1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Regeneration verses God's Drawing?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: That depends on whether or not what one considers is in light of the principles of truth and justice God places within our hearts and minds.

Do you deny that God has enlightened man’s conscience with truths of justice? Is it of no consequence to judge in accordance to or in opposition to such enlightenment?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

In my statement above I do not argue that all details of the gospel are present when the H.S convicts. Even John the Baptizer did not have them.

Romans 7 says "SIN IN ME" and "IN my FLESH" there is war.

If that is what you are trying to resist then resist the text no longer.

Having said that - I am not arguing in favor of all that Augustine said in his doctrine regarding original sin and the lost state of infants.

So now back to my previous question - setting aside Augustine and the idea that the full gospel details must be presented before God can convict and save.

If God ENABLES all even though the sinful nature would "naturally" DISABLE all - why not accept that?

in Christ,

Bob

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If the details of the gospel are not presented when the Holy Spirit convicts, is it your opinion that all have the gospel presented to them? If so, what verse states that your assumption is true?

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 10 -

"surely they have never heard have they?? indeed they HAVE!"

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: An astute and reasonable reader of the text just might in fact have a question to ask themselves. 'WHAT' have they heard?? The gospel? I think not.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not deny that "THEY HAVE HEARD" is the argument made in Romans 10 for "FAITH comes by hearing and HEARING by the Word of God".

The basics of the ONE Gospel message that goes into all the World via nature.

Now the part everyone knows --

Romans 10
    17 so
    faith comes from hearing,
    and hearing by the word of Christ.
    18 but i say, surely they have never heard, have they? Indeed they have;
    “their voice has gone out into all the earth,
    and their words to the ends of the world.”

The full text quoted in vs 18 above is as follows

Psalms 19
    1 the heavens are telling
    of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of his hands.
    2 day to day pours forth speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.
    3 there is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard.
    4 their line has gone out through all the earth, and their utterances to the end of the world. In them he has placed a tent for the sun,
    5 which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber; it rejoices as a strong man to run his course.
    6 its rising is from one end of the heavens, and its circuit to the other end of them; and there is nothing hidden from its heat.

Clearly Paul is appealing (again) to nature's voice in declaring the truth of God
    (as we already saw in Romans 1) - so that "they (the people - Jew and gentile) did hear" - fulfilling the
    condition –

And using that Ps 19 context – Paul then continues…

and this - is in perfect agreement with the opening context of the book of Romans - chapter 1.

Clearly - they are without excuse because God did manifest himself as described in the text and still they refused the God that "draws all men unto him".

So although Paul points to the witness of God's creation in Ps 19 as proving that
    Israel is "without excuse" and did have the opportunity to "believe" - he also points to the motive of jealousy as God's witness to non-Hebrew people results in salvation.

Again – Paul emphasizes the Gospel message of Isaiah (the Gospel prophet) confirming Paul’s statement that the Gospel message was given and that men rejected it then as they do today.

Indeed - God's chosen race, royal priesthood, holy nation - seemed to be rebelling against the God that called them, that chose them - in spite of the witness we see proclaimed in the OT and in Psalms 19 regarding creation itself

In Christ,

Bob

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BR: "surely they have never heard have they?? indeed they HAVE!"

HP:

An astute and reasonable reader of the text just might in fact have a question to ask themselves. 'WHAT' have they heard?? The gospel? I think not.

GE:

The text and context is clear, it is the cold-hearted Law of Judgement no one ever, escapes from which they have all heard -- the condemnation Calvinism consistently presupposes; which every human being is personally responsible for.
    The Gospel was that strange thing which Paul now introduced to these damned souls as the only way out.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BR:

"Again – Paul emphasizes the Gospel message of Isaiah (the Gospel prophet) confirming Paul’s statement that the Gospel message was given and that men rejected it then as they do today."

GE:

Yes, "in fact the Gospel was preached to them", says Hebrews 4. But nature did not proclaim it to them; nature or 'law' only condemned them. The prophets was it who proclaimed to them -- the very privileged to hear -- the Gospel!

Now, by your own admission, what do they all do with this Good Tidings? "...the Gospel message was given and .... men rejected it then as they do today" ....unless --- UNLESS by the grace and favour of God they in fact accept it. So says 'Calvinism'.