1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

regulative principle, normative principle, or what?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Jul 1, 2012.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would guess the regulative and normative principles of worship have been debated here, but do have a question:

Do you think worship should be aimed at whatever leads the most people to Christ, or aimed at whatever best feeds the flock already saved, or is that the wrong question?

Should the question be "what does God say about our services?"

I'm reading Here We Stand edited by Boice and Sasse and they bring up some good (to my mind) points but kind of leave it up to the reader to figure out what services that are centered about what God says about worship open.

Your thoughts?

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Our services should be geared to proclaim the gospel. They should be designed to worship God. It's also should be for edification of the believers. So I would say that they should be more designed for believers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't invite the unsaved to our services. What I don't like and don't find any support in Scripture is the changing of services to make it more like a place we thing the unsaved would like. It is a service designed for the gathering of believers to worship God and edify one another.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I guess showing movies at the church On friday nigh & serving them free popcorn and icecream cones is not rhe way to go about it?

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I am definitely a normative guy. I believe the service should be focused on giving glory to God, edifying believers, and pointing non-believers to the gospel...Centering a service on the Gospel accomplishes all of these. I think services should not be seeker driven, but seeker sensitive in the sense that if you use the word Justification, you explain what it, and other church-words, mean.

I have read a lot about the regulative principle, and simply think those who support it are adding restrictions that scripture does not add. I do think that we should center our church gatherings on reading and preaching scripture, praying (includes singing), and fellowship. But there are simply too many small questions that I think cannot be answered if one holds to a regulative principle. (music, carpet, electricity, announcements, etc,)