1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reincarnation The Second Birth!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Trying2DoRight, Jan 16, 2014.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

For these reasons:
    1. This is a debate forum, and you started this thread. Therefore participate.

2. You give the astute impression that kyredneck has already observed when he said:
    3. If indeed he is right, read the rules. Trolls will be banned. Save yourself the trouble. Use the back door. Make your exit. You won't be missed.

4. AT the very least read the rules again. You agreed to abide by them when you registered. Don't break your promises. Jesus said: Let your yea be yea, and your nay be nay. Is your word good enough to keep?

5. In consideration of my point #4, this is a debate forum. I would expect you to debate, that is, answer the question that arises out of your own posts. That is the nature of debate. If you don't want to do that, there is no reason for you to post here, is there?

2. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

By definition, "born again" (in English). Reincarnated wouldn't apply, again, by definition.

I think that the context shows, in Nicodemus' answer, that he heard "born again".

3. Trying2DoRight

Trying2DoRight New Member

Why are you trying to find a reason to ban me? Do I scare you that much with what I post?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Where did I say anything about banning anyone?

5. Trying2DoRight

Well, if you say you didn't then so be it...I can accept that.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So I come back to my original question (a question of another poster)

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That question has been answered give it a break.

8. Trying2DoRight

Thank you for your offer, I will keep it in mind!

9. Trying2DoRight

Right now I am leaning towards believing that say for example...
    Elijah was born again,“second birth” as John the baptist. But I am not 100%
    persuaded of this right now as of yet! I am still investigating and proving some things I think I have learned!

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let my try to explain the new birth.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    --There are two kinds of birth: one of the flesh (that is how we enter the world, and one of the Spirit. When Jesus said, "You must be born again, he was referring to the second birth "being born of the Spirit.
    We are all born of the flesh, but not all are born of the Spirit. Thus: "You must be born again."

How is this possible. Admittedly, Nicodemus was confused, and their were many confusing philosophical ideas floating around. But that doesn't matter. What matters is the truth. How is it possible to be born again?

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
    --Jesus said you must be born of water and of the Spirit in order to enter the kingdom of God. Note that here there are two agents mentioned and only two--water and Spirit. Most of us understand that Christ demands us to be born of the Spirit of God. Without the Holy Spirit there is no salvation. He is the one that does changing work in our lives at salvation. He regenerates our lives.

What then does "water" refer to? It is symbolic of something, but of what?
    The Catholics say it means water, but that is heresy. The passage does not teach "baptismal regeneration," or that baptism saves.
    Some teach that the "water" is amniotic fluid of the womb, but I don't think that Nicodemus would be thinking of that.
    I believe that the most plausible interpretation is that "water" is symbolic of the Word.

Nicodemus, knowing the OT, would have thought of Scripture such as Psalm 119:11, "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy Word."
    --God's Word cleanses us.

The question needs to be asked: What is water most commonly used for?
    It is an agent for washing. We all use water for washing, The Bible uses water symbolically for that which washes, and in this case it is the Word.

Jesus said:
    John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
    The Word washes us; cleanses us.

James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
    --Notice here that it is again the Word. But here the word used is begat, the same as "to be born," or born again. We are born again by the Word.

And the most clear passage of all:
    1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
    --Very clearly one is born again by the Word of God.
    This is the plain teaching of the Bible.

Remember there are two and only two agents by which a person is born again.
    John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
    One must be born of water (the Word) and of the Holy Spirit.
    The Holy Spirit works through the Word of God to bring salvation and regenerates the individual.
    Without the Word of God, the message of the Gospel it is impossible to be born again or saved. It is an absolute necessity. God's Spirit works in and through the the Word of God.
    Water cleanses. Water is symbolic of the Word. The Word cleanses. We are born again through the Word (1Pet.1:23).

11. Trying2DoRight

Thank you for explaining to me why you believe what you believe!

Do you believe that John the baptist was Elijah, reincarnated?

#71 Trying2DoRight, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  12. Trying2DoRight

Is there anyone of you, that believes John the baptist was Elijah reincarnated?

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, the Bible says that John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah. I don't believe in reincarnation at all. It is a pagan belief.

Luke 1:13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
    Luke 1:17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The new is in the old concealed, the old is in the new revealed"

No, John the Baptist came in ‘the spirit of Elijah’, he was the spiritual fulfillment of the prophecy, it was never intended to be a ‘literal’ return of Elijah. The same applies to David who was prophesied to return and be shepherd and king to His people, Christ is the spiritual fulfillment of the prophecy, it was never intended to be a ‘literal’ return of David:

1 Behold, I send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant, whom ye desire, behold, he cometh, saith Jehovah of hosts. Mal 3
    5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and terrible day of Jehovah come.
    6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers; lest I come and smite the earth with a curse. Mal 4

10 This is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, Who shall prepare thy way before thee.
    11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not arisen a greater than John the Baptist: yet he that is but little in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
    12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and men of violence take it by force.
    13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
    14 And if ye are willing to receive it, this is Elijah, that is to come. Mt 11

24 And my servant David shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in mine ordinances, and observe my statutes, and do them. Ezek 37
    11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up its ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old;
    12 that they may possess the remnant of Edom, and all the nations that are called by my name, saith Jehovah that doeth this. Amos 9

29 Brethren, I may say unto you freely of the patriarch David, that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us unto this day.
    30 Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins he would set one upon his throne;
    31 he foreseeing this spake of the resurrection of the Christ, that neither was he left unto Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.
    32 This Jesus did God raise up, whereof we all are witnesses.
    33 Being therefore by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath poured forth this, which ye see and hear.
    34 For David ascended not into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
    35 Till I make thine enemies the footstool of thy feet.
    36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know assuredly, that God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom ye crucified. Acts 2
    14 Symeon hath rehearsed how first God visited the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
    15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
    16 After these things I will return, And I will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen; And I will build again the ruins thereof, And I will set it up:
    17 That the residue of men may seek after the Lord, And all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, Acts 15

#74 kyredneck, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  15. Archie the Preacher

Now I can die. I've seen everything.

16. Trying2DoRight

Are you then going to become born again?

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Elijah and Moses appear in bodily form in Matt 17 along with Christ.

But John the baptizer had the same mission, message, spirit as Elijah in the sense that he copied many of Elijah's methods.

Elijah was alive and well at that time and would soon visit earth and stand beside Christ in Matt 17.

So... unless you believe that Elijah turned into "two people" and was "body sharing" or "soul sharing" in the case of John the baptizer...

in Christ,

Bob

18. Trying2DoRight

Thank your or your input. Right now I am not sure exactly what and how I believe concerning this. I still have some things to settle in what I understand and do not understand about the topic. I am waiting on the Lord for the answers. So till then I will just ask questions and take notes. And ponder my thoughts.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

hebrews makes it VERY clear, that we all have but one life appointed to us, then judgement by God!

Jesus said that one was to be reborn again right here and now, a spiritual rebirth, NOT one after physical death!

reincarnation denies the Cross, denies jesus resurrection, so NOT of God!