1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rejection of sinaiticus and Vaticanus? TR and the original autographs

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by jbh28, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Really? Who? What is a Pure Cambridge?

#61 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Winman

Winman Active Member

What a coincidence that those who support the MVs are so quick to display such un-Christian behavior as calling people liars. I have had several of you call me a liar now.

I did not lie, and I will show that. I am no scholar on these matters, nor do I aspire to be. But I have always understood that the notes the translators used which would show the exact texts they used were destroyed in a fire, so we do not know exactly what texts they used, though it is certain they used many of the sources you quoted. However, there are also deviations from all known texts.

So, as you see, I did not lie and I am not ignorant. Perhaps it is you that is misinformed.

#62 Winman, Jul 4, 2010
  3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Yes, what most everything they used(if not all) was destroyed. They used texts that were in the TR family. The current TR didn't come out till 1884 and there was nothing called TR till 1633.
    correct, which is why I reject king james onlyism because it is not of faith.
    So, are you advocating that we have a perfect line from the original writers of Scripture to the KJV? could you share with us where we could find this line? I do beleive that the WORDS will be preserved. I don't believe that copyist and translators were kept from error. Just because a copy is incorrect or a translation is incorrect, doesn't make the Word of God corrupt. Of course you don't think so either because you would have to say the Word was corrupt prior to the KJV.
    You add to what God said by saying it is in one translation.
    Because they were not. The writers of Scripture claimed it on some occasions because it was true. The translators of Scripture are not writing though inspiration. That would be false teaching.
    I'm sure God was helping them just like he helped the NIV translation team and the NASB translation team and the NKJV... He wasn't keeping them from error. That wold be false teaching.
    That would be false teaching to say that God was keeping the translators of the English from error. you have 0 Bible to support this. So if it is faith, you might want to check to see what this faith is in.
    I'm not saying there were not typographical errors(there were) but not all were. I get the impression you really are not interested in any view that opposes what you have already decided to believe. That would be more correct for you. I have studied this issue out and compared it with the Bible. I don't teach things(like kjv onlyism) that are not taught in the Bible. I teach only the Bible.

Again, I'm sure some were, but you can't say all of them were. And if they were being guided, why didn't God keep them from typo errors? That's why double inspiration(God guiding the kjv translators to correct translation) is false teaching.
    Cambridge is the KJV. What can we compare the KJV to as the standard. Can't compare with itself to see if it is right.

you said "Because there was an infallible standard, these mistakes were spotted and corrected. You just can't grasp this can you.

What was this infallible standard they compared the KJV to to correct the errors. I'm assuming the Cambridge is what you think is this corrected version, so what did they compare it to, to see that the Cambridge was correct?

Good, and stay away from here. She gives kjvo's a bad name. As I have said before, there are good reasons to be kjvo. I only comment on the bad ones. Riplinger's are the bad ones.

We have other copies of what they used. They didn't use just one text(which I believe you agree) which means there wasn't a perfect text they went by. So, that being true, was the Bible corrupt? Of course not! But according to what you have been advocating, it was.

You are comparing numbers between texts. What I said was the the differences don't change any doctrine. No doctrine rests on any textual variant. Personally, I think there are places where the TR has added words and the CT has added words and places where the TR has missing words and the CT has missing words. I don't see either text as perfect. I personally believe the CT is closer, but if you disagree, not a problem. No doctrine will be changed.

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

What's the source of your quote. I've seen it before but don't remember where. Also, I only called you a liar before because you grossly misrepresented me when I clearly defined my position. I didn't recant that when you said you misunderstood my view.

However, we don't have THEIR COPIES, but we do have a pretty good idea of what they used based on what was available at the time. It would be like you kjv being destroyed. I have a copy of the KJV too.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have seen you several times say you believe the words will be preserved. What does that mean?

And when you say because a copy or translation is incorrect, that doesn't mean God's word is corrupt. That is true, but how in the world is a person to know where God's Word ends, and man's word starts?

So, if I understand you and some of the other MVs, you believe God's word is preserved, but it is all mixed up with man's word. That would be a very dangerous bible indeed.

And I don't consider that preserved. If I preserve some apple jam and open the jar and it is all full of mold and contamination, I hardly consider that preserved, but perhaps you do.

I don't believe as you. I believe God actually preserved his pure word like he promised to do. I cannot explain how he did it and how it came about, but I believe he did it nonetheless. I don't believe like you that God's word is all mixed up with man's word, at least not in the KJB.

And in one post you said you didn't care about word order if I recall correctly. You can't possibly mean this.

Luke 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

What would this verse say if you simply swapped the word order of destroy and save? It would say:

For the Son of main is not come to save men's lives, but to destroy them. And they went to another village.

So, this is incredibly false, word order is extremely important.

And here is the source of that quote, although I have seen much more detailed information on this and am trying to find it.

http://www.faithfulwordbaptist.org/kingjamesbible.html

#65 Winman, Jul 4, 2010
  6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

The same way they did before the KJV came about.
    It's preserved just like it was before the KJV. Think about that for a while.
    So the Bible wasn't preserved before the KJV? So I guess the KJV was more of a resurrection than a preservation seeing as it was not preserved prior. Unless you do really consider that preserved. :rolleyes:
    You say how by saying it is in one version. But what about before the KJV? hmmmm???
    In English, no word order isn't inspired. All translations(including the KJV) changes the order of words in translating. Now if you are referring to the original languages, I don't mean it isn't important, but that doctrinally, Jesus Christ or Christ Jesus doesn't change.
    Again, you misrepresent me. Why don't you ask before you make comments as such. I never said word order wasn't ever important. And you know I didn't. Read what I said in context and don't misuse my comments. I never said word order was never important.
    Oh, the false teacher of Steven Anderson. I hope you pee standing up!

Again, we do know what they used by knowing what was available at the time. Their particulars were destroyed, but we can look at the KJV and tell what was being used. Not one particular text was used(showing that not one text was pure and perfect)

btw, Steven Anderson is a nut. Be careful what you read of his. He believes in this easy believe-ism and I'm afraid many think they are saved because they prayed some magic words without sincerely meaning it and therefore thinking they are saved when they are not. Its sad he has about 20 people in his church but claims to have saved thousands. Where are all these people, or did he abandoned them after he got his "number"?

I hope you notice that I haven't advocated you to read the KJV. In fact I have said you being KJVO was fine(shocked, I know :D) but there are some good reasons to be kjvo. I just caution you to stay away from the bad ones. Anderson has plenty of bad ones.

#66 jbh28, Jul 4, 2010
  7. God's_Servant

God's_Servant New Member

If I am correct, Greek, like Latin, does not require words to be in a specific order as English does. (if I am misinformed, by all means correct me)

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Really? Who? What is a Pure Cambridge?

Maybe you missed this WM? (or maybe I am on his ignore list :) )

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

You should run for politics, you aren't saying anything here. How did they do it before the KJB? Please explain.

Another non-answer that says nothing at all. You make all sorts of vague statements that nobody could possibly understand. Why don't you explain so people can know what you are really saying?

Of course it was preserved, how could they translate something that didn't exist? However, it was not preserved in one volume, the translators looked at as many texts possible to put it together. I am not the one to explain it to you, but there are many good books on the texts that the KJB had available, and how they decided which was scripture and which was not and how they weeded out error.

It is obvious that no matter what anyone (especially me) tells you, you have already made your mind up. This is really a big waste of time.

You don't get it, and this time it is correct to say you don't understand it. God promised to preserve his word. Now, you either believe that or you don't. I believe God did preserve his word. I can't explain how he did it, yet I believe he did it.

You on the other hand will not accept anything on faith. You want some scholarly answer for everything. You trust in man's wisdom. Well, you are never going to find an answer, because many scholarly men will write books supporting the KJB, and an equal number will write scholarly books against it. I can tell you right now you will never find an answer to this question by studying books written by man. If you want to spin your wheels and waste your time, that is up to you. But I get the impression that the real problem is that you simply do not believe God preserved his pure word as he promised to do. His promise is not good enough for you, you do not want to live by faith, you want scholarly proof. Good luck on that.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Oh, this gets better by the minute! Now you're quoting Sanderson...a banned BB member, who outright says, "I worship the King James Bible."

Nice job. You're quoting heretics. You might want to pick sources with at least a thread of credibility.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I quoted him because that is all I could find at present on those notes being destroyed by fire. I do not know anything about Sanderson, but he did not make this up, it is historical record. I have even seen others here speak of it before.

I will keep searching, and when I find a different source I will post it. Of course, that does not guarantee you will accept it, I get the strong impression that you will not.

12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually I haven't. Maybe earlier than the regular view 7th Century. But Remember in the 4th Century we only have partial agreement and liturgical use was in practice. You can see a development when the empire moved back east and Byzantine use became practiced. Your position of prior to 4th Century is still speculation and unsubstantiated.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you display a lack of truthfulness. I don't support the so-called "modern versions."
    I don't know who you were quoting but whoever it was is as wrong as you. If you would do a little research instead of just cutting and pasting from KJVO web pages you would know that Dr. Ward Allen published "Translating For King James" which are photographic copies of the copious notes produced by John Bois, secretary to the translation committees. The notes were published back in 1969 by Vanderbilt University Press. So, once again you have proven yourself to be either a liar or completely ignorant of the subject at hand.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only suggest you read Harry A. Sturz, The Byzantine Text-Type and New Testament Textual Criticism (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1984), paying close attention to pages 137-230 where he identifies 150 distinctively Byzantine readings dating prior to the mid 4th century.

I might also suggest you read my good friend Maurice Robinson’s “A Case for Byzantine Priority” and “Introduction to the New Testament in the Original Greek According to the Byzantine / Majority Textform” by Dr. Robinson and the late William Pierpont.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am glad you do not support the modern versions. But you have a real problem calling people liars don't you?

Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Jesus said that a man speaks that which is in his heart. Maybe you should think about that before you go around calling people liars.

By the way, thank you for the information, however, that is a copy of only one of the translators notes.

And as far as copying and pasting, we all rely on other sources at times, including yourself.

#75 Winman, Jul 4, 2010
  16. Winman

Winman Active Member

OK, I think I have found some information on the fire that destroyed the original texts.

Now, this fellow is absolutely anti-KJB, but what he says does not bother me in the least. I have said and will always say that this issue cannot be settled through scholarship. Eventually you will have to come to the realization that a person must believe God preserved the scriptures by faith. There is no way to prove it though scholarship.

And now, those who have called me a liar can see that I am not.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

"Faith" based in ignorance is not faith. I won't call you a liar, but you have been deceived by false teachers.

I daresay that you ALSO trust in "man's wisdom". No one that is an honest man can say that he found the doctrine of KJVO in his Bible. It's not there. You can twist the Scriptures to make it appear so, but it's not there.

I have a great deal of respect for men like Dr. Cassidy and Dr. Bob, who have more knowledge than I do on this subject and whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose. May I suggest that we all take a lesson from their example- first of all even if they are not 100% in agreement on Bible versions, they still manage to get along and be civil- and second, they STUDY the issue for themselves rather than pasting quotes from ignoramuses who quote ignoramuses, who quote... well, I hope you get the idea.

#77 Mexdeaf, Jul 4, 2010
  18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You don't understand: He's not "anti-KJB". No one here on the BB is "anti-KJB"- at least no one I know is. (I used the KJV in my sermon today and no one batted an eyelash. I also used the ESV and the NIRV. God's not limited to using just ONE version.)

Many of us ARE "anti-KJVO"- a false doctrine that divides churches, destroys missions, and damns people to hell based on their choice of bible version.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, you could sure fool me. So what if people like myself believe that the KJB is the preserved word of God? I have been called an idolator and a heretic. I haven't said anything like that about those who choose to believe in many various versions, although I will say I disagree with you.

If folks just said they disagreed with myself and others, that would be one thing. But when people spew poisonous hatred it absolutely comes across as hatred toward the KJB.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I would say that you're easy to fool, but I won't. :smilewinkgrin:

Poisonous hatred towards the doctrine of KJVO hatred to the KJV. Say it to yourself a few times and it should start to take hold.

YOU are the one demanding the extra-Biblical requirement:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.