1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

relapse?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Now that be a fact.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Anytime a person bases an entire doctrine on one scripture, such as the one in 1Jn. that freeatlast does, they are almost assured to come up with the wrong interpretation. We must compare scripture with scripture to come up with the correct doctrine.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Hey Sissy Amy, save me some of that possum stew. Don't hog it to yerself....

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Although we often have differing viewpoints, perspectives, interpretations etc., on this, we are on the same page. Despite the eloquence and tenacity of Luther, I still have some respect for Erasmus.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PREACH.....Thats simply "Verbal Economy"

My people are from Pennsylvania..... Its called Heyna Valley .... Obama needs to study this film considering he is going to Scranton today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sMI2jb16eo

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I really would like to hear FAL's answer to this question. Can a true christian choose to sin repetitively for a time, then repent. I notice he has not actually answered it yet.

-Some have said he was really saved.
    -Fal quoted a verse but did not answer the question.
    -I would say we simply don't know, since there are complete pagans who give up alchohol and then relapse after 20 years, it could have nothing to do with salvation, or it might be that he is a true christian who for a short time returned to a sin that he had once given up. My doctrine of perserverance would say that his subsequent repentance and renewed commitment to God (if in fact that is what happened, the OP doesn't say) give evidence that He could in fact be a true christian.

-If the answer is no, he wasn't for those 20 years, but if he has truly repented of his drunkenness NOW, then he is truly saved and will not lose it...I think that raises lots of questions about whether it is faith in Christ or giving up a big sin that saves him.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I answered it the only way it could be answered and that is with the word of God. Some just do not believe the word and seek to get around it. However Let's change the scenario a little. If a person professes salvation and lives it for say twenty years, including being delivered from child molestation, then has a relapse that lasts for say 6 months molesting children daily then recovers, would you say that person was never really saved to begin with?

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Christian addicted to alcohol is not a sinner because of said addiction.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

True, but a christian who is addicted to alcohol who gets drunk is sinning.

Also, a Christian who is addicted to alcohol who drinks one drink "not of faith" is sinning.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I don't have a good answer for this...perhaps those smarter than me will answer. I would tend to say...
    --These sins are not equal (both sins, I know). But one is a deliberate preying on other people...the other can often be more of a private sin. I don't know exactly what that means, but i thought it should be mentioned. Also, I would say the 2 situations have the potential to reveal 2 different states of the persons heart... one cold toward the suffering of others, one possibly hating his sin but not knowing how to overcome it.

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Once we have been saved by Grace of God, than up to Him to keep us until day we are fully redeemed by jesus, as when we receive our glorified bodies, full removed from both the presense/power of sin!

galatians 5 has the Apostle paul stating clearly that while here on earth, after salvation, still have a sin nature to deal with as a saint...

IF we yield to the flesh, can and do sin, yield to HS produces fruit...

Christians free to chose to sin or not, and if we willfully sin against God, John commands to confess to God and get cleansed, while Hebrews asks us to lay down/put aside besitting sins that hinder our running, so saints can get into seasons of sin still!

#51 JesusFan, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
  12. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    12strings..., have you ever gazed at a beautiful young woman..., twice?

More so than "once" I would imagine.

Would this "sin" of eyeballing that beautiful young woman be worse than the "sin" of taking that one drink..., not of faith?

Prior to my salvation I had no problem with alcohol. None what-so-ever. I could consume the slop or walk away from it. Many people cannot and many lives have been ruined because of it.

Alcohol can grab one's soul as in a death grip and never turns loose. It's a constant daily struggle/fight to resist the urge that lasts a lifetime. There is no escape from alcoholism..., but you're aware of this already.

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

#53 12strings, Nov 30, 2011
  14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

12strings, this question often perplexed me. I just simply have to allow God, who has the higher pay grade, to handle things. Personally, I do see some "distinction" between "private sins" and "high handed" sins, but have no answer for "how" God, or if He does see them differently.

15. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Despite my previous post, I do not generally think of sins in terms of levels of sins. I would say all sins are sins before God, those we consider big or small. But Different sins in scriptures seem to have different consequences and be treated differently.

That said, I would ask FAL a follow-up question:
    -Can a true Christian, for a moment, hate his brother, then immediatly repent of it?
    -Can a true Chrisitian, in a moment of anger, Kill his brother, then immediatly repent of it?

Niether of those is would be "practicing" sin, would they? Would you make any distinction in the type of sin?

(I would say both are possible, but the second is much less likely and would lead to much more legitimate questions about the persons' salvation, as it would probalby reveal that there HAS been a lifelong pattern of anger and hate; which MAY reveal that the person does not know the mercy of Christ.)

16. JesusFan

Fal point on this though seems to be ignoring the human condition that even spirit filled/saved saints can freely and willfully choose to sin still, NOT what God wants, nor can do with chaistasment from the Lord, but can even fall into an addiction IF allowing satan a foot hold into ones life!

Also has weird non biblical views on confession/repentence of the saints!

#56 JesusFan, Nov 30, 2011
  17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well Brother JF, in the OP, the scenario involved drinking over a six month period. Now, if one is getting drunk repeatedly over this six month period, then that would be practicing sin.

That is why I am a "teetotaller". Hard to witness with a Bud Light in your hand, or a Jack and Coke, if you ask me. Whoever wants to drink, pour it on it. But, do so in your own home, please?

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is not true. Alcoholism is a sin when practiced. It is a sin because it is the result of lessor previous sin that has went wild. There are people who are addicted to stealing. They are called kleptomaniacs. They are sinners as is their addiction just like alcoholism is sin. No one starts out being an alcoholic. It takes practicing sin which turns into an addiction which is also sin. It is sin from sinning.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not trying to be smart here, just clear. Sounds like you have found an excuse to reject
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

Think about what you are doing. :eek:

#59 freeatlast, Nov 30, 2011
  20. JesusFan

David was an unrepentant murderer/adulterer who took a year to "break down" and confess those sins to the Lord...

was he really saved, or lost during that time, as he was practicing/harboring sins in his life!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.