1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Relative Age of a Youth Pastor

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by LarryN, Jun 20, 2005.

1. LarryN

LarryN New Member

In the past, I've read a couple of articles (none handy at the moment) in which the author has seemed to conclude that the relative age of a youth pastor to their youth is somehow related to their effectiveness in the position (whatever "effectiveness" might be assumed to mean).

What say anyone? Is a youth pastor in his 20's going to be more "effective" that one in his 50's (as an example), or possibly vice-versa? Does anyone believe that age can be such a factor in youth ministry?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I think "apparent age" is more of a factor than "chronological age." A person needs to be able to connect with youth, regardless of their own age, to be an effective youth leader. I've seen twenty-somethings do it, and I've seen seventy-somethings do it.

Youth are looking for leaders who are energetic, challenging, vital, and above all, genuine - they can spot a fake from miles away. Age can be a factor, but it's certainly not the only factor - I've seen some 25 year old fuddy-duddies, too! :D

Please understand that I'm talking about pure mechanics here. There is power given by the Holy Spirit which transcends all of our baseline rules. That means anyone ordained by God to lead youth can effectively lead youth - because their power doesn't come from age, or ability to relate, but from God Himself.

Having said that, you don't see many youth ministers in their 50's, do you! ;)

3. patrick

patrick New Member

The most successful youth people I know are in their 30's. Alot of young youth ministers have alot ego about them and their ministry. It takes a while to realize it is all about God.

4. robertkyxiota

robertkyxiota New Member

DEFINATLY. I've gone in and did ministry jobs, at 19-20 and had most people think I was 25-27. On the other hand I've seen ministers that are 25-30 that act like they are 18-19. I don't think there's a set "This is the best age for youth ministers." As USN said, I've seen people 20 and some people far older than that, be successful in youth ministry.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think you are right on [​IMG]

6. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

One of the Best Youth Pastors I know is around 60 years old BUT he knows how to connect with youth.

I was a Youth Pastor back in the later 80's and early 90's for about 5 years and I was between 24-29 then. The trap of some Youth Pastors is trying to act like they are a Teenager and be someone they are not.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We had a previous youth pastor who was almost my age. At the time, he was 49. Nehru collars, bleached hair, rock n roll parties, ski trips, everything but preaching and Bible study.

Our current youth minister is 35 -36 and has been with us 2 years. When he first came, we lost all the 'fluff' kids and now have a large group who go out witnessing, have extended Bible studies, have a Doula ministry that goes out on the weekend to do chores for shut in's or home repairs for low income families.

Children and Youth are the future of our church. A dedicated and God first Youth Minister may be one of the most important aspects of every church!

[​IMG]
    Pastor Jon Price

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

No, they are the church now.

I know you did not mean it in a wrong way. Just the phrase "youth are the future of our church" is one of my pet peeves. Youth and children are just as much a part of the church now as any adult. I think the attitude by many adults helps lead to the problem of youth not being a part of a church when they get to be adults. They feel that they are second class citizens in many ways.

That is why it is so important to give them solid Biblical truth and application for their lives.

Ok I will step down off my soap box for the day [​IMG]