1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reliable Translations

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gayla, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I believe that these words are much more prejudicial than they are objectively accurate. The fact is that the very large majority of Biblical scholars favor the Alexandrian Text-Type over the Byzantine Text-Type. Yes, in recent years a few readings of the Byzantine Text-Type have been given more weight by scholars than they had been in the past, but there certainly is not a growing consensus that the Byzantine Text-Type is more reliable than the Alexandrian Text-Type.

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I agree that these three criteria are the most important, but I strongly believe that the “second” criterion is the most important. The “third” criterion is less important, but nonetheless very important. The “first” criterion is much less important than either of the other two, and I must agree with the large majority textual critics and other Bible scholars (rather than Scanwmatos) that the Alexandrian text-type is superior to the Byzantine text-type.

If anyone wants to study the issue of New Testament text-types, I suggest the reading of the following book:

The Byzantine Text-Type & New Testament Textual Criticism written by Harry A Sturz and published by Thomas Nelson Publishers

3. mioque

mioque New Member

Just to disagree with Philip for a moment.

"As for the Old Testament there is little doubt that we have accurately defined the manuscripts to where they are very, close to the originals."
    ''
    The differences between various types of OT texts are larger than between NT text types.
    I will be polite for once and not speculate about why there is less debate on message boards on different OT readings.