1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Religion and Politics Entwine in Russia

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Nevada, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Nevada

Nevada New Member

Our poor President, George W. Bush, said he looked into Vladimir Putin's eyes and found a good man. I think he could have used eye glasses, as Putin is thought to have ordered the killing of opponents of the status quo in Russia.

Now, young women are on trial for protesting in a church. Had the same thing happened in the USA, young ladies might get a month in jail, at the most. The prosecutor in Russia is looking for 3 years!

I sense a scheme by Putin to stifle dissent. But, what strikes me the most, is how the formerly atheistic USSR quickly became the new Russia, where religion isn't persecuted, but is -used- by the state. I think this because the thrust of the trial is that the protesters committed blasphemy. Maybe in some indirect way they did, but I think this is really about blasphemy of Putin The Demi God.

Hmmm. I hate to see religious leaders become involved in politics. It's like playing rugby. You're going to get dirty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/pussy-riot-trial_n_1750811.html