1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Religion Back Then

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

From the Foxfire Series 4, as told by Annie Perry:

"Religion back then wasn't a bit more important than it is now, but they did live better than they do now. I believe they was more conscientious Christians then than they are now. In your reading and going about, don't you think they were, too? They observed God's laws more than they do now. You never heard of nobody going fishing on Sunday. They's breaking the Sabbath. And in my childhood days, if they took a gun and went squirrel hunting, the neighbors around were the grand jurors. They would prosecute 'em for it and it much more than they do now. My grandmother was reared in South Carolina, and she was a Presbyterian. She said they didn't get to cook a thing on Sunday-not a thing. They cooked up food on Saturday to do 'till Monday morning. They made a little tea and that's ever'thing that was done. But they had to tend to the hogs and cows. But as for cooking, all their food, they ate it cold. They went to church and if somebody was sick, they went to visit 'em, to see if they could do anything for 'em. And if they didn't need nothing done, they'd come back home. And they stayed home the rest of the day.
    I cook my Sunday dinner of a morning. I cook my dinner when I cook my breakfast and if somebody wants to come and eat dinner with me, why they can, but they eat just like I do. Sometimes I go visiting in the afternoon, sometimes I don't. Everybody ought to have one day out of seven."

love,

Sopranette

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sunday is not the sabbath.
    To some people, christianity is still important (the author uses the word religion, which does not necessarily mean christianity).
    Neighbors persecuting neighbors is wrong.

3. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heh.

So many like to look back with their rose-tinted glasses welded on.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The good Christians of Salem, Mass. were good at keeping the witches among them in check!

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I saw that movie too............:)

I don't know if it was so wrong for neighbors expecting others to live a good moral life and back then, as always, the today's morals are usually a standard of the people as far as taking care of your family and being a good neighbor. I know if a man didn't support his family, he was frowned upon by the whole community, as he should be.

If our neighbors today live at night a loud and wild night at their homes, it is frowned upon by the community and I think that it should be.

The community is shared by all is why everyone looks to how others are behaving.

BBob,

#5 Brother Bob, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  6. Magnetic Poles

So you are saying . . . "It takes a village?"

BTW, the Salem Witch Trials wasn't a movie...it is historical fact.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It was a movie also and it sure was a strict way of living.

I don't know if it takes a village or not. We could go back in the mountains and live as a hermit, but we we all live in a community setting, then there is always ways of that community that is expected of everyone. Don't you think?

BBob,

8. Magnetic Poles

To a limited degree. However, personal liberty trumps what someone thinks I should be doing, unless it is impacting them. For example, I shouldn't be having loud parties that disturb my neighbors late at night, but if I commit adultery that is not anyone's business. Not that I would, mind you, but you get my drift.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree but doubt if the woman's husband would.....:laugh:

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post, Sorpranette! :thumbs: Don't let the cavils of nominal Christians get to you.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ..........:thumbs:

12. Magnetic Poles

You wont think it trivial when your neighbors report YOU. The victims of the Stasi certainly didn't. Nor is it up to you to say anyone is a "nominal" Christian, which is tatamount to casting aspersions as to their salvation.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

The neighbors in the op were hunting, not throwing wild parties or negelecting their familes. As a matter fo fact, back then hunting was taking care of their families.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Pretty judgemental of everyone who disagrees aren't you.

15. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Well, I certainly like the "no cooking on Sunday" part myself!

love,

Sopranette

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Was talking of 2 different times. Didn't mean wild parties during the witch times.
    Wild parties were in these times. Though I imagine they might of had a few wild times in those days and tried to keep it secret. It been going on since the beginning of time, doubt if any different then. :thumbs:

BBob,

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

First off, good post Sopranette. I love the foxfire series, read them all, own most. Of course we live in the NC mountains so lots of the stories are familiar and true. Shame about what we learned about Eliot later. Thanks for the post.

For those of you unfamiliar with the series the post is a quotation from an older person living in the mountains reminiscing about past days. You have to be careful what you read as fact vs memory. Now Annie Perry is talking about keeping the Sabbath and at the time the “Blue Laws” would have been in full effect in NC and GA. It was against the law to hunt on Sunday. I remember when it was against the law for stores to be open. Over the years first the drug stores opened and then the groceries, then the gas stations, and now everything is open but it did not used to be like that. It is still illegal to sell beer on Sundays in GA and you have to wait until 12 in NC. And it is still against the law to hunt on Sunday in NC. That law has been on the books since 1869 and is still in effect. It has been a big issue in the state house for several years but as of today it is still illegal to get your gun and go squirrel hunting on Sunday, at least in NC it is. In GA I think it is legal but I know several other states still ban Sunday hunting.

Annie Perry talks about neighbors serving on the jury and prosecuting people for even minor infractions like game laws and says that they lived a lot stricter back then. She is not talking about neighbors “persecuting” neighbors but society “prosecuting” lawbreakers and enforcing the law. There is nothing wrong with society enforcing the law and we even have the biblical command to follow those laws (I Pet 2:13). If you pick up your gun and go squirrel hunting when it is illegal to do so you are breaking the law and should expect to be caught and punished. For anyone to equate that with the Salem Witch trials is a leap of logic that defies explanation.

Of course neighbors ensure neighbors follow the law. That is the foundation of our entire judicial system and the idea of a trial by a jury of your peers. And that applies to any laws enacted by our country be it squirrel hunting, adultery, tax evasion, illegal drug manufacturing, or murder. I appreciate your zeal for personal liberty MP but when your personal liberty violates the laws of our nation then you have exercised your freedom to the point that you are infringing upon the freedom and safety of others and you should be held accountable.

18. Magnetic Poles

I never have said otherwise. In fact you have stated my position very clearly. However, the example of adultery is not a civil crime. Therefore, it is no one's business but the involved parties. I despise busybodies who butt in where they don't belong. Also, if a law infringes on liberty, it should be repealed. As my dad told me, "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

In the op she speaks about breaking the sabbath, and going hunting, and neighbors persecuting one another. Nothing there about law and court, that would prosecuting, not persecuting.

20. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well, in the quote Sopranette gave us it says prosecute not persecute and says that the neighbors in question were on the grand jury. That is why I was thinking of law and court.