1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Religious Discrimination

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 23, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am open to constructive criticism.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That's just the point- ALL criticism is constructive. You just have to learn how to take it.

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Not Sure I agree...

Mex...I'm not sure I can agree with the above emboldened part of your post. I have encountered people who criticize BECAUSE that is their nature and they mean it in a mean and destructive way. That said though I will agree that if the hearer can objectively take something positive out of the critics "barbs" then that speaks volumes towards the nature and strength of HIS character.
    As to my comments on pg.1 of this thread about my own resume, I have chosen to make it plain in the "personal information" section of my resume which I distribute both in person and on-line with internet job boards that I am a born-again Christian who attends church. In addition, in my personal contact information on that resume my personal Email address includes (in part)the screenname TrustingChrist. I make these things plain because I want people to know at least basically what I am UP FRONT. It is,however, up to me to live up to that. I know it is possible that putting that information out there in such a manner may limit some of the opportunities that come my way. As to the kind of possible discrimination brother Evangelist is talking about...well..if it happens, it happens. It should be no surprize in the world we find ourselves in today.
    Companies that are hiring have every right to try and determine the nature of the people they are trying to hire and they are looking for people that will be a good "fit" for their companies goals and needs. We as Christians, should always try to be sensitive to how the Lord is leading us about the vocations we choose. There are opportunities (and the need) for some of us to be "shining lights in places of darkness" in the secular places of this world....and there are also opportunities for people to serve the Lord in full-time ministries in a Christian "environment". Some people are better equipped and suited for one or the other. Our "job" is to be dead to this flesh and filled with the Spirit and His fruits so that we can be a living display of the character of the Lord Jesus Christ regardless of where we go or what we do.:thumbsup:

Bro.Greg:saint:

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My point exactly. I cannot change the critics but I can change myself.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take it that God may not want me there and He has a better place for me. Companies will ask trick questions like that one to filter people out and I guess being 100% honest means that some companies will re-interpret my words as "bad mouthing" when I am just stating facts. If thats their position then maybe its better I not be working there and that God has somewhere else for me.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If what the critic says has factual value then yes. But sometimes critics lie and flame others and their criticisms have no value. Or sometimes the critic does not know what he is talking about.

For example a critic at a church may blast me because I used the NIV or some non KJV translation at a church when speaking. He has nothing else to say but that. How should I respond? I try and respsond in gentleness and respect, but at this point the critic has an agenda and wishes to jam his POV down my throat.

Another instance a critic does not like the fact that I am on a strict diet and I wont eat everything. The critic blasts me for beign unsociable or something of the sort, when I am eating the way I am for health reasons. How can one respond to such a critic as the critic has an agenda..

Or I have a critic blast me because I wrote a negative review of his self-help or Charismatic book. How should I respond? I am speaking the truth and the critic is trying to "demonize" me for disagreeing with his book.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We can disagree. It's not my job to judge the critic's motive.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am welcome and love constructive criticism. But I hate it when people try and jam their agenda and preferences down my throat. There are prefs and principles.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allow me to provide an example from a recent interviewing committee I was part of: we asked the gentleman about a comment he had made on his resume. He explained by talking about how his predecessor had a nervous break-down.

It was very easy to look through his previous employer's records and find out who his predecessor was. In other words, this gentleman had shared medically-related knowledge about someone else, and we had no idea if he had been granted permission by the individual or anyone else to share such information. Which made us wonder, if we hired him, what sensitive information would he share with others about us or our clients?

He was just stating facts; but we didn't hire him.

10. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Looks like you took it the wrong way. *sigh*

#30 Arbo, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point taken. I need to be wise about what I say in interviews. I am preparing how I will respond the next time to such questions.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure what way you were implying a a great many of your posts are criticism of me or someone.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

As I understood your initial post, you were blaming an interview that went poorly on the interviewer's bias toward your religion. Making unflattering statements about previous coworkers usually does little to help make a good impression. Judging strictly by what you wrote, it seems unfair to claim religious discrimination for an interview that didn't go well.

If I have offended you, I apologise.

14. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

You know, in all fairness, before I became a Christian (in 1990) I was one of those who could be pretty abusive to Christian. I scoffed at some of the things that Christian said. (Oddly enough I was raised in the S. Baptist church and always always believed in Jesus and God). That's not the same thing as being a Christian though.

Later, after I became a Christian, I began to experience some religious discrimination (actually quite a bit). I worked at a University and you can imagine what Christians can encounter in that atmosphere. Ridicule because I didn't want to go out a party like the others. Ridicule because I didn't go along with what some professors and their followers claimed.

Honestly though...that's not real persecution...not like what some Christians in other parts of the world experience.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Perspective is everything. You said it better than I did.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Accepted. I will take you off my ignore list. Anyways yes I need a better tact on handling those type of questions and will not get specific. If they ask me how I dealt with a difficult employee I will be very vague.

My new template for interview questions.

2. How do you deal with negative employees?

Everywhere I have worked there has been a negative employee. But my goal is not to let them get to me, but to focus on getting the job done and not let their negativity and criticism ruin my day.

3. What did you not like about your last job?

Be very vague and do not get into any details. Say something like There are always something I did not like about something everywhere I have worked, but my goal is to not fixate on negatives and just focus on getting the job done to the best of my ability and pleasing the employer and the customer.

#36 evangelist6589, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
  17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well said, very well said indeed.