1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Remembering Gerald Ford (noteworth speech selections)

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Scarlett O., Dec 27, 2006.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give these speeches a good read. If you are too young to remember President Gerald Ford or don't really remember him well, here's one way to get to know, to some degree, who he was in our American history.

(1.) August 9, 1974 - "Swearing-in Speech" http://www.ford.utexas.edu/LIBRARY/SPEECHES/740001.htm

(2.) September 8, 1974 - "Pardoning Richard Nixon" http://www.ford.utexas.edu/LIBRARY/SPEECHES/740060.htm

(3.) August 12, 1974 - "Address to the Joint Session of Congress"

(end of speech)

"Frequently, along the tortuous road of recent months from this chamber to the President's House, I protested that I was my own man. Now I realize that I was wrong.

I am your man, for it was your carefully weighed confirmation that changed my occupation.
    The truth is I am the people's man, for you acted in their name, and I accepted and began my new and solemn trust with a promise to serve all the people and do the best that I can for America.

When I say all the people, I mean exactly that.

To the limits of my strength and ability, I will be the President of black, brown, red, and white Americans, of old and young, of women's liberationists and male chauvinists--[laughter]--and all the rest of us in-between, of the poor and the rich, of native sons and new refugees, of those who work at lathes or at desks or in mines or in the fields, of Christians, Jews, Moslems, Buddhists, and atheists, if there really are any atheists after what we have all been through.

Fellow Americans, one final word: I want to be a good President. I need your help. We all need God's sure guidance. With it, nothing can stop the United States of America.

Thank you very much."

#1 Scarlett O., Dec 27, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

His presidency will probably always remain under-rated due to the amount of scandal the brought him into office and the lack of leadership that followed him in Carter.