1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Renouncing the Catholic faith formally

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Croyant, May 17, 2015.

1. Croyant

Croyant New Member

I have been born and raised a Catholic, although I ceased frequenting the church in my teens, all the while remaining a believer. I grew in faith a few years ago and desired to join a church with a strong fellowship. I ended up going to a local baptist church and following their baptism preparation course, which exposes the main points of their doctrine.

I agree with the essential points, although when it concerns Catholicism I remain more moderate. I have completed roughly half of the course at this point.

A few days ago I completed another course with the pastor, and he gave me a form. The form was a declaration that I renounced the Catholic faith, to be sent to the parish I was baptized in, and he was very keen on me doing that. He said to me it would be wrong to be a member of two different congregations. I don't disagree with it.

However, for some reason it feels a bit antagonistic to me. Where I live, at least culturally (although few people go to church), roughly 90% of people are Catholics, and only 0.5% or so are Evangelicals. So I don't know, maybe this is why they seem to want to take more of a stand.

For this reason that is the first time in the course where I started to have doubts. He said I would be viewed an apostate by the Catholic church because she still views evangelical churches as sects. It feel like a lot to me to sever all ties in such a fashion, I don't know if I would be capable, because where I live, a lot of one's sense of identity is tied to Catholicism itself.

So I wonder if this is a common practice among baptist churches and if I should remain in this church, for which I have otherwise no complaints.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In my opinion...notice 'my'...if you're having doubts, hold off for a while. No need to rush as you really need to be led by the Spirit. He will never lead you wrong.

But I do agree that to have membership in a Catholic and Baptist church concurrently would be tough on both parties. But take your time if you're having some doubts...

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you would make more of an impact to your community by staying put in Catholism but disagreeing with their faith and practice. I'm sure this Baptist guy wants you to make a clean brake of it......But your not prepared to do that just yet. Fess up and tell him that. If he gets indignant then he isn't real and you are better off fining another church anyway.

Brother listen, if God is with you, then just put aside your worries...it will sort itself out.

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I have lived in a Southern Baptist culture all my life and it is not a common practice among them. As a courtesy, the receiving church will inform the former church of the membership change. I would be curious if your pastor requires the same kind of renunciation from those coming from other Protestant churches.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I was a former Catholic. I don't believe Catholicism is a "Christian" religion. It is not a transfer of membership and therefore you are not a member of another "church." You probably did not enter the membership through a biblical means: faith in Christ plus baptism by immersion after salvation. Thus how could you be a member in God's eyes?
    Now that you are going to be "rebaptized," which is actually being scripturally baptized in the first place, that is when you actually become a member of the church (or what usually happens in most Baptist churches).

In my experience, the only letter of transfer that a church would require is when one member of a church transfers from one Baptist church to another Baptist church. That would be to make sure he is in good standing with his former church and is not under discipline, and is not leaving because he is running away from unresolved problems, or something like that.

6. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

DHK, not to derail the thread, but what are the hallmarks, if you will, of a true Christian church? I see what you're saying about Catholicism, and I come close to you on it, but they do teach the trinity, deity of Jesus, bodily resurrection, which is much more than some mainline denominations teach these days. So, I guess I'm asking what makes a "church" Christian or non-Christian, in your view?

7. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

I can show you, by the grace of God, from the highest and official statements of Romanism, that no, they do not, but teach their own definitions, not found in Scripture, which are all anti-christian [Scripture def.] in nature.

8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Please show me then.

9. One Baptism

RC "Trinity", is but 'singularity', which denies the following "and":

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. - 1 John 2:22

Notice, what Rome teaches:
    http://everlasting-gospel.blogspot.com/2009/05/who-is-teaching-catholic-trinity-error.html

Official Roman Catholic sources:

"We believe then in the Father who eternally begets the Son, in the Son, the Word of God, who is eternally begotten; in the Holy Spirit, the uncreated Person who proceeds from the Father and the Son as their eternal love. Thus in the Three Divine Persons, coaeternae sibi et coaequales,[8] the life and beatitude of God perfectly one superabound and are consummated in the supreme excellence and glory proper to uncreated being, and always "there should be venerated unity in the Trinity and Trinity in the unity."[9]" [Online Roman Catholic Library; Credo of the People of God; Promulgated by Pope Paul VI on June 30, 1968] - http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_pa06cr.htm

"...that the Paraclete "is not to be considered as unconnected with the Father and the Son, for He is with Them one in substance and divinity"...

... Proceeding both from the Father and the Son, the Holy Ghost, nevertheless, proceeds from Them as from a single principle. ... Hence it follows, indeed, that the Holy Ghost proceeds from the two other Persons, not in so far as They are distinct, but inasmuch as Their Divine perfection is numerically one. Besides, such is the explicit teaching of ecclesiastical tradition, which is concisely put by St. Augustine (On the Holy Trinity V.14): "As the Father and the Son are only one God and, relatively to the creature, only one Creator and one Lord, so, relatively to the Holy Ghost, They are only one principle." This doctrine was defined in the following words by the Second Ecumenical Council of Lyons [Denzinger, "Enchiridion" (1908), n. 460]: "We confess that the Holy Ghost proceeds eternally from the Father and the Son, not as from two principles, but as from one principle, not by two spirations, but by one single spiration." The teaching was again laid down by the Council of Florence (ibid., n. 691), and by Eugene IV in his Bull "Cantate Domino" (ibid., n. 703 sq.). ...

..."the Holy Ghost comes from the Father and from the Son not made, not created, not generated, but proceeding" ... " [Online Roman Catholic Encyclopedia, Holy Spirit; sections throughout] - http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07409a.htm

"The sacrosanct Roman Church, founded by the voice of our Lord and Savior, firmly believes, professes, and preaches one true God omnipotent, unchangeable, and eternal, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; one in essence, three in persons; Father unborn, Son born of the Father, Holy Spirit proceeding from Father and Son; that the Father is not Son or Holy Spirit, that Son is not Father or Holy Spirit; that Holy Spirit is not Father or Son; but Father alone is Father, Son alone is Son, Holy Spirit alone is Holy Spirit. The Father alone begot the Son of His own substance; the Son alone was begotten of the Father alone; the Holy Spirit alone proceeds at the same time from the Father and Son.

These three persons are one God, and not three gods, because the three have one substance, one essence, one nature, one divinity, one immensity, one eternity, where no opposition of relationship interferes.

“Because of this unity the Father is entire in the Son, entire in the Holy Spirit; the Son is entire in the Father, entire in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is entire in the Father, entire in the Son. No one either excels another in eternity, or exceeds in magnitude, or is superior in power. For the fact that the Son is of the Father is eternal and without beginning; and that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son is eternal and without beginning.” Whatever the Father is or has, He does not have from another, but from Himself; and He is the principle without principle. Whatever the Son is or has, He has from the Father, and is the principle from a principle. Whatever the Holy Spirit is or has, He has simultaneously from the Father and the Son. But the Father and the Son are not two principles of the Holy Spirit, but one principle, just as the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit are not three principles of the creature, but one principle. ..."
    The Council of Florence (A.D. 1438-1445) From Cantate Domino — Papal Bull of Pope Eugene IV
    by Pope Eugene IV - http://catholicism.org/cantate-domino.html

In essence, what the Roman theology teaches, is that the Son and Holy Spirit do not have Eternal Life in and of themselves, but it is rather derived, borrowed and gotten from the Father, and therefore not truly "three persons" which are all self-existent but as they say rather a "numerical one", "one principle", etc, but Scripture declares in opposition to this, in that not only does the Father have eternal life within himself, but so do the Son and Holy Spirit have Eternal Life within themselves, self-existent, unborrowed, underived.

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have only seen this done once before - but I agree with it.

1. The Catholic church has no idea how many people are Catholics because they don't keep good records of what happens to a baptized infant. So in your case when they report their membership - they would have to include you. You are helping them keep records a bit more accurately.

2. If you include in your letter (which you should ) here are the key doctrines that I no longer accept - (and maybe a very short reason why no need to give them a long Bible study) -- it helps them again to know what they should look at -- at the very least. Again - it could be very helpful to them if they take it in the right spirit.

3. When you send the letter be sure to let them know you have no ill-will no bad-feelings toward your former church.

I think it is a courtesy that they will appreciate.

in Christ,

Bob

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The don't preach the gospel. 20 years in the RCC, I never heard the gospel preached.
    Their message is a "gospel of works," which sends one to hell not to heaven.
    They equate the new birth to baptism--a heretical belief in baptismal regeneration.
    The sacrifice of the mass--transubstantiation is also heretical.
    Belief in keeping the sacraments as a means of salvation.
    The entire system of salvation is anti-scriptural. Aside from a few doctrines that are in synch with the Bible most of the RCC system of theology is entirely opposed to the Bible.

12. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Rebel, good question.
    DHK, you got that wrong, in fact for a former Catholic you seem to have rather limited knowledge of your former Christian Faith. I have a friend who converted to the Catholic/ Christian Faith , never was he 'Baptized' prior to entering the Church, he was Baptized after going through RCIA then received Baptism by "immersion". DHK, you as a former Catholic should know that the Catholic Church uses whatever method of Baptism that is convenient for the occasion.

13. One Baptism

Let us then consider what the Bible means by “one”:

In 1 Corinthians 12:3, we can see from the text that Paul fully believed that no man could say “Jesus is Lord” [Gr.], meaning as God, Deity, YHVH Emmanuel, without the aide of the Holy Spirit, whom guides into all truth.

“...and [that] no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.” 1 Corinthians 12:3

1 Corinthians 12:3 διοG1352 CONJ γνωριζωG1107 V-PAI-1S υμινG4771 P-2DP οτιG3754 CONJ ουδειςG3762 A-NSM-N ενG1722 PREP πνευματιG4151 N-DSN θεουG2316 N-GSM λαλωνG2980 V-PAP-NSM λεγειG3004 V-PAI-3S αναθεμαG331 N-NSN ιησουνG2424 N-ASM καιG2532 CONJ ουδειςG3762 A-NSM-N δυναταιG1410 V-PNI-3S ειπεινG3004 V-2AAN κυριονG2962 N-ASM ιησουνG2424 N-ASM ειG1487 COND μηG3361 PRT-N ενG1722 PREP πνευματιG4151 N-DSN αγιωG40 A-DSN

“...no man can say, “Jesus is Lord [Kurios, the Greek translation of YHVH – LORD of the OT]”, but by the Holy Spirit.” This passage is literally saying, that no one can call Jesus – YHVH God [LORD], except it be by the Holy Spirit. Please refer back to Hebrews 1, of which Paul in Hebrews says is basic and foundational.

Christ Jesus, is truly LORD God, not the Father, neither the Holy Spirit, but the Son.

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Matthew 28:19

πορευθεντεςG4198 V-AOP-NPM ουνG3767 CONJ μαθητευσατεG3100 V-AAM-2P πανταG3956 A-APN ταG3588 T-APN εθνηG1484 N-APN βαπτιζοντεςG907 V-PAP-NPM αυτουςG846 P-APM ειςG1519 PREP τοG3588 T-ASN ονομαG3686 N-ASN τουG3588 T-GSM πατροςG3962 N-GSM καιG2532 CONJ τουG3588 T-GSM υιουG5207 N-GSM καιG2532 CONJ τουG3588 T-GSN αγιουG40 A-GSN πνευματοςG4151 N-GSN Matthew 28:19

"name" is singular. "the name", "the" [definite article, something specific, the name is the very Character of God, see Exodus 34:5-8] While the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost [Spirit] are plurality of persons. "the Father", "the Son" and "the Holy Ghost [Spirit]". "the" [tou] Definite articles along with "and" [kai].

Thus as Matthew 28:19, we read [ "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" and Greek, "πορευθεντες ουν μαθητευσατε παντα τα εθνη βαπτιζοντες αυτους εις το ονομα του πατρος και του υιου και του αγιου πνευματος "] that the very name of God, being YHVH [or Jehovah if you will] is shared, since the name represents the very character/essence of the person:

[English]"...in the name...", [Greek]"εις το ονομα", this is singular and definite [article], yet we see plurality of persons which all share/have it, three distinct definite [article] persons to be specific, each joined by the "kai" [and] construct:

[English] "...of the Father,...", [Greek] "του πατρος" [1]
    [English]"...and...", [Greek]"και"
    [English]"...of the Son,...", [Greek]"του υιου" [2]
    [English]"...and...", [Greek]"και"
    [English]"...of the Holy Ghost...", [Greek]"του αγιου πνευματος" [3]​

This text reveals that the Father has this name, YHVH.* It also reveals that the Son has this name, YHVH, and it also reveals that the Holy Spirit has this name, YHVH.* So, YHVH the Father, YHVH the Son, and YHVH the Holy Spirit is the 'family' [so to speak in merely human terms] "God", whom are "one" [like the disciples are supposed to be 'one', as Jesus and the Disciples are to be 'one', 'atonement', etc].

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God [is] one LORD: Deuteronomy 6:4

Deuteronomy 6:4 שׁמעH8085 ישׂראלH3478 יהוהH3068 אלהינוH430 יהוהH3068 אחד׃H259 ​

The word "one" is unity [like multiple persons of a single family, or team, or husband and wife in marriage, spearate beings, yet to be one in unity, togetherness]. The Hebrew is : 'Echad, - and is not the Hebrew yachid, nor bad.

When this is given again in the New Testament, quoted by Jesus, we see a Greek word which is helpful:

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments [is], Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: Mark 12:29

Mark 12:29 οG3588 T-NSM δεG1161 CONJ ιησουςG2424 N-NSM απεκριθηG611 V-ADI-3S αυτωG846 P-DSM οτιG3754 CONJ πρωτηG4413 A-NSF-S πασωνG3956 A-GPF τωνG3588 T-GPF εντολωνG1785 N-GPF ακουεG191 V-PAM-2S ισραηλG2474 N-PRI κυριοςG2962 N-NSM οG3588 T-NSM θεοςG2316 N-NSM ημωνG1473 P-1GP κυριοςG2962 N-NSM ειςG1520 A-NSM εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S ​

Notice again the translation of the word from Hebrew [YHVH] to Greek [Kurios], and also of the word used for “one” [Hebrew, 'Echad] to “one” [Greek, eis].

This is the same way in which Marriage is given in Genesis, in the Gospels and by Paul, that there are 2 persons [male and female, and [3] God also] which come together in unity [togetherness], and this is how the word [one] is used in both the Hebrew and Greek:

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Genesis 2:24

Genesis 2:24 עלH5921 כןH3651 יעזבH5800 אישׁH376 אתH853 אביוH1 ואתH853 אמוH517 ודבקH1692 באשׁתוH802 והיוH1961 לבשׂרH1320 אחד׃H259 ​

See how that “they” [multiple] are to be “one” [togetherness, unity of all but person]?

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Matthew 19:5

Matthew 19:5 καιG2532 CONJ ειπενG3004 V-2AAI-3S ενεκενG1752 PREP τουτουG3778 D-GSN καταλειψειG2641 V-FAI-3S ανθρωποςG444 N-NSM τονG3588 T-ASM πατεραG3962 N-ASM καιG2532 CONJ τηνG3588 T-ASF μητεραG3384 N-ASF καιG2532 CONJ προσκολληθησεταιG4347 V-FPI-3S τηG3588 T-DSF γυναικιG1135 N-DSF αυτουG846 P-GSM καιG2532 CONJ εσονταιG1510 V-FDI-3P οιG3588 T-NPM δυοG1417 A-NUI ειςG1519 PREP σαρκαG4561 N-ASF μιανG1520 A-ASF

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. Matthew 19:6

Matthew 19:6 ωστεG5620 CONJ ουκετιG3765 ADV-N εισινG1510 V-PAI-3P δυοG1417 A-NUI αλλαG235 CONJ σαρξG4561 N-NSF μιαG1520 A-NSF οG3739 R-ASN ουνG3767 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM θεοςG2316 N-NSM συνεζευξενG4801 V-AAI-3S ανθρωποςG444 N-NSM μηG3361 PRT-N χωριζετωG5563 V-PAM-3S

And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. Mark 10:8

Mark 10:8 καιG2532 CONJ εσονταιG1510 V-FDI-3P οιG3588 T-NPM δυοG1417 A-NUI ειςG1519 PREP σαρκαG4561 N-ASF μιανG1520 A-ASF ωστεG5620 CONJ ουκετιG3765 ADV-N εισινG1510 V-PAI-3P δυοG1417 A-NUI αλλαG235 CONJ μιαG1520 A-NSF σαρξG4561 N-NSF

What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. 1 Corinthians 6:16

1 Corinthians 6:16 ηG2228 PRT ουκG3756 PRT-N οιδατεG1492 V-RAI-2P οτιG3754 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM κολλωμενοςG2853 V-PPP-NSM τηG3588 T-DSF πορνηG4204 N-DSF ενG1520 A-NSN σωμαG4983 N-NSN εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S εσονταιG1510 V-FDI-3P γαρG1063 CONJ φησινG5346 V-PAI-3S οιG3588 T-NPM δυοG1417 A-NUI ειςG1519 PREP σαρκαG4561 N-ASF μιανG1520 A-ASF

For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. Ephesians 5:31

Ephesians 5:31 αντιG473 PREP τουτουG3778 D-GSN καταλειψειG2641 V-FAI-3S ανθρωποςG444 N-NSM τονG3588 T-ASM πατεραG3962 N-ASM αυτουG846 P-GSM καιG2532 CONJ τηνG3588 T-ASF μητεραG3384 N-ASF καιG2532 CONJ προσκολληθησεταιG4347 V-FPI-3S προςG4314 PREP τηνG3588 T-ASF γυναικαG1135 N-ASF αυτουG846 P-GSM καιG2532 CONJ εσονταιG1510 V-FDI-3P οιG3588 T-NPM δυοG1417 A-NUI ειςG1519 PREP σαρκαG4561 N-ASF μιανG1520 A-ASF ​

14. One Baptism

"in the name" ..... that name is "YHVH" [Jehovah] Exodus 6:3. A name they share, the character they share.

They are one in purpose, in mind, in character, but not in person, as like the disciples were to be togetherness in mind, in purpose, in harmony, but not in person:

I and [my] Father are one. John 10:30

John 10:30 εγωG1473 P-1NS καιG2532 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM πατηρG3962 N-NSM ενG1520 A-NSN εσμενG1510 V-PAI-1P

And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we [are]. John 17:11

John 17:11 καιG2532 CONJ ουκG3756 PRT-N ετιG2089 ADV ειμιG1510 V-PAI-1S ενG1722 PREP τωG3588 T-DSM κοσμωG2889 N-DSM καιG2532 CONJ ουτοιG3778 D-NPM ενG1722 PREP τωG3588 T-DSM κοσμωG2889 N-DSM εισινG1510 V-PAI-3P καιG2532 CONJ εγωG1473 P-1NS προςG4314 PREP σεG4771 P-2AS ερχομαιG2064 V-PNI-1S πατερG3962 N-VSM αγιεG40 A-VSM τηρησονG5083 V-AAM-2S αυτουςG846 P-APM ενG1722 PREP τωG3588 T-DSN ονοματιG3686 N-DSN σουG4771 P-2GS ουςG3739 R-APM δεδωκαςG1325 V-RAI-2S μοιG1473 P-1DS ιναG2443 CONJ ωσινG1510 V-PAS-3P ενG1520 A-NSN καθωςG2531 ADV ημειςG1473 P-1NP

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. John 17:21

John 17:21 ιναG2443 CONJ παντεςG3956 A-NPM ενG1520 A-NSN ωσινG1510 V-PAS-3P καθωςG2531 ADV συG4771 P-2NS πατερG3962 N-VSM ενG1722 PREP εμοιG1473 P-1DS καγωG2504 P-1NS-K ενG1722 PREP σοιG4771 P-2DS ιναG2443 CONJ καιG2532 CONJ αυτοιG846 P-NPM ενG1722 PREP ημινG1473 P-1DP ενG1520 A-NSN ωσινG1510 V-PAS-3P ιναG2443 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM κοσμοςG2889 N-NSM πιστευσηG4100 V-AAS-3S οτιG3754 CONJ συG4771 P-2NS μεG1473 P-1AS απεστειλαςG649 V-AAI-2S

And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: John 17:22

John 17:22 καιG2532 CONJ εγωG1473 P-1NS τηνG3588 T-ASF δοξανG1391 N-ASF ηνG3739 R-ASF δεδωκαςG1325 V-RAI-2S μοιG1473 P-1DS δεδωκαG1325 V-RAI-1S αυτοιςG846 P-DPM ιναG2443 CONJ ωσινG1510 V-PAS-3P ενG1520 A-NSN καθωςG2531 ADV ημειςG1473 P-1NP ενG1520 A-NSN εσμενG1510 V-PAI-1P ​

Unity, the togetherness of multiplicity:

[Be] of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. Romans 12:16

That ye may with one mind [and] one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 15:6

Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and [that] there be no divisions among you; but [that] ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 1 Corinthians 1:10

Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. 2 Corinthians 13:11

Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; Philippians 1:27

Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind. Philippians 2:2

I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord. Philippians 4:2

Finally, [be ye] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [be] pitiful, [be] courteous: 1 Peter 3:8

In Ezekiel:

And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: Ezekiel 11:19

Ezekiel 11:19 ונתתיH5414 להם לבH3820 אחדH259 ורוחH7307 חדשׁהH2319 אתןH5414 בקרבכםH7130 והסרתיH5493 לבH3820 האבןH68 מבשׂרםH1320 ונתתיH5414 להם לבH3820 בשׂר׃H1320 ​

Even satan's forces, in a unity of purpose:

These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast. Revelation 17:13

Revelation 17:13 ουτοιG3778 D-NPM μιανG1520 A-ASF γνωμηνG1106 N-ASF εχουσινG2192 V-PAI-3P καιG2532 CONJ τηνG3588 T-ASF δυναμινG1411 N-ASF καιG2532 CONJ τηνG3588 T-ASF εξουσιανG1849 N-ASF εαυτωνG1438 F-3GPM τωG3588 T-DSN θηριωG2342 N-DSN διαδιδωσουσινG1239 V-PAI-3P ​

Moving back to Matthew 28:19, and there being three persons with the name/character YHVH, I will ask yet one more question, How many LORD [YHVH] are there in these verses?

Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; Genesis 19:24

[Jesus, the LORD [YHVH] who came down with the two covering cherubs, the two angels that are beside the LORD, is standing upon the earth {Genesis 18-19, especially 18:25 "Judge of all the Earth"} and calling down fire from His Father above, the Holy Spirit being included by the Fire also]​

The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well. 2 Timothy 1:18

[[A Psalm of David.]] The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. Psalms 110:1

[Jesus [YHVH] speaking not only to David, but God the Father, speaking to the Son also [David being a type pointing to Christ], as seen in the NT, since the whole of Scripture testifies of the the Son [John 5:39]]​

The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? Matthew 22:44

And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Luke 20:42

For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Acts 2:34

[[To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David.]] My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? Psalms 22:1

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Matthew 27:46

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Mark 15:34

And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? Zechariah 3:2

[Here we have all Three Persons]

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Matthew 28:19

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; Colossians 2:2

In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:3

[See also Ephesians 5:20, “Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;”; see also Colossians 3:17, “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” see also 1 Thessalonians 3:11, “Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you.”]​

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Read the RCC Catechism and know what it teaches Lakeside!
    Look up the new birth. How is "new birth" defined?

The RCC is no more Christian than Hinduism.
    Both religions think that their sins are washed away by water. What a superstition! Only the blood of Christ can take away your sins, and you don't believe that; you don't believe what the Bible teaches; you rather would believe anti-Christ superstition.

16. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Well DHK, you wrote two paragraphs, one castigating the Catholic Church and the other explaining why a letter is requested when the move is from a church of like faith and order, and you never came close to answering the questions posted. Do you ever actually read what other people post?

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know if it is common practice, or even if it is proper practice for a pastor to require. Repentance is a part of salvation, but you would not be a member of two churches (local Christian congregations) as the RCC is not a Christian church. I do think it a good idea, and perhaps it would help your witness.

I have friends who are Catholic. Some reject a substantial part of Catholic doctrine. But they will not leave the RCC because they are Catholic by tradition. I know it must be a difficult break.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A letter is not needed from the RCC inasmuch it would not be needed from your local Hindu priest or Islamic cleric. They are all on the same level. They don't qualify as Biblical churches. I hope you understand that now.

A Baptist church usually requires "a letter of transfer" only when a member is transferring from a church of like faith and order.

However, if the person leaving is strong enough in the faith and would like to be a witness, then he can go and explain in person to the priest why he is leaving. That would be a much stronger witness than a letter. If he is a relatively new believer he should take along someone with him. It doesn't have to be the pastor of the church.

#18 DHK, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
  19. One Baptism

Thus, with all that was shared:

[1] - http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2224019&postcount=9

[2] - http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2224030&postcount=13

[3] - http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2224031&postcount=14

There are three persons, all able to Witness and Testify of the other in perfection.

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

[to be thus “one” is to be in complete, atonement, and agreement]​

And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 1 John 5:8

[to be thus “one” is to be in complete, atonement, and agreement]​

[both of these texts are in the manuscripts, for those sources, please consider: http://www.pearltrees.com/awhn/kjv-bible-vindicated/id1593484 ]​

20. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I attend a mid-week Bible study where a number of people are ex-catholics. I have a neighbor that is also ex-catholic attending a Baptist church.

I find that the less the ex-Catholics know about their former faith and the less involved that they and their family were as Catholics - the less animosity they tend to have about the whole thing. They are happy with their new church and are not upset with their former Catholic background - they just consider that they are now making a good informed choice.

But those who attended Catholic Schools or have parents/friends that are still strong Catholics - those people tend to be a little bit more animated in their opposition to Catholic doctrine and/or practice.

Seems to me that the OP is written by someone in first group.

in Christ,

Bob