1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rep. Grayson Calls Labor Unions Strongest Force for ‘Good Government’

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Apr 16, 2010.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

All I'm saying is that employers should pay a fair wage that their employers can live off of, and businesses should realize that their is a greater good than merely making the highest possible profit. That is where labor unions come in, to make sure employees are well taken care of. Also, government jobs pay well. I'm set to make far more as a federal employee than I did in the private sector.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Government doesn't have jobs. The tax payers do. You are living off the tax payers. Fair is what you agree to work for. Business does not get created to give you a job. And unions are a progressive marxist tool to redistribute. That is their sole purpose. My father was union his entire career and a rep a good part of that. I worked for a time in that union. I know what they do and how they do it.

3. FR7 Baptist

What about third world countries where workers are exploited? Is that fair?

Yes, federal employees do get paid by tax dollars, but I have to pay taxes on that, except my mileage reimbursement is not taxable. But I'm trading my labor for money at a fair rate. I deserve to get paid for my work. The Census Bureau only hires the most qualified applicants. To get hired you have to take the Census Test. I made a perfect score. This Census, a majority of temporary employees will have college degrees. Since we're so well-qualified based on the Census Test scores(most employees got perfect scores), we deserve to be well-paid and we are. The Census is constitutionally mandated, and since the only way to count everyone is with a large force of enumerators, this is tax money well-spent.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

So, when it benefited you to be part of a union, you did it. Now that unions don't apply to your situation, you denounce them.

Back when I was a member of the Steelworker's Union, I knew some people that took the benefit the union offered, but would not join because they did not want to pay dues. We had names for people like that. Freeloader is one name that comes to mind. We also had people who crossed our picket line when we were own strike. We had names for those as well.

I have no respect for someone who uses a union when it is beneficial for them but will not pay their fair share.

5. FR7 Baptist

Aren't people like that called scabs?

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

So you want the government to dictate the wages of workers?

Congratulations. You're a communist.

Ah, we learn more about Mr. Snow.

I remember folks like you...slashing my tires, threatening my wife...all because I needed the work...so my family had the money to eat...

Not only are your attitudes unAmerican, they are patently unChristian as well. Disgusting.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Back to the OP: Grayson is an absolute idiot. He is far and away the dumbest member of Congress...he's broken with reality, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's mentally ill.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your respect is not my concern. Neither is your flawed view of what I said or your view of what is a "fair share".

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until you have stood a picket line and had to look people in the face who wanted to provide for their family and call them names to their face you should refrain from using such nonsense.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

It was the unions, not the owners, who created the middle class. It was the loss of union jobs and union contracts that is shrinking the middle class and putting us back on the road to serfdom. The "right to work" people got their raises on the coat tails of the union members.

11. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Just how important are you? What did you do to start the company? How many years, how much of unpaid time did you invest in designing and creating a product or securing the market for your product. How much of your capital is invested in the building, the office supplies and equipment, the tools and machinery required.... in the coffee/ snack/ lunch room provided? In the lockers for your valuables? In the grounds and asphalt for your parked car? In the security for you and your car? In the industrial nurse which may be provided for first response care in an emergency? Just how important are you? Did you 'engineer' the product? Did you spec it out and determine its limits and the quality and minimum standards acceptable for its use and safety? Just how important are you? Are you responsible for the debts of the company? Are you responsible for expansions? For R and D? For replacement of obsolete equipment or upgrades? What about the investors? What payments will you pay if product liability creates a problem against the company?

You think you're owed something? When you were offered the job, did you have other offers or was this the best that you could do at that time? Weren't you told at the time how much you'd be paid, what benefits you'd have? Weren't you free then to accept or walk away, like an honest man, if it did not suit you? Aren't you still free to walk away at any time? Isn't this the honest thing to do if you become unhappy for whatever reasons? Perhaps you don't want too as your raises, your benefits, HAVE increased as a response to your loyalty or merit.... and a beginning job elsewhere is no longer competitive? I suppose you blame the company for that also?

Since when did God remove this responsibility from your shoulders and His..... and determined that a union was better? I'd bet this is a unilateral decision you make which has nothing to do with God and has everything to do with your security and confidence in the promises of man.:type:

Back to topic: This representative is nuts and there's no comparison with Ron Paul.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

>Fair is what you agree to work for.

Why is it "fair" for employers to form trade associations to set wages but not "fair" for the workers to organize into labor unions?

13. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Billwald, I don't think that anyone will argue with the concept of a union. Workers banding together and using collective bargaining power is a part of capitalism. What you will find people objecting to is the way unions have actually been put into practice in this country. Strong arm tactics against those that refuse to join a union are one of the major flaws. If you want to talk fair, isn't it fair that someone decides they don't want to join a union? Wouldn't it be fair for a company to be able to hire union and non-unions workers as they saw fit?

Unions in concept aren't the problem. The bullying, law breaking, dishonest unions that we see in this country are the problem.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The one who is disgusting is you! You engage in gossip and lies and feel no remorse. I have never slashed a tire, or threated anyone's wife. I walked my picket and shouted at the scabs who crossed my picket line.

If you needed work, as you say, why didn't you go get your own job instead of taking a job away from a real American worker. I guess it's because you prey on the misfortune of others and aren't man enough to stand on your own two feet.

15. matt wade

If you needed work, you should have stayed and done your job. If you aren't willing to do a job, don't begrudge those that do want to do the job. You and billwald both want to throw out the "fair" word. Why is it fair that a union worker can work, but not a "scab"? Oh yeah, "fair" only counts when it agrees with you.

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The company had a contract with the union. We were acting within our rights to strike and demand better working conditions. I don't expect a young man like you to understand, you don't.

Our country would be better off if corporate America hadn't, with the help of naive people like yourself, done away with the unions. Like Billwald said, it has done away with the middle class, something that will probably affect you and your family in the future, but you are too blind to see it.

17. matt wade

Yes and that "scab" was within his rights to go do a job that you were unwilling to perform. Of course, I don't expect a lazy, union bum like yourself to understand hard work and a work ethic.

18. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I've been hearing this from the 40's on and the middle class is still growing.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Robert, thanks for giving us such a clear glimpse into your character.

I see that you didn't get all the "shouting at the scabs" out of your system.

Did your conscience ever kick in when you were attacking them?

Does it do so now, as you attack me?

20. matt wade