1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Repealing Obamacare

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rolfe, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Rolfe, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The big question of course, is what will the replacement be? Most of the responses from team R so far -- insurance across state lines, health savings accounts, etc. -- do nothing to address the cost of healthcare. Also, if you are going to continue to require no pre-existing clauses from the insurance companies, then you have to require universal coverage

3. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am in favor of a single payer system. Medicaid for all. I live in fear of losing medical insurance for my husband and I. For now, he is covered under the VA system and I have Medicaid. Without those, we both would probably die in the not too distant future. It is truly terrifying to think that this can be jerked out from under us by politicians who have no idea what it's like to try to hoard medications in the fear that you may not be able to get them. My monthly prescriptions without insurance run about 400 dollars. My husband's run in the 6000 dollar range per month. There's no way to afford this out of pocket

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does there have to be a replacement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So people like me and my husband can continue to have medical insurance. We both have pre-existing conditions and if it is repealed we could not afford insurance. In that case, my husband would be dead within a week and I probably wouldn't last out a year.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's what the ideologues forget: The ACA, flawed as it is, was an attempt to deal with a real problem, the rising cost of health care and unaffordability of insurance for many people.

I am no liberal (you can ask anyone who knows me), but the logic of a single payer is inescapable. It has no chance, of course.

7. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think single payer is a liberal vs. conservative issue. To me it's a pro-life issue. If one claims to be pro-life, then one would support anything and everything that would provide life to all. From parents having to do fundraisers to pay for children's cancer treatment to the elderly going without food to pay for medicine. I think it needs to be couched in those terms rather than whatever insanity people are using now.

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make think that it's not a liberal-conservative issue, but you're new here and will soon learn that is exactly how it is cast. Be prepared to duck.

9. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not believe it is, I am aware of the hogwash around this issue and find it insane, selfish, stupid and a variety of other adjectives. If Pro-life people don't care about people literally dying due to lack of medical care, well, that's on them, not me. As I said above, my husband and I are two of those people who would be affected by the repeal of the ACA and lack of replacement. We will both die. Its that simple. We WILL die. So, if a pro-lifer wants to keep claiming that and doesn't care that 2 people will die, then that just proves their lie. Unless of course someone would want to give us the 6 grand a month it takes to keep my husband (someone's son, father and grandfather) alive, that's great...but we know that isn't going to happen.

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. Should be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've debated this before. I'm good.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So... when enough providers leave the profession because the Medicaid-styled single-payer system pays them twenty cents on the dollar and they cannot make a living, what then?

Government-run health systems (which will be the end-product) are not as great as they seem.

13. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ok...then what's your solution? How are you going to come up with a plan that guarantees everyone the ability to procure the necessary health care and medications they need to live? Or, are you fine with turning away sick people, people with cancer, people with diabetes, etc. Do you want to have their deaths on your hands? Are you ok with people having to hold fundraisers to pay for medical treatment? Why is the US the only first world country with such a lousy way of procuring and paying for medical care? Why are US health care costs so outrageous when compared to the rest of the world?

You proclaim gloom and doom yet you do not have a viable solution to offer. Therefore I must assume that your position comes from ignorance rather than researching the issue using non-biased sources.

14. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your solution? I asked first.

15. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

See Bernie Sanders' website for my solution. A payroll tax of roughly 2% on everyone at every income level will more than take care of the costs.

First hand "observation" is not nearly as reliable nor believable as the analyses done by experts in the field. There are many claiming "gloom and doom" however, when one bothers to do the research and when one realizes that there are many physicians and other medical professionals IN FAVOR of single payer, you will realize that your POV is off.

And again, what is your solution besides allowing people to die?

16. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you had done your homework, you'd know that the greatest amount of money does NOT go to hospitals or physicians. It goes to the insurance companies and their stockholders.

I've heard these arguments before and honestly they do not hold water. When the insurance companies and pharma companies are the ones making the big bucks...for example, 1 liter of IV saline solution costs about a dollar to make. Know how much a hospital gets charged for it? Over 100 dollars.

So, again, the issue is NOT the physicians and other medical personnel. It is the insurance companies that demand the high profits.

As someone directly affected by all this, you can bet your bottom dollar I've done my homework. So, again, what's your solution besides people dying?

Your rhetoric and unresearched ideas are quite tiresome. Why don't you just admit you are fine with people dying from conditions that could be treated and cured if they just had the money to pay for it? Why don't you just admit you think that people like me (who live just above the poverty level) are nothing more than drains on society and don't deserve to live.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have some valid links that validates the info you provided?

18. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    We both deleted our posts, so I won't respond to a deleted post if you won't.

19. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am so not going to research for you. It's all available on Google among other places. I took the time and effort to research but I'm not going to do it for you. Do your own research and formulate your own thoughts and opinions.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You made a statement - therefore it is your responsibility to back it up.

• Like Like x 1