1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance and Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

A Gospel without the preaching of repentance is no Gospel at all. Agree or disagree? Does your church preach repentance and faith in Christ, or is the message more geared towards accepting Jesus with little or no thought to repentance?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe repentance is part of faith in Christ...not separate. Depending on what you mean, I can't either agree or disagree at this point.

3. ReformedBaptist

I mean repentance being preached. Turning from sin and believing on Christ. I have heard and read the Gospel presented without mention of sin or the necessity to turn from it.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

RB, it has been a while, but good to know that you're still faithfully standing for the gospel heralded by the apostles.

I give an invitation at the end of my sermons. I never know when God is going to draw another sinner to himself.

I plant, another water, but God causes the growth (1 Cor 3).

#4 TCGreek, Apr 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
  5. ReformedBaptist

Thanks TC...there is no other Gospel my brother, worthy of being heralded, than the Gospel of Christ as handed down from His Aposltes. Soli Deo Gloria!

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Yes, we must preach repentance. But groundwork must be laid by explaining the seriousness of sin and the need to repent. Our knowledge of sin comes from a knowledge of the law. Here are what some well-known preachers have said about that:

John McArthur: “It’s got to be 75 per cent law and judgment and 25 per cent grace. God’s grace cannot be faithfully preached to unbelievers until the Law is preached and man’s corrupt nature is exposed. It is impossible for a person to fully realize his need for God’s grace until he sees how terribly he has failed the standards of God’s law.

J. C. Ryle: “Those whom the Spirit draws to Jesus are those whom the Spirit has convinced of sin. Without thorough conviction of sin, men may seem to come to Jesus and follow Him for a season, but they will soon fall away and return to the world.”

D. L. Moody: Do not offer the consolation of the gospel until he sees and knows he is guilty before God. We must give enough of the Law to take away all self-righteousness. I pity the man who preaches only one side of the truth-always the gospel, and never the Law.

A. W. Pink: The unsaved are in no condition today for the gospel till the Law be applied to their hearts, for "by the Law is the knowledge of sin." It is a waste of time to sow seed on ground which has never been ploughed or spaded. To present the vicarious sacrifice of Christ to those whose dominant passion is to take fill of sin, is to give that which is holy to the dogs.

A proper sermon introduction might be "I have some good news for the lost--but first I have some bad news."

You've heard some preachers say, "God has a wonderful plan for your life."

Nope. If you're lost, God has a terrible plan for you, unless you repent.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess I'm still not quite clear. Since an unregenerated person cannot know what turning from sin is, I see repentance and faith as two sides of the same coin. Faith in Christ is repentance. It is a turning away from self and turning to Jesus.
    The Gospel is salvation by grace through faith. Since we know faith doesn't occur without repentance, it must be part of faith.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There can be no salvation without repentance.

9. HisWordIsTruth

HisWordIsTruth New Member

Sure wish Paul would have told that poor jailor that he needed to repent :tear:. Wonder how Paul just slipped up on that day and I wonder why Luke recorded his error for us on that day? Then I guess he lied to the Ephesians too, because he said they "were saved" by God's grace through faith. By some accounts folks think the Holy Spirit did a poor job of selecting the wording used to pen Scripture in at least a couple of places.

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Jesus Said "Unless you repent, you will likewise perish". It is obvious that EVERYTHING Paul and the apostles said, was NOT recorded in the Bible. However, since Jesus has already stated repentance is necessary, we know it was part of all salvation accounts: otherwise, Jesus is a liar. Personally, I will believe my Lord.

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

If your not preaching repentance, your not preaching the gospel of Christ Jesus.

Where there is no godly repentence there has been no salvation!

12. Joe

Joe New Member

What about the thief on the cross?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I must agree with WD.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Web, we're agreed that repentance and faith are two sides of the same coin. We agree that salvation is by grace through faith.

I'm not quite clear on your statement that an unregenerate person cannot know what turning from sin is. I would expect a Calvinist to make such a statement, adding "without the illuminating work of the Holy Spirit."

Would you elaborate a bit on how you, a non-Calvinist, could make that statement and be consistent with what I think you believe. Or please correct me if I'm off base.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The problem comes with the confused definitions. I LOVE John Macarthur, Piper, etc. (IN FACT I am going to the Together for the Gospel conference, I like the so much).

However, there wrong on there definition of repentance. Of Course, Ryrie, Stanley and Hodges are wrong too...Repentance (metanoia) is a change of mind/heart about who God is, the seriousness of sin, self etc., that RESULTS in a turning from sin: it is not turning from sin, itself.

It is completely a work of the Holy Spirit, through conviction, and it actually precedes faith (You cannot have faith in someone you still hate). It is, in some sense, a precursor of faith, or even the beginnings of faith.

When the Thief on the cross says "Remember me when you come into your kingdom", he is demonstrating faith, which shows, by default, that he had repented.

Take it how you will: I am not going to waste to much time debating the issue. Whatever it is, it causes a change in the individual, that is instantly and increasingly different from the world.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Isn't biblical repentance simply a change of mind toward God?

Is sin ever the object of repentance in conversion?

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No.

metanoeō
    Thayer Definition:
    1) to change one’s mind, i.e. to repent
    2) to change one’s mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one’s past sins

If one lacks an abhorrence for their sins, especially an indifference, how could they possibly have repentance toward a infinitely righteous and Holy God?

18. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I think the way I view this is what Paul called a work of faith.

1Th 1:3 because we recall in the presence of our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and endurance of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

So it seems that we should preach the gospel, etc., and our response to it, which is repentance. But not repentance as humanity considers it, but godly sorrow, that is, a repentance from or because of, sin, unrighteousness, etc., that is enabled by the Spirit.

Since I don't subscribe to things like accepting Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour, I also find it hard to quantify a new believers faith and response. But I don't know that doesn't fit the Biblical model. I don't know that it does either, lol.

IMO

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Say "Hi" to my hubby and other pastors from our church when you're there! :)

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What then is the meaning of "repentance from acts that lead to death?

"Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God" (Heb 6:1, TNIV, emphasis mine).