1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance baptism vs. Spirit Baptism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SaggyWoman, Oct 20, 2008.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I was reading Acts 19 recently.

Acts 19

Paul in Ephesus

1While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?"
    They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

3So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?"
    "John's baptism," they replied. 4Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5On hearing this, they were baptized into[b] the name of the Lord Jesus. 6When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[c] and prophesied. 7There were about twelve men in all.

Does this mean there are two different baptisms?

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Good question! :thumbs:

In the OT, believers were baptized on account of their sins were forgiven -- the "baptism of repentance" Mt 3:11. That is half of the NT baptism!

NT baptism "in the name of Christ" REPRESENTS BOTH "of repentance" of sin and of new life in Christ -- the rebirth and indwelling of the Holy Spirit as you see in Acts 19.

They REPRESENT distinct "stages" of the same salvation. In the OT, the saved were only "justified" -- reconciled to God. But God had no kingdom yet to "give" them into (as John 10:29, etal.).

We are both "justified" and "sanctified" simultaneously upon belief and we CAN be given into Christ's spiritaul kingdom.

skypair

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Water baptism is distinct from Spirit baptism, just as John's repentance baptism (water) was distinct from Christian believer's baptism (water). And both of these water baptisms were distinct from Jewish water baptism! So we're up to 4. :)

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

So, should we as believers have more than one baptism, and either way, when should these baptisms take place?

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

All believers should be physically baptized as testimony of repentance to God.

All new covenant believers will be spiritually baptized into the kingdom by the Spirit in the name of Christ at the moment of resurrection. These then will follow Christ in physical believer's baptism by emersion whereby they proclaim repentance AND RESURRECTION that occurred when they believed.

This, then, leaves some out -- like the ones in Acts 19 who were baptized on account of repentance but were not baptized spiritually "in Christ" and into His resurrection. That would tell me that the OT saints will be resurrected and baptized by the Spirit into the MK of Christ wherein they may be (though I don't find it) physically baptized again.

So for us: 1 spiritual baptism and one physical IF we follow Christ's example (He didn't need it when John baptized Him -- He did it by way of testimony, too.) I would get baptized as soon as I wanted to make Christ Lord of my life (hopefully immediately!). That's pretty much what it testifies to -- that you are raised to a new life by Christ.

skypair

6. lbaker

lbaker New Member

That passage sounds as if water baptism had some bearing on receiving the Spirit. Interesting that the 1st question Paul asks them when he finds out they haven't received the Spirit is about their baptism, as if that was relevant.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that is because in Jesus day baptism came out of what is called "Mikvah" in Judaism. A total immersion in water for cleansing, commitment and revitalization.

This kind of public immersion simply meant that you had first heard, understood and accepted the teaching of the one in whose name you were being baptised. A new beginning. There were many voices in Israel in those days.

HankD

8. Goldie

Goldie New Member

But what about the thief on the cross? He wasn't baptized at all and Jesus promised that He'd see him in paradise?

9. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Joh 1:31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

The Baptism of John was to MAKE MANIFEST TO ISRAEL, Jesus Christ, the Messiah.

Why do you think hardly any of the pharisees believed on Christ?

Luk 7:29 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
    Luk 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

The pharisees REJECTED the baptism, rejected the counsel of God and were unable to see who Jesus Christ was, because he was made manifest to Israel through John's Baptism of Repentance.

Not sure if that is on topic, but I hope it helps explain a few things. God bless

EDIT: Just to add,

Believers don't need to be baptised to have Christ manifest to them. We are saved. We are baptised to show as a testimony our death, burial and resurrection with Him. It is different to John's Baptism, but I think someone said that before.
    In Jesus name, my precious Saviour
    Luke

#9 Lukasaurus, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  10. skypair

skypair Active Member

He will be "baptized with the Spirit," and maybe in water, in the MK.

"That day" they would both meet in the upper part of sheol (Luke 16:22-26). On the 3rd day, "paradise" went to heaven in "captivity" to Christ (Eph 4:8)!

skypair