1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance ??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Jul 30, 2010.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I assume you mean this one;
    "What does it look like from an observers perspective?"

Sorry I missed that one
    Answer
    I am assuming that this is someone who knows you before and after salvation. The scripture says they will know by our fruit. John the baptist said to bring fruit acceptable unto repentace. In other words there is an outward evidence of change. I had an experience when first saved. At work within a week of my salvation one of the men told me I had changed which opened the door for me to tell him about the One who changed me. Many call it suddenly getting religion, but the truth is that we get much more. We get a new life and a new home, Praise God.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Repentance does not mean to turn from sin, else God is a sinner. The scriptures show God repenting several times.

Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Exo 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Repentance means to change your mind. In salvation it speaks of turning from unbelief in Christ to belief in Christ.

Everyone trusts in something. Those who do not trust in Christ are trusting in false gods, or else they are trusting in their own righteousness and works to get them to heaven.

Luke 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

When the Pharisees and Sadducees came to John the Baptist, he told them they needed to repent. Then he explains exactly what they needed to repent of.

What they needed to repent of was the false belief that simply being the physical descendants of Abraham guaranteed they were saved and going to heaven. Lots of folks believe like this, they believe because their parents are good Christians that they are too. Many believe because they are members of a certain church they will go to heaven.

But John corrects them and tells them they need to repent or turn from this false security. John tells them that God could raise up physical seed of Abraham from the stones themselves, and being his physical descendant in no way guaranteed salvation.

So, this is what repentance is, a change of mind or attitude, especially concerning false belief.

#22 Winman, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Freeatlast, sorry, I should have quoted my last question:

Winman:

A false belief as in idolitry?

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You are correct. It is a common misconception that repentance is "turning". It may lead to that but it is not that.

Repentance is essential to salvation. The word "repent" means to "change one's mind".

It is a transformation of the way one thinks.

Before conversion his ideals were depraved. After conversion his ideals are Christ's ideals. Before conversion his goals were corrupt. After conversion his goals are for Christ and his glory.

It is inward but one can logically expect by and by to see the fruits of this overhaul of thinking make their way to the surface.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

On going sin in the life of anyone is evidence that there is a spiritual problem. Anytime we make a choice to sin rather then obeying the Lord we certainly are in a mood of rejecting Him. However like in most things there are degrees, types or kinds and in this case the issue is rejection.
    By the statement "carry on committing sins". It sounds like one is continually sinning or to use biblical wording they are living in the flesh. This person has rejected Christ as Lord (never saved) and is lost and it is seen in his sinning (practicing sin).
    Then you gave an example of a sin. This is an individual sin and while it does need to be dealt with because if done with knowledge one would be denying the Lord in practice it is not enough evidence that there is an out right denial of Him as Lord. One would need to watch and see where the rest of their life is at.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is easy to please observers and they will be unable to recognize a counterfeit but God knows.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Such as?

Repentance is simply a change of mind or belief. The Bible says God repented several times. Does God ever sin? So, repentance does not necessarily mean a turning form sin, it just means to change one's mind.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That ought not to surprise anyone when you consider Mt. 5:19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Recently I started reading a book and the author said that he spoke with a leader in a large denomination and that the leader said they were not making denominations. Then he approaches another leader and that leader said that they do not and they had no intention of dealing with that in their seminaries. So now we have pastors leaving seminaries who are supposed to teach the people to make disciples and the pastor does not have a clue how to make disciples because nobody has taught him.