1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't answer for DHK, but I believe God's Word as written. So what is your answer to his question?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Absolutely. I also think that the verse you referred to is one of the most misunderstood verses of the Bible and leads to much Bible error.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are correct. You cannot answer for DHK. :smilewinkgrin:

4. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    So he answered, when will you?

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Amen.

freeatlast has a failure in theology, he proof-texts 1 John and missses the entire counsel of God on the matter. Certainly he thinks he walks without sin, and has laid claim to his own sinless perfection in days at a time, and those who sin daily and need washed daily he claims aren't/weren't saved in that they are practicing sin. This is his implication here.

1 John 1:8 has it lined out for us, and him. Part of the walk is the fact of confessed sin, even daily, as part of it. Sin, confession, washing in a continuous cycle to keep close to Christ. The ones rebuked in this walk context are the ones who say they are without sin. Scripture has a name for such a person.

I've never seen such unscriptural teachings taught in any Baptist church that I know.

freeatlast is an avid follower of John MacArthur Jr. Looking at his blog will convince you of that.

- Peace

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That was not my question. So neither will answer you.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your question. "Do you believe...?"
    My answer: "Absolutely..."
    How did I not answer your question?

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As it is written. Yes.

Every the one having been begotten out of the God sin not is doing that seed of him in him is remaining and not he is able to be sinning that out of the God he has been begotten. In other words as written in the KJV.

Black and white not gray.-----practicing is gray.

And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also. And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks. And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD. And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah. Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; [and] I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I [am] merciful, saith the LORD, [and] I will not keep [anger] for ever. Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD. Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

When Jeremiah wrote this as a thus saith the LORD where was the fold of treacherous sister Judah? Where was the fold of backsliding Israel? Who and where is treacherous sister Judah today? Can you get approximately the % of these people in various countries? Where is backsliding Israel today? %'s?

I will being you to Zion. Is this the Mount Sion spoken of in Hebrews 12:22?

I pasted this to ask the question, does it really say these people ever repented or does God because of his name sake and through forgiveness take them back beginning one of a family two of a city?

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Again, you misunderstand the doctrines of justification/sanctification!

per Bible, all of my sinsd were covered in full by death of Jesus, BUT there is also progressive growing/maturity up into image of Christ...

Whenever we sin, at that moment and until weconfess and repent of that sin, God will have us experience "disconnect: from our side to him...

Weare His children still, but up to us to restablish the fellowship/close connection to Him again!

10. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am having trouble deciphering what you are saying.

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

he is saying that a true Child of God will not/cannot sin, as the Seed of God abides in him, and those who commit sin are children of devil...

Misunderstanding of John theology big time!

12. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup: Along with that, I John 1:9- "If we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I read the words we, us, and our to mean those who name the name of Christ.

I am so thankful for this verse.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well if your answer to my question is "absolutely" then my answer to your question absolutely has to be Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.
    I am glad that you absolutely believe that as that is absolutely what it says.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Here is my questions;
    How is it that we have fellowship with God? Is it not because our sin is covered? Is all your sin covered by the blood of Jesus or only that before the cross and that which you confess now?

#54 freeatlast, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't believe you have a correct understanding of that verse. That being the case you have an obligation to answer my question(s):

16. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sound like a politician. Their rule is if you can't answer the question asked, answer the question you want to answer and act like you've been clear and that it is their understanding that is faulty. Sounds like you have taken that rule as your own.

17. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I may, I'd like to ask you if you sin? I only ask because I have noticed that you repetitively quote this verse.

If your answer is 'no', then what's your take on I John 1:8,9?

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No it is not speaking about the saved. It is speaking about those who need saved. One of the beliefs of the Gnostics was that denied that they had any sin ever. The passage is a back and forth progression of the saved and the lost. That part of the passage is speaking about the lost, not the saved. Sadly most Pastors use it incorrectly consequently most Christians do as well. The “we” is humanbeings not we the saved. The saved are already cleansed from all unrighteousness. Our sins are already forgiven. It is the lost and in this case the Gnostics who need to admit that the have sinned against God before they find forgiveness.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Since I have been a Christian as it is with everyone who is really a Christian this has been the case. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If you cannot accept the word of God why would you accept anything I say? So I find it better to just use the word of God and let you deny it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.