1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is called dodging the question. It is not answering my post. I think you know that very well.
    You also know that you are not sinless. If you deny that then you have just sinned. :smilewinkgrin:

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder if you are making this up as you go along. If I am wrong, then it is upon you to give proof or citation to back your statement up.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (1 John 1:8)
    If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 John 1:10)

The person who says they do not sin:
    1. Deceives himself.
    2. The truth is not in him.
    3. Makes Christ a liar.
    4. The Word is not in him.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

DHK it is sad for any man to hold any office and make false accusations as you have and do repeatedly. You are full well aware that I have never said or hinted to the idea that I never sin yet you seek to suggest I claim that. What one word would you put on a man who accuses the brethren with false accusations as you have done and do regularly?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You speak for yourself.
    I have only asked you to respond to one post.
    In not doing so, you condemn yourself. It is apparent to all that read this thread that you are acutely aware of this fact, and thus your reluctance to respond to that one post. Correct?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

DHK it is sad for any man to hold any office and make false accusations as you have and do repeatedly. You are full well aware that I have never said or hinted to the idea that I never sin yet you seek to suggest I claim that. What one word would you put on a man who accuses the brethren with false accusations as you have done and do regularly?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You just posted this 10 minutes ago. I don't have Alzeimer's.
    Why can't you simply respond to one post?
    Do you have a problem?

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

To give the type of explanation you ask is simply not possible in a forum like this. I would be more then willing to email you an exegetical teaching on 1John if you are interested and will PM me with your email addy.

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

FAL,

I would be interested in what you think (and others) of this. How do we know when we "practice" sin? Does it have to do with the heaviness of our hearts when we know we sin? etc.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Bible is a timeless book. It is just as applicable to us today as it was in the time of John. 1John 1:9, the admonition to confess our sins, is just applicable today as it was in the first century. That is a timeless principle. Thus it makes no difference whether or not there were gnostics around in the first century. That is a moot point; totally irrelevant. There are no gnostics around today, and this book is still relevant for us today. We cannot discount it just because there were gnostics in the first century. If you took and applied that kind of hermeneutic to your understanding of the Bible, then there would not be one book of the Bible that we would be able to use today.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let me ask you. Did you or did you not falsely accuse me based on other posts I have already responded to you with? Can you show any post that I state I have never sinned? Let's just lay it on the table here and see who is stating the truth. Let's let the light shine my friend on your accusations. I can go back and pull posts with your attachment on them showing what I am saying and you are full well aware of it as this is not mistake on your part but a deliberate attempt to slander. So again what is the one word that covers a person who falsely accuses a brother?

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am asking you to respond to one post. In that post there are no accusations, only questions. So I don't know what your problem is.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for your response, but please understand I am not in the habit of giving out my email address. I ask you to post your said teaching publicly because this is a pubic forum.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have no problem with it but the responses are too long to board rules. it would take up pages and pages. I am sorry I can help in this instance.

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would think you could break it up onto multiple posts. I've seen it done before.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

quantumfaith,
    To practice sin is to do what comes naturally. It does not take sinning every moment of every day. It is the natural act of any individual who is lost when certain circumstances arise. For the believer the natural act is to live holy with an occasional sin. When a believer sins they not only shock those around them, but they shock themselves. The reason is it is not their practice to sin.
    We all know of people who sin and think nothing of it. It just comes natural to them and no one is surprised when they do it because it is their practice. This has nothing to do with frequency or type of sin. It has to do with character. It is the character of the lost to sin.
    To use myself as an example prior to salvation when I sinned I thought nothing of it no matter how small or large the sin. After salvation any sin is an affront to me and my Lord. While a believer may sin from time to time it is not there practice as it hurts the believer as much as the Lord.
    Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
    He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit(practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot(practice) sin, because he is born of God.

True believers practice righteousness.
    In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not(practices) righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I will PM you the first of the book. The whole book would take several hundren pages.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I like what you say here Freeatlast. I would agree that no true Christian practices sin on a regular basis. But all Christians commit sin on occasion.

I've told the story before, but it applies here, I once worked with a fellow who belonged to a Holiness church. He believed a person could absolutely stop sinning, in fact, he said there was an elderly man in his church who had not sinned in years.

I bet this fellow he could not go 24 hours without sinning. He said, "Oh, that is easy! I can easily go 24 hours without sinning!"

I said, "The scriptures say boasting is a sin, you just boasted, so you just sinned!"

He became so angry his face turned red and I truly wondered if he was going to take a swing at me. He did not talk to me much after that.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And is this true of you? of every believer? all the time? Or do they backslide from time to time? Live a carnal life from time to time? Get into a rut and think nothing of "certain" sins that may be an affront to you, but you have gotten so used to them that they are not an affront to you any longer. After all we do live in a wicked society where we are surrounded by sin every day.

20. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rather than sending me a link to John Macarthur's website, perhaps you can explain the more pertinent points of your belief. Brevity is to be preferred to tedium (I speak of the several hundred pages).

#80 Arbo, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.