1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Repentance

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

We'll, one side is clearly confused....

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If a preacher, at the end of an evangelistic sermon, says to his congregation (assuming there are unsaved people present), "Unless you repent of all your sins you cannot be saved," he is wrong.

If a preacher at a business meeting is following Jesus's guidelines set forth in Matthew 18, and is dealing with a member who has been immoral or unfaithful to his wife, and says, "unless you repent of your sin, you will not be welcome here," he is right.

John the Baptist was preaching to the Jews. He preached a message of repentance. He not only preached that they had to repent, but they had to bring fruit of their repentance before he would baptize them. But he was speaking to the Pharisees. At that time they were still God's chosen people.

The word metanaoi means to "have a change of mind."
    It does not mean to forsake all your sins. That is reformation not regeneration.
    He must have a change of mind with respect to his attitude toward God.
    As an unsaved person his attitude is rebellious and sinful. By putting his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, he is changing his attitude (a change of mind toward God). He is not rebellious now, but submissive to the will of God. That is repentance--a change of mind toward God. It is always a change of mind. That is what the word means.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You live and thrive upon straw man arguments, which frankly is the only way you can 'win' on this board. It all reminds me of the scarecrow on the Wizard of Oz and that 'tune' he sang.

No one here preaches what you accuse. But you must pretend and accuse to convince yourself that you've 'won'.

All you've done to this point is prove in redundant manner that you have no idea what biblical repentance is, or what it entails.

4. preacher4truth

Which was Dr. Bob's point. :thumbs:

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Jesus and John spoke repentance of sin to the Jews, being God chosen people. They were the "target audience" at that time.

When Christ died, He rent the veil of the temple in twain, so that whosoever repents of their sins, has access to the Holiest of All...being Christ.

You're preaching two repentances, one for Jews and one for Gentiles. In Christ, there is neither male nor female, Jew nor Greek. Repentance is required of all men, yet repentance is a gift of God...

6. preacher4truth

Bingo. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Look at the book of Numbers. There is one way for the Israelite and for the stranger in the land which are one in the same. There were not two ways, foreshadowing Christ as the only way to the Father (John 14:6) yet we have some here preaching a different way for the Jews, and a different way for the Gentiles.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am not a Calvinist and so we part ways. The logical outcome of your last statement is that God repents on behalf of man. You have taken a scripture out of its context and made it a pretext for your beliefs. Repentance is not a gift (and neither is faith). God gives no such things to the unregenerate.
    But he does command the unsaved man everywhere to repent.
    He doesn't do it for them. He doesn't give it to them as a gift.
    I find that to be a ridiculous position.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You would find it to be ridiculous...:rolleyes:

Man can believe for himself, can repent for himself....

God's just in his way...:rolleyes:

If man can repent and believe for himself, why do so many fail to do so?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. Because they have not heard the gospel.
    2. Because they have heard the gospel and have rejected it.
    3. Because of the depravity of their own hearts.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

So then don't send anyone to tell them about Christ. They'll remain safe....

11. preacher4truth

More straw man nonsense on your part. No one has said this which, yet again, shows you have no understanding of true biblical repentance or what it entails.

You're a parrot for IFB's and haven't come to the truth of the matter. :thumbs:

#111 preacher4truth, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I believe the message is self-explanatory:
    Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you do NOT suppor the LS position then as advocated by some that unless we have repented and submitted ALL know sinning unto Lordsgip of jesus, were not really saved?

As the Holy Spirit granted me a changed herat/mind as concering the person and work of jesus. and that I could not save myself by own works/deeds, so received him thru faith, was saved, and now we experience lifetime repentance, correct?

Does not mean that we ever have jesus as "Lord over all aspects of my like 24/7}. bu that my heart bent is towards pleasing and serving him, and to confess and repent of known sinning as he convicts that to me, correct?

14. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we turn from our sins (which is what repentance is) at our salvation, we do not itemize our sins. We don't say to God, "Father, I repent of lying to Bob on March 25, 1987; I repent of throwing litter out of my car on December 8th, 2004; I repent of losing my temper with my wife on October 11th, 1997" et. al. We turn from our sins in toto. Hopefully you understand the difference.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who advocates that?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you equate that repenting of sins in toto is the same as actually forsaking and stopping commiting them, that unless we have really stopped sinning, gave not really repented?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Unless He is lord over all of your life, then he is actually Lord of none of your life"

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That does not asnwer my question and apprently that phrase does not mean what you think it means.

19. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are conflating the repentance that accompanies salvation and the process of sanctification. Once we become a believer we are in the process of becoming more like Christ. Sometimes more so, sometimes less so; but the Spirit is always working to conform us more to Christ's image. I never once stated that Christians do not sin. None of the Reformers ever said such a thing. Even the much maligned Paul Washer and John MacArthur have never said that.

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, Ingio Montoya. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.