1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repetition & Redundancy in the Scriptures

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say no. Here are a few translations that also do not add to scripture:
    YLT: and many first shall be last, and last first.
    Darby: But many first shall be last, and last first.
    NET: But many who are first will be last, and the last first.
    HCSB: But many who are first will be last, and the last first.
    NASB: "But many who are first will be last; and the last, first.

Now if you look at the Greek text of Matthew 19:30, "who are" is not in the text, and thus also a needless addition.

A simple straightforward translation would read, "Yet many first will be last, and the last first."

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Matthew is fond of certain phrases which he repeats (KJV) --
    8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint [him] his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Have you discovered any biblical redundancy in your recent readings? (Remember: please do not include quotations of OT in NT, or parallel Gospel passages, etc)

3. franklinmonroe

More duplication from Matthew (KJV) --
    20:16b ... for many be called, but few chosen.

22:14 For many are called, but few [are] chosen.
    From what I can tell, the Greek TR is identical in both verses. However, the Greek CT does not have this latter 'b' portion of 20:16 at all.

#63 franklinmonroe, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  4. franklinmonroe

Another redundancy in Matthew (KJV) --
    24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but not very English.

6. franklinmonroe

Have you discovered any biblical redundancy in your recent readings?

Continuing here with duplicate words found in Matthew (KJV) --

3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Does your translation also display the repetition?

7. franklinmonroe

With only two small exceptions ("also" in 6:14, and "For" in 8:11) the same words are used for both Jeremiah 6:14 & 8:11 (KJV) --

6:14 They have healed also the hurt [of the daughter] of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when [there is] no peace.

8:11 For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace,
    peace; when [there is] no peace.

There is a word in the Hebrew for "daughter of" in 8:11 that is not in 6:14. Is this where the inserted words "of the daughter" of 6:14 have their basis? Note that 8:11 is completely absent from the LXX!

#67 franklinmonroe, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  8. franklinmonroe

More repetition from the book of Jeremiah (KJV) --

30:22 And ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

11:4 Which I commanded your fathers in the day [that] I brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace, saying, Obey my voice, and do them, according to all which I command you: so shall ye be my people, and I will be your God:

7:23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

Notice that the phrases are reversed in order at 7:23. The same words are found a couple other places in the OT --
    Leviticus 26:12 And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and ye shall be my people.

Ezekiel 36:28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.
    Note: the negative is expressed in Hosea 1:9 --

Then said [God], Call his name Loammi: for ye [are] not my people, and I will not be your [God].

#68 franklinmonroe, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  9. franklinmonroe

Repetition from the book of Luke 14:11 & 18:14 (KJV) --

14:11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

In 14:11 we read "whosoever" and in 18:11 "every one", yet it is the same Greek pronoun in both verses.

10. franklinmonroe

Formula repetition at II Kings 2:2 - 6 (KJV) --

2 And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Bethel.
    And Elisha said [unto him, As] the LORD liveth, and [as] thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee.
    So they went down to Bethel.
    And the sons of the prophets that [were] at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him,
    Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day?
    And he said, Yea, I know [it]; hold ye your peace.

4 And Elijah said unto him, Elisha, tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Jericho.
    And he said, [As] the LORD liveth, and [as] thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee.
    So they came to Jericho.
    And the sons of the prophets that [were] at Jericho came to Elisha, and said unto him,
    Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day?
    And he answered, Yea, I know [it]; hold ye your peace.

6 And Elijah said unto him, Tarry, I pray thee, here; for the LORD hath sent me to Jordan.
    And he said, [As] the LORD liveth, and [as] thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee.
    And they two went on.
    Verses 2, 4 & 6 have similarities, while 3 & 5 are also alike to each other. Some of the differences are shown in black type.

11. franklinmonroe

Formula repetition from Numbers 23 & 24 (KJV) --

23:1 And Balaam said unto Balak, Build me here seven altars,
    and prepare me here seven
    oxen and seven rams.
    23:29 And Balaam said unto Balak, Build me here seven altars,
    and prepare me here seven bullocks and seven rams.

(The Hebrew behind the English renderings of "oxen" & "bullock" seems to be the same word.)

23:22 God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.
    24:8a God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: ...
    (The English renderings of "them" & "him" seem to be justified by the underlying Hebrew.)

24:3 And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said,
    and the man whose eyes are open hath said:

24:15 And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said,
    and the man whose eyes are open hath said:

#71 franklinmonroe, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  12. franklinmonroe

Two verses that have very similar phrases Ephesians 6:21 & Colossians 4:7

21 But that ye also may know my affairs, [and] how I do, Tychicus,
    a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things:

7 All my state shall Tychicus declare unto you, [who is]
    a beloved brother, and a faithful minister and fellowservant in the Lord:

...and two verses that are virtually identical Ephesians 6:22 & Colossians 4:8 (KJV) --

22 Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs,
    and [that] he might comfort your hearts.

8 Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that he might know your estate,
    and comfort your hearts;

13. franklinmonroe

Psalm 96:1, 98:1, 149:1, and Isaiah 42:10 (KJV) --

O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth.

O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, [and] his praise in the congregation of saints.

Sing unto the LORD a new song, [and] his praise from the end of the earth, ye that go down to the sea, and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.

The shorter phrase of "sing unto the Lord" (without "a new song") occurs many more times.

14. franklinmonroe

James 4:6 & 1 Peter 5:5 (KJV) --

But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all [of you] be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

The difference in the English here of "but" and "and" is actually the very same word in the Greek (δὲ). Why should it be translated differently in these two verses?

15. franklinmonroe

Some repetition in Isaiah 28:10, 13 (KJV) --

For precept [must be] upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little:

But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

16. franklinmonroe

Some repetition in Galatians 5:6, and 6:15 (KJV) --

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

17. franklinmonroe

Some repetition in Revelation 21:4, and 7:17 (KJV) --

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Very similar to Isaiah 25:8 --

He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken [it].

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a good thread with the good subject, a good study, and a good summary.

Thanks to Franklin!

Eliyahu

19. franklinmonroe

Have you discovered a biblical redundancy?

Continuing with duplicate words found in Matthew (KJV) --

4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee,
    teaching in their synagogues,
    and preaching the gospel of the kingdom,
    and healing all manner of sickness
    and all manner of disease among the people.

9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages,
    teaching in their synagogues,
    and preaching the gospel of the kingdom,
    and healing every sickness
    and every disease among the people.

The difference between "Galilee" and 'the cities and villages" is supported by the Greek. However, the Greek words are the same for the KJV renderings of "all manner" and "every". Is "every" synonymous with "all manner"?

The words "among the people" are present in the TR Greek but are not in the critical Greek text at 9:35.

20. franklinmonroe

More duplicated words found in Matthew (KJV) --

13:53 And it came to pass, [that] when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence.

19:1 And it came to pass, [that] when Jesus had finished these sayings, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judaea beyond Jordan;

26:1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished all these sayings, he said unto his disciples,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.