1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Replacing your Auto

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Apr 5, 2008.

?
  1. BRAND NEW

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. A LEASE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ONE YEAR OLD

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. 2-4 YEARS

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. 5-7 YEARS

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. WINTER RAT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. OHTER ANSWER

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you need a vehicle what do you prefer?

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Brand New of course. But with the money as tight as it is and has been, the last new car I bought was in 2002. It is getting time to look for another. My '96 Aerostar is falling apart, it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Well over 210,000 miles and no major mechanical problems. God has surely blessed us with this van. I bought my wife an '02 KIA and God again was gracious as this car has performed very good. If you've ever known someone who drives the doors off a car, I'm that person. :wavey:

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No wonder you got over 210K miles with no major mechanical problems, all you drive is the doors.

Put them back on and take the rest for a spin... :laugh: :laugh:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

The poll asks for preference. I bet most of us would prefer a new car.

The reality of what I will get, however, is much different. :)

5-7 year old here....at best.

"New car," 1-income family, and aversion to debt don't mix.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I tend to purchase used cars now, because when you drive a new one off the lot, it drops amazingly in value.

As to age, it depends on the car and deal I get. Hondas have great resale power, even old ones.

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I usually get whatever I can pay cash for at the time. God has a way of making sure I have what I need when I need it. He's good!

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Isn't it neat how that works out?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would prefer 1 - 3 years old with under 20k miles. The major depreciation has happened already, and even a "new" car is used in a couple months. It doesn't make sense financially to buy new.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:thumbs: Still has warranty... :thumbs:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, and with the extended powertrain warranties some manufacturers offer today, you can be under warranty the entire time you own the vehicle without purchasing the dealership extended warranty (a total scam...just got through purchasing an '05 Jeep Liberty for the wife. They tried to sell us this $1500 piece of garbage).

#10 webdog, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  11. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

We buy new and drive it for the next 10 years. We have yet to put less than 165,000 miles on one and have driven several to the 200,000 mile point. (both American and foreign)

We have had way less unexpected car trouble doing things this way than when we bought used.

12. MaryKay

MaryKay New Member

I perfer new but right now I will keep the one I have for as long as it runs well.

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Since your question was "what do you prefer", I chose the one saying that I "prefer' a new car, but what I would prefer and what I can afford are two different things. I've had only one new car in my lifetime, and I'm 62. Usually, I can only afford other people's throw-aways. My car is 10 years old and will be a lot older before I can get anything else. Fortunately, it runs quite well.

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Does "Winter Rat" mean a car older than 7 years?

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our last three cars (all different models) have been a dealership manager's or executive's cars - all with about 3-6,000 miles. All three have been excellent deals -- usually with no/minimum haggling over the price. Benefits: "almost" new car, lower than "new" price, and full warranty without the questions/problems that are associated with a used car.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Cheap that runs good. Usually we limit to $1,500.

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

New. Unless you know the previous owner and the maintenance schedule then you always run the risk of inheriting someone else’s problems. We typically keep our cars at least 15 years and put over 250,000 miles on some of them. (one actually topped 400,000) As the only owner I know the entire history of the car, I know it was never wrecked and I know the fluids have been changed. I baby my cars, don’t speed, don’t take off fast, don’t slam on brakes. Yes I drive like an old woman and am proud of that. I think it pays off in the life I get out of my vehicles.

Right now we have a 97 Suburban we bought new that now has 140,000 miles on it. A friend of mine had an identical model that fell apart on him several years ago. He would say, “I just don’t know why yours has held up so much better.” I don’t want to be rude but I know why, he drives like a teenage dirt track driver, speeds everywhere, tailgates, loves to lay hard on the gas and brake. I am sure I also get better gas mileage than he does.

As far as the depreciation on new cars goes, I plan to keep any car I purchase for 15 – 20 years so depreciation is not as big of an issue to me as dependability.

18. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always buy a used car from a very honest Christian dealer. Buying new is poor stewardship. Drive a new car off the lot and it depreciates greatly. Buying a good used car and most of the depreciation has already taken place.

Years ago, at the research firm I worked for, a senior engineer was given the task of researching and determining the optimum length of time a person should keep a car ... in other words, the length of time that give the best economic return. His research in the monograph that was published said to hold onto the car until it DIES.:wavey:

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

You have honest car dealers over there? Perhaps I should go to Czech for my next auto.

20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

NC, the honest car dealer is in Annapolis, Maryland. He is the one I buy cars from when I am home in the States. Public transporation is so good here that I would never buy a car here. In fact, I would not take one as a gift, would be too much of a bother .... plus gas is about $8.00 to $9.00 a gallon US here.:laugh: