1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Report: White House to bypass red tape, complete border fence

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Border fence advocate Colin Hanna is pleased the Bush administration is willing to take a bold step to complete construction of nearly 700 miles of fencing along the border with Mexico, as directed by Congress.

Story Here

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not surprised. The federal government is getting very used to ignoring laws.

3. mactx

mactx New Member

Well according to the article "the administration" if that means President Bush isn't doing this (though it needs doing!) Congress gave the go ahead.

That isn't even a republican majority congress, perhaps the folks up north are beigning to hear us in the south west after all. However it gets done, the sooner the better.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article references both the Bush administration and the Congress(thus, my reference to the federal government and not just one branch of it):

"federal officials say the administration intends to bypass more than 30 laws and regulations in an effort to complete 670 miles of fence along the U.S.-Mexico border by the end of the year, as mandated by the Secure Fence Act of 2006. Congress has authorized the legal waivers"

5. mactx

mactx New Member

True, my thinking was though that President Bush, aka administration, can not just willy nilly by pass the law, Congress must ok it as well. Make sense? (I usually do not hence why I lurk more than post!:laugh:)

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:thumbs: :thumbs:

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen! The safety of our border patrol agents is important, too.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does your perceived ignoring of the law play into this?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Anyone who thinks a fence will solve the immigration problem is sorely mistaken. This is window dressing by certain elements within both parties to give the impression they are addressing the problem. The underlying causes must be boldly and forthrightly addressed to make any real progress. This fence will accomplish nothing but spending more money.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

This is one of the most stupid things our government has ever done. The fence that we have at present is not stopping the illegal and we want to build more. If we would simply carry out our laws against illegal that we have we would see them stop coming. Put them in prison for 5 years no early release for the first offense. If they have children take them from them and on their release deport them.
    If they return again give them 10 years. A third time life without parole. Also anyone who hires an illegal would be subject to the same punishment. There is a state that makes it a crime and the illegal are all moving out. We do not need a fence. We need laws that have teeth and a government that up holds them.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

How would you solve the problem?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The opposition to the fence only proves just how effective it is. The more threatened by it folks are the more reason to build it.

And while Mexico opposes our fence they are building (with our financial help) their own southern fence for the very same reason we are building one.

Story Here

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Mexico is not building a fence, they are building a gate...

I'm thinking they'll take our dollars and claim this was all they could get...

[​IMG]

15. mactx

mactx New Member

Well, being where I am, my fence keeps folks out of my yard. they also know if htye trespass htye can legally be hsot on site.
    That is a good deterrant i would think.