1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Republicans criticize Confederate flags at Obama visit

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

More deflection. They didn't adopt the American flag as a symbol of their racist attitudes against integration.

So another false equivalency.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know little to nothing about the KKK. The CBF is not tied to them nor do they use it as a symbol of their organization.

The American flag is the flag they carry:

[​IMG]

Their actual symbol is this:

[​IMG]

The KKK do carry it when they want to express southern heritage but they also and in fact more often carry the American flag just as many other people do the same for both who are opposed to the KKK.

What you actually know about the KKK is what you can learn from false news stories and the internet. I can assure you that you are as lost as the day is long on this issue.

3. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

This is off OP topic, but I greatly disagree. In fact, if I see an American flag waving in someone's front lawn, I will be tempted to break through a window to check and make sure they're not being held hostage. After all, that's what that means: it's a distress signal. Not a political tool.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The American flag being hung upside down was originally used on American ships that were in distress prior to the 1900's. Over the years after it has become a means to communicate the condition of our country as a whole. Some may call that a political tool others would see it as a rallying cry over the condition of the country.

Those who want to be offended over its use in the latter manner are welcome to be offended. Veterans all over the country and Americans who have never served often do use the flag, in some instances, in that manner.

It would be an odd thing to bust into someone's home because of an upside down flag in their yard given the change, over the years, in the symbolism behind it.

Doing so would likely be little more than a action taken to express the disagreement over how they are using it. It may also get you put in jail.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not disagreeing, but

this country, as a whole. is in great distress. The country that you and I love is systimatically being destroyed.

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have that right for now.

And when have we ever been in more distress?

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The American flag, to the majority of citizens, implies freedom and when seen, people think "The United States."

If I see somebody parked at a business, with a United States flag on their vehicle, I enjoy it. I wonder if the person driving it is a soldier and am happy to see someone who appears to care about this country.

I do not feel the same about the other flag. It brings nervousness and concern for my safety and that of my family and others with us.

Is EVERYONE on this board a White southerner???

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just have no words...............

9. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist about your irrational phobia?

I am. Is that a problem for you, princess?

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It isn't a problem, muffin.
    But if I'd have said yes what would you propose we do? Go to the Baptist Board parking lot and fight?

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. I'd just suggest that you get help for your phobias.

#31 JohnDeereFan, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  12. targus

targus New Member

What a racist thing to say!

Not all blacks throw spears!

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Go read your history. Every time that flag gets resurrected, it is due to racism being revived. Look what started off this last one - the mass killing of non-whites by a White person who obviously used that flag as a symbol of hatred. Now once again, as in the past, the KKK is marching and rallying to defend that flag.

And you want me to seek help for being nervous when I see someone waving that flag? You call it a phobia? That's just crazy.

THINK about it. Is that symbol truly representative of who and what you are? You want to associate yourself with it? Please explain why that is important to you. What, in your mind, do you honestly believe people will think when they see you showing off that flag?

14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean the history I have two degrees in and taught at the secondary and college levels for several years?

So, because somebody misuses a symbol, that makes the symbol bad?

If that's what you believe, then you need to be equally afraid of the American flag, since far more racism occurred under it than under the Confederate flag.

You might also want to take the cross out of your church (assuming you go to church) because it was used as a symbol of hatred and intimidation by the Klan.

And, for goodness' sake, stop singing Amazing Grace, because that song was written by a slave trader.

I agree. Your phobia is crazy.

Why do I care what people think about the flag? Look at the people here who object to it. They're all idiots and one crazy person. Why should I care what a bunch of idiots think?

#34 JohnDeereFan, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and yes, the Confederate Flag IS a symbol of States rights.
    Something these united States need more of in these days.

Salty

PS, Yes, I intentionally did use lower case for "united"

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe you.

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Lame. Go sit in the corner.

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sure is. A symbol of states' rights to say their people could own slaves.

Just as the battleflag is a symbol of states' rights to not integrate.

We need more states saying that their people can own slaves?

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

AMEN!!!

Gina, they know what it really means. They just don't care just like the folks giving Donald Trump the lead in the polls. Like with the things Donald Trump says, they support the what that you know that flag stands.

That's why they don't mind associating with it.

And it's sad because it's the same attitude that allowed so called Christians to stand by and turn a blind eye during both slavery and Jim Crow as Blacks were lynched and burned and hanged and dragged under those flags.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ol' Abe may have even honored the flag, but then he actually knew why he embroiled the nation in a civil war. He would never have went to war to free the slaves.

And he knew it was nothing more than a battle flag. Union troops first saw it in battle when they invaded the confederacy. The last look they got of it was over their shoulders as they ran from the battlefield.