Republicans give a bigger share of their incomes to charity, says a prominent economi

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ps104_33, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33
    Expand Collapse

2. carpro

carpro
    Expand Collapse

Of course.

3. npc

npc
    Expand Collapse

Another detail I found interesting was this:

4. saturneptune

saturneptune
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The maps are nearly indentical except a few states. My question is, what does voting for George Bush have to do with being conservative or generous?

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

There's also a correlation between tax rates and charitable giving. I'm not talking about the correlation with tax deductions, which is a factor in itself. (Most pharmaceutical companies give away a billion a year in free drugs and say they would give more if they could deduct more.)

IOW, when taxes are raised, this cuts into real income because investments are down, and it cuts into disposable income, so giving goes way down. The most recent tax rate reduction has drastically increased tax revenue (due to much more money being made), but it has also increased disposable income, and charitable giving is waaaay up as well.

But, you can't fight class warfare this way, so the liberals all say, "we need to bite the bullet and raise taxes." Well, the bullet is a self-inflicted wound if you raise taxes: Revenues fall and charitable giving falls.

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

North Carolina Tentmaker
    Expand Collapse

It goes beyond that, the difference is in world view and their view of the role governments should play in our lives. The Democrat or Liberal view is that government should care for citizens like a benevolent parent. The Republican or conservative view is that people should take care of themselves and to some extent for each other.

Working for a company that is based in Europe I have run into this mindset with our excecutives many times. They don't understand why American companies give contributions to charities. As a company we used to give to united way, the local food bank, and other charities. Their response is usually, "why do you need things like that, your government should take care of it." So while we can do payroll deductions for individuals ideas like matching corporate funds are no longer allowed.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector
    Expand Collapse

Sad . . .

Sad . . . (Repeating myself because the first sad was too short to take . . .)

8. billwald

billwald
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

the joke of non-profit charities

All "non-profit" means is that the organization has no stock holders. Doesn't mean that people are not getting rich off contributions. Most large charity managers pay themselves big bucks and this includes many "Christian" charities.

9. JustChristian

JustChristian
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I agree. The difference is between religious and non-religious people not between Republicans and Democrats or liberals and conservatives. It's amazing how statistics can be used to (try to) prove anything you want to prove.