1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Republicans Hail Parts of Bill That Few of Them Supported

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Feb 21, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You guys were invited to the table of discussion but instead you stand on your far right positions and chose not to make compromise or meet anyone half way. We can't unite someone who doesn't want to be united and we WON'T unite under the conditions that it's your way (the GOP) or it's wrong. When the GOP gets done being spoiled little children and wants to meet others in a bipartisan comprise then you know where the others are.

Don't know where you got those numbers from but as of 12/2008 Pew reported 36% of American's identify themselves as Democrats, 27% as Republicans and 37% claim no party identification. Of the ones who claim no affiliation, 15% lean Democratic, 10% lean Republican, and 12% have no leaning either way. Also remember of the 27% who identify as republican's, only three-quarters disapprove of the stimulus and the president efforts. So it's not 40% of American's making noise and being sad sacks.

Can you show me where I have done any of these, "The unwarranted intimations of racism, elitism, and all the name-calling"? I will be glad to apologize if I have called any of you names but the most I recall is saying there is a section of the GOP that are bing sad sacks, making noise and that the GOP is very fragmented and divided. Those are statements about the party as a whole and not about individuals.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

You really think this? I don't mind all your GOP-bashing - I even agree with some of it (although I disagree with your hateful rhetoric of such). But where you lose me is with your love and adoration of the Democratic Party. Are you still ignoring the big elephant in the room of abortion? It's disgusting.

#22 Andy T., Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
  3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Psst...I'm not republican. Democrat either. I would ask you to define "far right," but I doubt you could, so I won't trouble you. It sounds nice, though. Makes you sound elitist, almost.

You taken a look at Presidential politics lately? You bothered looking at the split of the house/senate? Didn't think so. Check those out, and get back to me about how my figures are so wrong...

Here you go, O innocent one...

Feel free to apologize at your convenience.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because it's a big elephant issue politically for you does not mean it is one for me. It is one issue among many for me as I survey the political landscape.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Why is it not that important to you?

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Does everyone have to feel that abortion is the number one issue to be a Christian?

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I think it is getting close to adding to scripture. Perhaps it is in the First Letter of Paul to the Church of Extremity.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

To be a Christian? No, and I'm not sure why you took that leap. But it is the most important moral issue of our generation bar none. And if you don't think that's the case, then I would like to hear why - which is what I essentially asked Ken.

#28 Andy T., Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Who has said that abortion has to be the most important issue in order for one to be a Christian?

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emphasis mine

1) Why? Consistency! When you can't argue the merits of a case, DIVERT!!!

This tactic occurs quite frequently from the left, and if you don't watch for it they will sucker you right in to their trap. Then they have you defending yourself for some premise you never made, BUT they have lured you off the topic that they could not defend!!

Just be vigilant as you read!

2) If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath!

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's near the top of the list of quite a few babies... :tear:

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of a very conscience decision on my part that the abortion issue would not drive my vote. There's really nothing more to it than that.

Maybe it's because, as far as I am aware, I have never known someone who had had an abortion nor a known someone who has known someone who had had an abortion.

But that's just me. I've always been a homebody.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The ultra-conservatives. Guys like Eric Cantor of VA.

Daily... There is a split in the house and the senate and if you read the OP of this thread you can see there is a split in the right side of the split.

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ok, so you answered my question as to why it's not that important to you, by saying that you decided it's not that important to you. That's a non-answer.

What does this have to do with anything? I've never personally known someone who was murdered, but I think murder is a great evil and should be outlawed. I've never personally known someone who has been raped, but it is also a great evil and should be outlawed. I've never personally known a Christian who was severely persecuted like they are in other countries, but I also know this is a great evil and concerns me.

You sound really callous and uncaring when you indicate your lack of concern for the unborn is dependent on whether you have been personally affected by abortion.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...if enough folks took this position in 1938, there wouldn't be a Jewish race.