1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Requesting elder authority/support regarding street evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am all for making disciples. I just have not made any in my experience. But I am still preaching the gospel to every creature (NIV) as far as I can on the streets. As JonC said God expects "faithfulness" and faithfulness does not always bring forth numerical results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that really true? Are you unable to do anything else?

I'm not suggesting the pastorate, but volunteer ministries through your church could be opportunities to serve. I'm also not suggesting that your street preaching needs to go.

I've never been divorced, so I can't relate to that specific situation, but I have come close to a divorce. I can only imagine how painful that process must have been for you because when I almost divorced, it was quite painful.

Regardless of what you come to believe about remarriage, I would suggest taking some time off from trying to pursue another relationship (except for with your ex-wife, which is not likely to happen, as you mentioned). Maybe you can get some counseling if you haven't already.

From your posts, I sense some anger, bitterness, and frustration. All of those things are to be expected after a divorce. Just try to make it through day by day. Eventually, things will get better for you in this area. I do apologize if I have interpreted your posts incorrectly.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say that.

You need to do a word study on worship

Uh no its not. They can share the gospel with anyone who comes in their room. Many, many Christians do that.

There is nothing about this statement that is true or correct. Your comparison is not on equal footing to what we are talking about.

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can only share the Gospel (Effectively, ie "And being filled with the Holy Ghost...When they were filled with the Holy Ghost...) in the power of the Holy Spirit, when a person is in unrepentant and blatant Sin he is Quenching and Grieving the Holy Spirit. NO Holy Spirit = no ministering. I gave you analogies that perfectly described the OP's situation. Once again, sometimes it's important for a person to get the care and attention they need so they can get back to doing what God has called them to do, if it's within the principles laid out in Scripture.

Edited to add

Back to Worship (even in your own definition) We worship God in Spirit and In Truth. No Spirit, no worship, correct? How can someone serve who is devoid of the Spirit?

#124 JonShaff, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached.

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the IMPORTANT thing, however, For an individual's relationship with Christ concerning worship/service, Motive is EVERYTHING.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh well they should just stay home on Sunday then.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's where they will get ministered to, why would they stay home :)

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean let's be honest, is this powerful preaching? Not trying to be critical...

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well it appears we have different ideas about what is supposed to happen on Sunday morning. I go to church whether I am preaching or not to give God my worship regardless whether or not I receive anything. God deserves it.

I do not go to church to get, I go to church to give. I cannot worship God for the purpose of getting something. That is antithetical to worship in Spirit and Truth. Our focus is either on God or it is on us. If on us then we are not worshiping.

Ministering is done one on one. Further, we do not stop because we fail. If that were the case we would never be able to serve as we all fail every day.

11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think somewhere in my responses i've either misrepresented my views or you may have mistaken them. I apologize if i wasn't clear, brother :)

1. We go to Service on Sunday to GIVE God our Worship. Agreed. We GIVE Him Praise, We GIVE Him Thanksgiving, We GIVE Him our Time, We Give Him our heart...Totally Agreed

2. Does God Minister to us through the Preaching of the Word? Christ said, "I came to Serve." God STILL demonstrates His love by Ministering to Us through His Word and His Spirit. Did He stop Ministering After His resurrection and say, "OK, I'm done serving, now it's on you."

What i'm specifically speaking about is this--If we have a particular Gift or calling and We are in rebellious, Unrepentant Sin, particularly in a Lifestyle of Sin, We should stop that particular Endeavor and refocus our Attention on the Triune God for a time of repentance and healing. Specifically, a guy who is a "Street Preacher". Get off the street and get on your knees...repent.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you said it - "let's be honest".

I think being critical is exactly what you are trying to do by posting that video. You aren't showing us anything we haven't already seen many times for many years.

For YEARS on this board and many other boards, help - discipleship -a ministering heart have been offered and earnest advice about a ton of subjects from a proper motivation has been given to this poster.......unfortunately to no avail. And there are reasons for that many don't understand.

It's easy to see on this thread alone who has servant's heart - even though stern words have to be used - and who have critical spirits. And I'll readily confess - over the years, I've been both.

I'll just leave all of you to sort out who is whom.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He needs to repent. Quite frankly I doubt a particular calling to street preaching. I think it is born out of personal preference. However, we should never stop serving God. There are high callings like pastor and deacon that require a more mature and prepared position but even Jonah did what God told him to do without the proper motive. In fact he was mad that God saved them. We need to be careful about telling someone to stop serving God. They may need to change how they do that for a time but never stop altogether.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question is at the end when that one guy is asking about Hell, why not go down to his level and talk to him face to face. Why stay up on the stairs and talk down to him.

15. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and God alone know the motives of my heart. Got it. I mean what i say and say what i mean. I was NOT trying to be critical. I was saying let's be honest, that's not powerful preaching. Examine it.

But you obviously know the intent of my heart.

16. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with what you say brother, i will re-examine how i approach subjects like this. My apologies for any confusion.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But in this area (relationships), Keener is egalitarian, not complementarian. Oh no!

Christians for Biblical Equality - Craig Keener

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE of us hre can claim that! Just need to really step back and draw close to Lord, and a good Church home, and make sure your walk with your ex and the Life is all right now first!

20. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your attitude. I wish others on this board spoke like you. Counseling heh? Through a Christian counseling agency? The church? I tend to be more open with females but the problem is that most in the area that claim to be Christian are just loaded with so much psycho babble. The pastor at church would be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.