1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

requirement for being a pastor

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by bobby c, Aug 15, 2003.

1. bobby c

bobby c New Member

If a man's wife has been divorced but he has not been divorced should this disqulify him from becoming a pastor?

2. Willow 2

Willow 2 New Member

I donot feel that a pastor should be judged for his wifes past.
    nor in my opinion' i donot feel the lord meant the husband of one wife like people believes he did, i believe it means he can only have one woman in his life, like he should not be having afair's. this is what i feel it meant.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Real thorny issue. Especially if the wife's divorce was pre-salvation. Went to seminary with many men in that situation.

Our ifb school trained these men, but always with the caveat that some churches would not consider them because of the wife's "situation".

My thoughts? My wife and I are one. If SHE is not blameless, neither am I. If SHE is not above reproach, neither am I. Etc Etc

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was the wife divorce relating to Adultery caused by the other party?

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Did the wife attempt reconcilliation? Did she forgive her husband as Christ forgives us and commands us to forgive our brother who sins against us 70 X's 7? Did the husband dessert her?

If not, then she is NOT blameless and her new husband is not blameless and is disqualified to be a pastor... in my opinion and according to how I read scripture!

People keep saying that divorce if not an unforgiveable sin. Well neither is a man's adultery. If God can forgive it, so should the wife.

Diane