1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rescue Missions

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by baptisttg, Nov 16, 2004.

1. baptisttg

baptisttg New Member

I preach is two rescue missions that are considered "Christian" and I see oftentimes areas that may be of offence to many fundamental brethren. I was wondering if any of you guys/ladies know of any fundamental inner-city works that resemble, say, the Pacific Garden Mission in Chicago. This ministry must be a Biblically sound ministry. I would love to know about them, their location, whatever you may have.

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outstanding is the Whosoever Gospel Mission and Rescue Home in Philadelphia. This Mission has been in existence over 100 years, starting as a "soup kitchen," and having experienced a transformation into what it is today. The program serves men in a residential program where they are taught a Christian version of a 12-step program, vocational training, life skills, and most important, how to find salvation and hope in Jesus Christ. The program takes referrals from law enforcement, parole board, and other agencies, even though the work is Christ-centered. They just know the program works.

Also excellent in Philadelphia is the Sunday Breakfast Association, which is more of the traditional rescue mission type program. This ministry is located near the downtown area, and is also a long-standing fixture in the city.

3. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    See also the Association of Gospel Rescue Missions.

web page

4. baptisttg

baptisttg New Member

Thanks Debby - Is it same to assume that all of the AGRM ministries are "fundamental?"

5. baptisttg

baptisttg New Member

Also, I would love to know what rescue missions the various fellowships (FBF, BBF, etc...) would support. I know that when it comes to supporting ministries most pastors do not "put their money where their mouth is" unless the ministry is right down the line.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in San Francisco, we support the Jesus Saves Gospel Rescue Mission on Sixth Street at Howard.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We DID support Central Wyoming Rescue Mission (our family was instrumental in establishing it 20 years ago).

Sadly, about ten years ago in order to receive county, city and state funding for homeless, battered women, etc, our Mission ELIMINATED the evening Gospel preaching. (Govt saw it as a conflict of religion/tax). They set up programs on one-on-one counseling and daily Bible classes (voluntary) and some have been saved and discipled.

But I am certainly disappointed at not being involved with a team from the church to minister any longer.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Several years ago, when an association of local churches started a mission in Camden, NJ, we went to the folks at the Whosoever Gospel Mission to see how they did it.

Those folks are amazing.

9. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what's so great about Whosoever Gospel Mission. They exist on contributions, income from recycling and thrift shops, and private foundations, including some national ones. So since they take no public money, instruction in the Christian life is part of the weave of the program. Yet the judicial system will make referrals, because the program works!

10. baptisttg

baptisttg New Member

It seems to me, even when a rescue mission DOES NOT give up its autonomy to the state, that there are still some things that are hard for many local churches to swallow, giving reason to write them off for support. For instance, the rescue mission is our city gets support from business (not neccesarilly Christian owned), individuals (not neccesarilly Christians), etc... which of course is a good tax write-off. I'm not against that for a rescue mission, however, I want believers to support the church. It seems many pastors have a difficulty not treating a rescue mission like a church. Any comments?

11. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Why would a Rescue Mission not be treated as a Missionary outreach of the Church?

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB - That's what many do. In the mission budget. Ours, because of the change from preaching evangelism type to a battered women shelter type program, lost our church's monthly support.

BTW, I took a bag of cosmetics (I travel and collect the little shampoos, soaps, etc at hotels and save them) to the mission for use on my way to Social Security yesterday. And got a turkey at the grocery store for $4 if I bought $25 and dropped off the turkey too.

Although our church, for doctrinal reason, cannot support them, there is no reason why I as an individual cannot help.

13. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Ya know a neat way to help your local Rescue Mission would be to start a Penny a Day Program.