1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Research Question Redux

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Jun 25, 2012.

?
  1. I attend a monergistic church but I'm synergistic.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I attend a synergistic church but I hold to monergistism.

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I'm synergistic and attend a synergistic church.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. I'm monergistic and attend a monergistic church.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Herald

Herald New Member

For those who have the ability to attend another church but don't, I'm curious as to why you remain where you are. Why do you attend a church in which you disagree with the majority on how salvation works. Not judging anybody, just curious.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Herald

Herald New Member

Oh, I know. I'm not concerned about that. Some will vote and be kind enough to share their reasons. That's good enough for me.

4. Herald

Herald New Member

kyredneck, the truth is that I've had to administratively "tune out" some of the more rabid members of the BB. Some have told me they've done the same to me. I don't mind that at all. It kind of narrows down my interaction to those who don't throw bombs and can agree/disagree with manners. It makes for a more pleasant message board experience IMHO.

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never put anyone on ignore, other than just actually ignoring them :D

The 'synergist' definition very concisely strikes to the core of the matter and for that reason alone most won't admit to being synergists.

6. Herald

Herald New Member

You have a much higher tolerance than I do. I salute you!

7. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm... I fail to see why a "synergist" would refuse to admit to it. To date...two synergists have done so, and admitted as much. Thus far, two "synergists" have admitted to being, in fact, "synergists". I am a "synergist". There is no reason to deny so. Unless they fear that the term itself has already become some form of "cuss word". If it has, then it is only because those who disagree with them have lied about what "synergists" believe. Looking at your initial thread on the topic which you linked to though, and how you defined the term....there is no reason to deny being a synergist....that is, except for the fact that your definition says
    and the insertion of the buzz-word "work" is all that is necessary for the monergist to begin accusing the synergist of "works salvation". When Synergists begin to feel that those who disagree with them treat their viewpoint more fairly....more will be willing to respond. No "synergist" believes that the "work" of regeneration is any other than God's alone. They believe that the "work" of regeneration will only be accomplished by God (and God alone) in accordance with Human will.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say a majority of our members would not know what either term means!

9. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

True...also hard to delineate what it means when one side of the argument insists on defining all terms on their own and only arguing based upon those definitions though.

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Guilty, I am a synergist.

11. Herald

Herald New Member

I can't even vote on my own poll? Can't figure that one else.

Well, I know this will be a surprise to most of you, but I'm a monergist in a monergist church.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

For examples?

13. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

No need to furnish them....if necessary, refer to my previous post which you are in fact quoting....I am, in fact, making a bald assertion, I am not deigning to defend it. I am not deigning to defend it because I believe that the truth of it is painfully obvious to any thinking person who wishes to explore the notion.

14. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Sure they would! I would think they all would and so far I think that all that have identified in the poll as such have. Is there a such thing as a synergistic calvinist? Is there such a thing as a monergistic non-calvinist? (...yeah, the terms are used loosely but I hope you get my point...)

#14 humblethinker, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Browse the link provided in post #2 and note the 'resistance' many have to admitting their belief that they cooperated with the 'birth from above'. That poll showed 36% synergists, 64% monergists; you think that's an accurate representation of the makeup on the BB? I don't, I believe if the numbers were reversed it would be a more accurate representation.

In no way have I ever intended the use of the term 'synergist' in a derogatory manner. IMHO, monergism is an advanced state for the Christian. IMHO, nearly all of us begin our journey as synergists.

And, as always, I respect that from you QF!

See my reply to HOS, browse that link and tell me what you think then.

#15 kyredneck, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  16. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I find the one you linked to very interesting. I don't think any synergist believes that they have a part in the actual regineration event itself, they would just maintain that the faith is cooperative and precedes regineration which is completely God's doing. I could see how a synergist would be able to answer either way on the older poll so I wouldn't be able to accept a conclusion as certain evidence.

Isn't it the case that Monergists don't believe that the Holy Spirit ever cooperates with the human will? I believe it is the case that Synergists believe that God can and does act unilaterally whenever He so desires but that He created a world such that people, having opportunities given to them by God and cooperating with God, can believe.