1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Residents vent over union's new deal

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"Michelle MacKay said it's unfair her family pays more for health insurance in a month than a newly negotiated union contract would require some Bucks County workers to pay in a year.
    The Middletown resident was one of four taxpayers who took the county to task Wednesday at a commissioners meeting for negotiating a five-year contract with American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees.
    For the first time ever, the deal requires many of the 800 AFSCME employees to contribute to their health care coverage, yet the contributions are significantly lower than costs paid by many private sector workers."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-07032008-1558170.html

Althought his story is from my former hometown, it irks me that as taxpayers we have to provide fully paid health care benefits to state and county employees while we in the private sector have to contribute as much as 5% of our income to our own plans. Its about time that these coddled and spoiled rotten government employees start to feel the pinch like the rest of us. And that goes to our representatives in Congress as well.

2. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Unions in private business also negotiate a sweet deal for their members. As a professional management employee I get a much worse medical insurance and pension package than do the non-management union members. Unions are one of the main reasons America is becoming increasing less competitive in the world economy. They served a good purpose in the days when management mistreated workers. Now it's the other way around. Workers are mistreating management.

ALL UNIONS SHOULD BE ABOLISHED IN AMERICA.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sympathy. I have to obtain my own insurance for my family. We pay over 10% of our income in health insurance premiums, with $2500 deductibles and no maternity coverage.

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Why don't you come up here to Kentucky and get all your Alabama boys off OUR jobsites then. Bring them back home to make Alabama money. :thumbs: You know nothing of unions or you would know our healthcare money comes off our check at the rate of about six bucks an hour.

#4 JerryL, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  5. billwald

billwald New Member

Management doesn't mistreat workers in scab shops? Then why is it that the scabs are complaining?

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

ummm....I agree! Can I say that?:laugh:

Not all Union employees contribute to their health insurance. It varies from Union to Union.

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

100% of the unions I deal with do. It comes off their check, but it is negoaciated in the package. Hey, if you don't like unions go work 70-90 hours a week. Unions brought you the 40 hour week plus an abundance of labor laws to protect workers. Feel free to go to a sweatshop and work for $2.00 an hour.

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I work in a union shop but Florida is a "right to work" state so I choose not to join the union. We have about 75 guys in our shop and I can count the number of guys on one hand that are in the union. Also even if you dont pay dues you have a right to representation. That I don't agree with. You dont pay dues, dont go the the union with a grievance.
    I do agree that we owe the unions for our 40 hour work week and time and a half for anything over 40 hours as well as many other benefits, but we all are going to have to chip in and pay some of the cost for health care. It is time for the unions to quit strong-arming companies into paying all the cost for health care. About $2000 dollars of the cost of an automobile pays for the auto workers health insurance. So whether they are city employees or private we all are subsidizing their insurance.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am former union, my father was both a union Rep and an organizer. In the union we belonged to the employer paid 100% of all employee benefits which was considerable.

I also know that unions are as equally corrupt and self centered as the companies. They are devious in their organizing, and want to eliminate all non union competition. Unions are not everything some make them out to be.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

They may be as corrupt but they are not as greedy. When Dave Beck and the Teamsters were running Seattle it was a good place to live and work.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am trying to figure out how in the world you separate the two.

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Also a professional employee, and I couldn't disagree with you more.

Regards,
    BiR

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

My Dad was a union member for 30 years in Ky. I've worked for over 30 years as a management employee. The only new medical benefits we got were those negotiated by the unions. I know about unions.

14. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

This was never meant to be a post for or against unions. I think that unioins have their place. It was meant to be about the unreasonable demands of those working in the civil sector who expect the taxpayer to pick up the tab for their health care benefits while having none of their own or paying high premiums and deductibles. Why should my taxes go up to provide benefits to someone that those working in the private sector have to pay for themselves. And that goes for those in politics.

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I think unions had their day. It's over. They are one reason why we're becoming less and less competitive in the international marketplace. They have rules like this kind of employee can only do this kind of work, etc. They have to go. Period.

16. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I couldn't disagree more........