1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Respect of Persons

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by James_Newman, Aug 11, 2006.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

2 Chronicles 19:7 Wherefore now let the fear of the LORD be upon you; take heed and do it: for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God, nor respect of persons, nor taking of gifts.

If God is not a respecter of persons, why do believers think that God will overlook sin in their own lives that He would not overlook in the life of someone else? How can God allow sin to go unpunished without being a respecter of persons?

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Who says the sin has gone unpunished? God's ways are not our own and His punishment may be so subtle as to not be seen by my eyes, while being completely recognizable to the person for whom the punishment is intended.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. My sister (a believer) paid with her life for getting so wrapped up in sin.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think you're not getting the point of the verse.

This verse is part of a passage that says that HUMAN judges should judge impartially. Those God appoints as judges whould not give favor to those who are richer, smarter, work harder, are better looking, or give gifts (bribes).

We should judge as the Lord judges - without respect to things like how smart a person is, how much harder he/she works, their looks, how rich they are, without respect to bribes (what do we have, anyway, that He has not given us?).

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Your correct about what the verse is saying, but in the bigger picture, we are to judge this way because this is how the Lord is going to judge us.

Colossians 3:23-25
    23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
    24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance; for ye serve the Lord Christ.
    25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done; and there is no respect of persons.

Can a believer say that he will not recieve for the wrong he does? Not according to this verse. But I don't know how many times I have been told that God will not judge believers for sin. If God just winks at my sin because I am a believer, would that not make God a respecter of persons?

6. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Christ died on the cross for my sins -- and yours, too. I've accepted this gift of God's grace. I am concerned about keeping sin out of my life, but not because of any of God's punishments. On the contrary, my concern is pleasing Him. I prefer not to place my faith or doctrinal beliefs on single verses, much less individual words.

#6 Not_hard_to_find, Aug 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2006
  7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I know that I am saved by the blood of Christ. But what does this passage from 1Peter mean?

1 Peter 1:17-19
    17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
    18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
    19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

He is warning a believer, who is redeemed with the precious blood of Christ, to 'pass the time of your soujourning here in fear.' Fear of what? and Why? Because the father judges according to every man's work, without respect of persons?

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Well, I don't agree with the last part. The fact that God treats a believer differently does not make Him a respecter of persons. A believer is only a believer because God changed his heart. So God is treating him differently because God made him different, not because of anything the believer did to make himself different (and therefore worthy of different treatment based on his own merit).

But I do believe God will judge believers, but that the payment will be different than for unbelievers. Of course God holds us (believers) accountable for sin. Otherwise, what would be the point in saying that if any of us do sin, we should confess our sins and God is faithful and just to forgive us those sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness? If we were not in any way responsible for our sins just because we are believers, that verse shoudln't exist.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I agree that believers are not going to be handled the same way as unbelievers. I'm certainly not trying to imply that our sin can somehow make the blood of Christ of no effect. But believers have consequences to fear if they will not repent of their sin, and they will surely come.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Well, I certainly can't disagree with that.

11. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a thought, "respector of persons" could be a subtile remark telling us that God does not look a human figureheads such as well-known pastors, presidents, CEOs etc. any differently than an "common" person unlike man tends to do. It may not refer to how fair He deals with everyone's sin but how He views people in thier man-made ranks and recognitions. Besides, we know that He shows mercy on whom He would.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think this is precisely what it means. I don't think it has anything to do with salvation. In fact, the scripture implies that His value system is quite opposite man's. The following scripture implies that God is a respecter of persons when it comes to who He calls, just not in the same way men are respecters of persons.

However, if you combine it with the rest of scripture, it doesn't really say God is a respecter of persons, since God is ultimately responsible for who is mighty and who is not.