1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Respecting Our Elders In Generational Conflict

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 21, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this has what to do with the thread?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of context? It's the whole foundation of the essay.

4. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just a personal observation:

churches that are fad driven and/or geared to teens, with children sent off to "junior church", tend to lose them when they graduate high school. (Just what we have seen. Your milage may vary.) I personally think they have been systematically taught adults don't matter/are a drag on church, and so when they become adults they naturally leave.

I also think that churches that reject any change out of hand just because it is change miss the boat.

But I think churches where the old folks, middle aged, and adults are what church is geared for, with the kiddoes and teens brought in to learn how to do church, and where folks prayerfully consider change keep the young adults. Just saying "no I don't like that" is not a valid reason to refuse change. However, just saying "because I like it" is not a valid reason for change.

Someone brought up music. Just accepting what is on the current ccm playlist is bad. So is rejecting all of it. Considering each song--lyrics, music, style, the whole ball of wax, and accepting or rejecting on a case by case basis is wiser in my opinion.

There might be a valid reason for one church to have a praise band. There might also be a valid reason to reject them and stick with the piano and organ.

What isn't valid is assuming "we have to do things the old fashioned way" OR "we have to do this because all the young folks want it."

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously it is not.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never once in my life seen any church that fits this description

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

we had a pastor opnce, on his last sermon it was titled, words that kill a church,, 'we've never done it that way before' and ' we've always done it that way.'

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

And I've served on a personnel committee sifting resumes. It was surprising how many both fresh out of seminary and older pastors sent them out basically saying they knew nothing of how our church did anything, but if we hired them plan to change everything.

We tossed those resumes in file 13.

If you don't know what we do, how do you know it is wrong? Or not working?

I think they assumed an empty pulpit = either a fed up pastor or an ineffective and fired one. Truth was we had an older man retiring.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is the responsibility of the older to disciple the younger not sit around and gripe, and focus on themselves.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is an example of the attitude I spoke of in the op. If we put as much energy into understanding them as we do the lost culture we may have more functional churches. But simply assuming the worst about our elders just because they oppose the current agenda is just wrong.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

THE DETERMINATION TO SERVE
    "The Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister." Matthew 20:28

Paul's idea of service is the same as Our Lord's: "I am among you as He that serveth;" "ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake." We have the idea that a man called to the ministry is called to be a different kind of being from other men. According to Jesus Christ, he is called to be the "door-mat" of other men; their spiritual leader, but never their superior. "I know how to be abased," says Paul. This is Paul's idea of service - "I will spend myself to the last ebb for you; you may give me praise or give me blame, it will make no difference." So long as there is a human being who does not know Jesus Christ, I am his debtor to serve him until he does. The mainspring of Paul's service is not love for men, but love for Jesus Christ. If we are devoted to the cause of humanity, we shall soon be crushed and broken-hearted, for we shall often meet with more ingratitude from men than we would from a dog; but if our motive is love to God, no ingratitude can hinder us from serving our fellow men.

Paul's realization of how Jesus Christ had dealt with him is the secret of his determination to serve others. "I was before a perjurer, a blasphemer, an injurious person" - no matter how men may treat me, they will never treat me with the spite and hatred with which I treated Jesus Christ. When we realize that Jesus Christ has served us to the end of our meanness, our selfishness, and sin, nothing that we meet with from others can exhaust our determination to serve men for His sake.

Source: http://www.myutmost.org/02/0223.html

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See, what'd I tell ya?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Opposing the agenda is not the subject of the op. snipping half sentences out of context only proves your inability to get it. I wrote I know what the subject of the op is. How thick can anyone be? Good grief

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think how you must, but outside the context of change, the OP is meaningless. See ya. :type:

15. CF1

CF1 New Member

I've sometimes posted long and winding Original Posts (OP's) which has left many opinions on what the OP was. I've learned to keep OP's short and sweet, or have a summary question, to keep the discussions focused. Sometimes I forget and write long and winding posts anyways. What was I thinking? The longer the OP the more chance people will not understand the focus of the OP. Just a tip for helping to create OPs. I've enjoyed this thread even though I wasn't sure exactly what the focus was. It has had a lot of good ideas.

#55 CF1, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010