1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured respector of persons?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal ; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. So the LORD said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD."[Genesis 6:1-8]

Here in this passage, it tells how God sees all His creation as being wicked, and Him ready to kill every blasted one of them. Yet, Noah found grace in His eyes. If grace is unmerited favor...and it is...then what merit did Noah have for God to choose him? None. Yet, in Vanology 060, that is not the case. There had to be something in Noah that made God choose him. That is a foreign concept to what is written, but espoused nonetheless...

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK so then even the children of God receive "special" blessings without any merit on their part (post salvation)?

What could be more special for a virgin Israelite girl than to made pregnant by the Holy Ghost with the logos, the Son of God.

Was there no other reason (in your estimation) other than His random choice among all the virgins in Israel?

Yes, I am a former Catholic, but after I was saved I was unable to pray to her even though I remained in the Catholic church for a couple of years.

I am however able to call her blessed among women although I dropped the Catholic phrase"the mother of God".

Thanks
    HankD

3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

So God will choose a person if they humble themselves, and will choose another because they are rich in faith, or if they become rich in faith? (LOL!!!) Sorry, the LOL!! just burst through. But please, do answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    '
    There is nothing in any one of us to commend ourselves to God.
    We are all unworthy and deserving of death.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your response SG.

Noah, yes its clear, he found grace in God's eyes.
    But Daniel and Mary (to be forthright) seem muddled, almost as if there was something about them which God approved.

Another is Enoch:
    Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Should we leave off trying to please God?

Thanks
    HankD

6. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

That is an impossibility, those who cannot please God are in the flesh, therefore none who are in Christ can revert to this lost state, Romans 8:8, the 'trying to please God' statement aside.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God sees us through either the first or last Adam. If He sees us through the first Adam, we're in trouble. If He sees us through the last Adam, we are blessed. Now, even under the Law...even pre-Law, I believe God saw them through Christ. "His works were finished from the creation of the world" as Acts 15:18 avers. So if His works were finished, they were accomplished from that point.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, but we still need to address these passages which give the appearance of something different, that some of His children seem to please him.

Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Please (this is to everyone) do not start accusing me of heresy (directly or indirectly). This seems to be a pattern here at BB and its not just one group vs the antitheses e.g. (C vs A) (dispensationalism vs covenant theology) on and on...

I am simply asking a question without expressing my own thoughts looking for an honest answer.

How will anyone learn anything when we start throwing each other into the Lake of Fire?

SO, did Enoch please God?

If not will someone, anyone please address this portion of scripture? he pleased God.

Thanks
    HankD

9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Men in the flesh can not please God.[Romans 8:8] That goes also for Enoch, Daniel, and Mary. So this shows they were not men(and woman) of the flesh, but of the Spirit.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank You SG!!

Many needed to hear (actually read) that.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you at least see my point(s). I am not saying you agree with it(them), but I hope you at least see where I am coming from.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do indeed.

HankD

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, page after page of folks denying scripture after scripture. God is a respecter of persons according to His value system, not the world's value system. Such an easy concept to grasp and demonstrate. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Those that deny this hold unbiblical views. God chooses people for salvation through faith in the truth, a conditional election. Those that deny this hold unbiblical views. Folks just set aside all the smoke and smears, and embrace the truth of scripture. Jacob I loved but Esau I hated. Judas was a greedy meanie, and therefore was well chosen to be the betrayer.
    Did God favor the kid with the many colored coat? I could go on and on, but it is pointless. God is a respecter of people according to His value system, not the world's.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We should seek to obey God....so we hear this;
    His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The biblical God is not .

• Like Like x 1
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see another mutilation of scripture has been suggested, Romans 8:8. What does it mean if we are "in the flesh?" Does it mean unregenerate, or does it refer to when we have set our mind of fleshly desires? Fleshly desires.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again and again they shout God does not oppose the proud and give grace to the humble. Again and again they say God does not choose people for salvation through faith in the truth. Pay no attention and just read your bible.

18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is no respector of persons and Van says He is, when Peter proclaimed otherwise...
    The bible says no one seeks God and Van says they do...
    The bible says the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit, yet Van states they can understand the sincere milk of the gospel...

Van better be the one who reads his bible...

• Like Like x 1
  19. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to hijack the thread or start a rabbit trail, but that is why those who hold to regeneration being a NT reality fall short in their understanding. The unregenerate are men of the flesh, whilst the saved are men of the Spirit, having a new birth via God's Spirit.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misdirection or misguidance?

That is not to say that God's people are perfect but every once in a while God does not complain about certain individuals like Enoch, Daniel, Nathanael, Mary...

John 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!

HankD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.