1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Response to the problem of evil

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jbh28, May 25, 2012.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thinking the same thing. :(

2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

The basic answer is that God, who is both capable and willing, has not YET put an end to all evil. You cannot prove that he will, and your friend cannot prove that he won't. So we are back to the principle of faith. In the mean time God calls all men everywhere to repent. A terrifying judgment is lurking around the corner!

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, in fact just the opposite is the case.

However, the questions asked by the friend of the OP were not asking legitimate questions but seeking excuse for a chosen lifestyle.

There is no mandate to "debate" with unbelievers but to present the gospel.

Why?

What answer could actually convince the unregenerate of the truth when the initial reason for asking the questions is not a legitimate search?

The Scriptures state,
    "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Hebrews 11:6

The Scriptures state,
    "To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good." Psalms 14:1
    "To the chief Musician upon Mahalath, Maschil, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that does good." Ps 53:1 ​

The words "There is" is added in an attempt to clarify, but the verses can read just as well with out the "There is" or with "There is" added.

The point being that the OP presented an inquisitor that has no real interest in God nor the truth, or the questions would not have even been asked.

This is not two biblical believers who legitimately engage in discussion over Scriptures, but one who to some measure has "been sprinkled" with the seed and has no root of belief.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the question was not legitimately asked, then I agree with you. It would be fruitless.

No answer can persuade one to salvation. The role of apologetics is not to talk someone into accepting Christ, but rather to provide an answer for our faith (1 Peter 3:15). Perhaps the Spirit will use an answer to remove preconceived error, or perhaps the answer will serve to put the enemies of Christ to shame (v. 16). These verses do, however, present defending the faith as more apologetics than simply presenting the gospel. It is not biblical to simply present the gospel and leave objections to the faith unaddressed.
    The reason that I say the “problem of evil” is a legitimate question is because it exists not only as an objection on behalf of the unregenerate, but also as a question among the saved. Salvation is of faith, but faith is not blind. The Bible is God’s revelation to man, and the doctrines contained therein are worthy of study and exploration. It would be an error to dismiss Scriptural doctrine simply because we want to keep things faith based and experiential.

If your presupposition is correct, and the young man who asked the question is not asking or rebelling out of conviction but is instead simply being hostile to Christianity, then it would be a fruitless debate. Of course, if he is struggling and trying to support his anti-Christian view because God is moving him to a change, then perhaps 1 Peter is not so irrelevant. Personally, I would tend to side with you – but I am also somewhat cynical in nature (something I need to work on).

#24 JonC, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an excellent perspective and has caused me to reconsider my view.

If, in fact the person is legitimately considering the merits, then a response by presenting the Gospel is appropriate.

I think that when Paul stood and attempted to persuade Agrippa it is an example that such discussion should take place when obliged by legitimacy.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, an argument meant to persued one to salvation by force, no "real" option is difficult indeed. With that, an argument centered on persuading someone that both, God is Only Good and has pre-determined every action in the world abolishes sensible and simple reasoning from the beginning. I take the argument straight into the free will/volition nature of man and attribute the cause of evil onto the creature having the ability to consciously choose and I do that through the story of creation in Genesis.

I often ask if they would have preferred the alternative…not being created, not existing in the way they were designed, with the ability from the beginning to gain knowledge and have judgment of good and evil of their own accord. From there I take it into a discussion focusing on that men were created in God’s image and likeness but all men fall short of perfection in their judgment between good and evil and this separates us from God. God had a purpose in creation that involves great sacrifice and love for His creation and His judgment will be based on “truth” and that means “real” responsibility. In grace He freely offers a way out of being held accountable for the evil they are responsible for.

As a non-determinist I cut off the P.O.E. being attributed to God at its roots. My answer for my faith is based on my love for the truth of why and how we were created by a Loving God who gave us the gift of life and the option to be with Him in eternity. I explain that man from the beginning desired to be as a god (Gen 3:22) on his own accord, but there is and can only be One God. It is pride that stops men from accepting a higher authority than themselves. Fine, little god, make your own heaven to live in for eternity; but that eternity being separated from God will be Hell, a place God “freely” allows you to choose, it is not forced upon you! His plan for allowing you to be created is perfectly righteous.