1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Resurrection

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by percho, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tried to find the phrase, the resurrection of the body, in the bible and could not find it. I only looked in the KJV.

Why could I not find what I have heard many, many times.

Also wanted to thank JesusFan for the many good threads he starts.

#1 percho, May 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2011
  2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

1 Corrinthians 15:
    42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

This is the closest I could find. Tried all the version in bible gateway and nothing on ressurection of the body.

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Or possibly like this,
    Phillipians 3:20For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

21Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Job spoke of the resurrection.

Job 19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
    26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
    27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Job said that though his body be destroyed (decomposed), yet in his flesh he would see God.

Read also Ezekiel 37:1-14 where Ezekiel saw a vision of God resurrecting bodies and says this is what he will do for his people.

#4 Winman, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In V's 42-44 What is the it?

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This should seal the deal!!!

Job 14:12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

14 If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

15 Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

Right here is talking about the "outer" man perishing in the grave. When Jesus comes, He will call my name, and if my body be in the ground, it will come out of the grave with a new spiritual body likened unto Jesus' most glorious body!!

i am I AM's!!

Willis

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor. 15:37,38 2 Cor. 5:1,2

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is this man? Who is this I? Who is this me?
    Is he speaking of the person or the body?

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Verse 44 answers your question, "it is sown a natural body" thus the physical body.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Wow I just thought about it the issue is still being debated as it was in Christ day and the 1st Century church.

The Sadducee's said there was no resurrection for the dead

The Pharisee's said there was. Wow same issue Jesus and Paul were constantly fighting this battle. Both Jesus and Paul held that the body would be resurrected.

Phillipians 3:20For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

21Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

#10 revmwc, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I hardly see how these verses support your view.

1 Cor 15:37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
    38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

Is a seed material? Does it have a physical body? Yes. Now, once a seed springs up it is not the same body, but it is still a materal, physical body.

2 Cor 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
    2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

Is a house material? Yes. This says we shall be "clothed upon with our house". We shall not be a spirit without a body, we shall have a material body.

That said, this is a spiritual body and can perform supernatural acts.

Luke 24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
    31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

Jesus had a real material body here, he took bread and broke it, and handed it to these disciples. But he could do the supernatural, he vanished out of their sight.

Jn 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
    27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

The doors were shut, so apparently Jesus simply appeared among the disciples. But he invited Thomas to touch and handle him, so he had a material body.

Luke 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
    40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
    41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
    42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
    43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Here, Jesus plainly declares he is not a spirit, asks for meat, and eats food before them.

We will have the same kind of body Jesus has when we are resurrected.

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the point of my post neither said the dead body would be resurrected, both said the dead person would be resurrected.

1 Cor. 15:35 Reads But some will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
    It does not read.
    But some will say, how are the dead bodies raised up? And with what body do the dead bodies come.

Jesus of Nazareth the Christ died.
    Jesus of Nazareth was raised.
    It is the resurrection of the dead person / personality.
    It is the people that laughed, loved, hated, worked, wept ect that died and it is them that are raised flesh and bone.

And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain,
    But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.
    For we know that if our earthly house of [this] tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
    For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

V-35 1 Cor. 15 do they come. Brings up another question. Is this speaking of coming from somewhere or coming into somewhere or both and where?

13. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An interesting detail is the fact that "bodies" (plural) is not found in the NT as far as resurrection is concerned. But you do find "body" (singular) in this connection.

14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I think verse 21 makes it very clear our vile body (physical) will be fashioned like His Glorious (ressurected) Body.

Here is how the interlinear puts it in Verse 21
    WHO SHALL-BE-after-FIGURING THE BODY OF-THE LOWNESS OF-US INTO THE TO-BE0BECOMING it conFORMED to-THE BODY OF-THE esteem OF-Him according-to THE IN-Action TO-BE-enABLED Him AND to-UNDER-SET to-Self THE ALL
    The greek word soma and somatos are used for body soma for our body somati for his and in John 2:21 where He was refering to His body it was somatos.
    Soma a body or corpse, the living bodies of both men and animals.
    The oter two were formed from the root soma and have the same meaning so Christ will change or conform our corpse to a esteemed corspse like his.

John 2:18Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21But he spake of the temple of his body.

The word in verse 21 meant His lteral body "SOMA".
    Destroy His body and it would be Raised in 3 days. This can mean nothing but a literal raising of our corspe from lowness (vile) to be esteemed (Gloriuos) body (living Body) Soamti like His.

The original Greek bares out that Paul is showing a literal ressurection of the corpse.

15. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So how many bodies would this entail?

1 Thessolians 4:15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

verse 16 the dead in Christ shall rise first. Does it need to say their bodies or is the implication strong enough. If as Paul said in 2 Corinthians 5:
    8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

When we die we are absent (soul and spirit) from the body and present with the Lord. If we are present with the Lord in death what would Paul be saying about the dead rising first? It can't be soul or spirit so what must be rising first of the dead? Could they all rise in their body from the grave, thus hundreds of thousands of bodies will rise at once when Christ returns.

16. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You miss the point. There is a reason why the Bible does not refer to resurrection bodies (plural). Instead it reminds us that we are members of one another. To emphasize "bodies" over "members" and "body" (as in the body of Christ) is to place the emphasis away from where the bible places it.

We are ultimately spiritual beings. We need to progress to a spiritual emphasis in our understanding of eternal life. And we need to always make sure - in this topic as well as all others - that our terminology always matches the Bible's. If it doesn't, then, it is an important indication that we may have gone off on an unscriptural tangent.

17. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That is why I took it back to a Greek to English translation and looked at the Greek for Body. Which proves that our bodies will be raised from corpses into ressurection bodies like Christ had.

18. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SOMA is a "literal body"? Then what about the Soma of Eph. 4:4? Is that literal and physical too? No.

19. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try this. Study out all the references to "body" (SOMA) in the NT, not neglecting to note whether the occurrences are singular or plural. Make sure of the Greek. It is an interesting and very helpful study.

20. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

In the case of Ephesians 4:4 considering the text it means a body of people closely associated into one family or social order. In the context as used in Phillipians this menaing doesn't fit. Again you must take the context of the verse to get the meaning of the word.

The word "soma" has two other meanings neither would fit this context and one might come close to Phillipians.
    The bodies of planets or of stars (heavenly bodies) in the 2nd heaven.
    That which cast a shadow as to distinguish from itself. Our physical body can cast a shadow to distinguish itself but it is still a physical body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.