1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Retirement video

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ep5gkjCLE&feature=related

This was omitted from my last attempt...view it and comment

I am not always supportive of all Of Pastor Pipers ideas, but many times he has a passion for the word of God that forces us to think more from a biblical worldview....Here is one that makes everyone examine their plans.
    Enjoy..

#1 Iconoclast, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with him. I think there's nothing better to do with your free time in your later years than to serve the Lord in whatever capacity He has called us to. From the little old lady who faithfully spent her day in prayer to the healthy older men who go on missions trips to Nicaragua and Cuba, they are still vitally working for the Lord. I want to be them when I get older.

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was glad to hear someone point this out, it's been awhile since I heard any comments along this line of thought.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know our pastor says that there is no retirement in the kingdom. Sometimes I wish he was wrong. ;) (hence me posting at 1:10 am - not being able to sleep again :( )

Josh Harris' father Gregg Harris had some great teaching on this sort of thing. It's in his Seasons of Life seminar and he basically sets forth 4 seasons of our life that are each approximately 20 years long. There is overlap with each season but the general purpose of each season is focused in that age group:

birth to 20 - the season of preparation (growing up and education)
    20-40 - the season of production (gainful employment and producing a family)
    40-60 - the season of provision (the season when our work and family are well established and now we are able to be focused much more on ministry and build into the lives of others and be in leadership roles)
    60-80 - the season of protection (this is when we become "city fathers" - those men and women who have prepared, been productive, have provided ministry and now from the vast experience we've had, we can now be "elders" to others in the other seasons of life and really mentor them and guide them in their seasons and therefore raise up future "city fathers" who have lived their lives well and can now also be elders as well. This is the time that people typically "retire" but it's now a time that we can use our time very wisely to further the kingdom in ways that we could not do before with the burden of family and employment.

It's an excellent seminar, IMO. It was actually pretty eye opening to my husband and myself in our parenting and employment at the time. :)

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That sounds thought provoking. I was discussing with my wife how this is one of those topics that does not come up quite as often as you would think it would.
    11.Proverbs 13:22
    A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.
    Proverbs 13:21-23 (in Context) Proverbs 13 (Whole Chapter)
    12.Proverbs 17:6
    Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers.
    Proverbs 17:5-7 (in Context) Proverbs 17 (Whole Chapter)
    [QUOTE. A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the

wealth of the sinner is laid, up for the just.

Here we have particular instance of the good to be repaid to the

righteous. It cannot however be meant as an universal statement.

Many good men have no inheritance to leave; or they have no children;

or none that survive them; or no children's children; or this generation

may be in poverty. The wealth of the sinner also, instead of being laid

up for the just, descends to his posterity for successive generations.

(Ps. xvii. 14.) Yet Scripture gives many examples of this dispensation

of Providence; shewing the blessing of personal godliness to unborn

posterity. Abraham left his covenanted inheritance to his children's chil-

dren.1 Caleb's children inherited their father's possession.2 "Although

David's house was not so with God" as he could have desired yet his

lamp continued to burn for upwards of seventeen generations.3 Often

also has the Divine blessing upon the discreet guidance of his affairs

(Ps. cxii. 5), and the special promise to Christian liberality (Chap. iii.

9, 10), preserved the good man's inheritance. And if there is no earthly

1 Gen. xvii. 7, 8. Ps. cxii. 2. 2 Josh. xiv. 14. 3 2 Sam. xxiii. 5. 2 Chron. xxi. 7
    ][/QUOTE] Charles Bridges on proverbs

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea but he doesn't have a problem with sabbaticals

7. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

An entire youtube video presentation....with NO SCRIPTURE!
    Now that is a waste........
    John 5:24
    “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

It’s only the preaching of God’s Word....that will change lives!

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Still learning....this portion of the video is only a portion....look on you tube for the whole thing...I am not certain but i think he is commenting from a book he wrote called don't waste your life....

ewf.... I am glad if God uses Him...I am not always certain where he stands biblically....I just thought this portion of the video was interesting..and would probably be internally resisted by many...

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree dear friend.....however I prefer Al Mohler for his consistency as both a Baptist & a theologian....just my preference though.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes....Al Moehler seems to be more consistent. I try to give as much slack as possible to those who minister the gospel in that God uses all types of instruments as means of grace....there are many today that I am personally uncomfortable with.
    In part i think I have been allowed to hear some of the best preaching on the planet by God's mercy. I try to keep in mind that not all believers are on the same page or{confession} of faith:thumbs:

Just look at some of the ideas in here...
    This is a portion of scripture to keep in mind;
    36For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

37After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

38And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

39But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Jesus had in the gospels taught similar...so we must be careful not to wind up opposing the work of God.
    Some here on the BB....oppose the truth of God , and speak against those who proclaim it. They should take heed to this principle....
    And vice-versa.....
    Many a non cal...when they hear the truth over time,then go back to their personal study...The Spirit will open these truths to them....I know of many that this happens to.

EWF.....how did that portion of the video come across to you?
    Have you thought of such things?

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is from Piper's "Bible study" on his book Don't Waste Your Life. We endured week after week of Sunday School viewing those videos. We couldn't figure out what the deal was. Often there would be multiple minutes of nothing but images flashing across the screen while this annoying "mood music" played. We thought maybe it was padding added to make the video fill out a standard Sunday School hour, or it was trying to evoke some emotion or another. We were used to solid Bible teaching, and found the presentation quite bewildering and bizarre.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jerome......Are you saying your pastor set aside bible study for this???
    what kind of images? where there more second commandment violations, then those in this short clip?

Jerome...despite the defective presentation.....what do you think of the issue being raised?

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoa nellie! Second commandment violations? Given your chosen moniker I understand that may be your hobby horse, but I was merely talking about hundreds of still photos presented staccato-style with just weird music. We were just flabbergasted, it was like a bad art house film.

And no, I couldn't stomach watching your whole clip. Too many bad memories (this happened shortly before the Reformed attempted to take over our church, unbeknownst to the congregation, the pastor was "advertising" our church on various Reformed Baptist directories on the internet. It got to the point where he was waving around some 9Marks book in the pulpit, etc.)