1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rev 2: 26-28

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by freeatlast, Jul 5, 2012.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: 27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. 28 And I will give him the morning star. 29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
    Rev 2:26-29 (KJV)

Is this saying that every saint will have some kind of individual ruling authority over their own part of the world or that the saints will rule in a corporate fashion over the whole world or something else?
    Also what is this about receiving the morning star? Is this simply picture wording speaking of salvation/Christ?

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Don't know about the morning star part of it, but I view our "ruling" activities as extending beyond the confines of this planet. Not sure how the details will work out on this.

Guess we'll all just have to wait to find out, won't we?!!?

(Just think, if my perspective is correct [here again just speculating that it is], I might one day be ruling over 'dem thar space aliens!!! :tongue3:)

3. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

This passage demands the answers certain questions.

When Christ returns, the world will be returned to a perfect creation. So, when will these things be?
    What about believers who don't keep His works till the end? Are they rulers or the ruled?
    What must be overcome? This speaks to an action on the part of the believer.
    Keep His works till the end of what?
    If this speaks of all believers ruling the nations, when would every believer of every age be assembled to rule unbelieving nations with a rod of iron?

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try as I may, I never feel very comfortable with my understanding of Revelation. It seems very slippery to me, with the meaning coming more from my assumptions rather than solid straight-up reading of the text. With that caveat, here goes:

In verse 24, the audience shifts to those who did not tolerate Jezebel, nor accept her false teachings.

So in verse 25, they are told to hold fast to what they have until Jesus comes. This appears to me to refer to the pure gospel of Christ, undefiled by teachings such as taught by Jezebel.

Verse 26 "He who overcomes (i.e. is victorious)" refers to those whose faith God credits as righteousness and spiritually places in Christ, i.e. those who are saved and dwelling in Christ spiritually. "He who keeps my deeds until the end" refers again to those saved, because those who do not keep His deeds, who go out from us, were not of us, i.e. never saved, Jesus never knew them.

"to Him I will give authority over the nations." One way to read this is you are in Christ and to Christ I will give authority over the nations. I think this is the idea, but certainly other views might be correct.

So "and He shall rule (or shepherd) them, the nations, with a rod of iron" refers again to Christ.

Next we have an illustration of authority, just as a potter can smash his created pots, demonstrating the Father's authority over creation, I (Christ) have received from the Father authority over the nations.

Last, Christ says I will give him (those victorious saved folks dwelling in Christ) the Morning Star, i.e. Christ will give Himself (the Morning Star) to those who are saved. This refers, I think, to being indwelt with the Spirit of Christ, thus we are spiritually in Christ and Christ is spiritually in us.

Lots of other ways to read it, but that is how I understand it as of now. :)

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No doubt those are difficult passages to come to grips with. In the first part something in the wording and tenses caught my attention.

"him will I give power over the nations"

"Him" is singular and "nations" is plural. I was wondering if this is simply corporate rule that the nations all will experience by the Lord through the saints rather then each saint being a ruler over their own domain.

The Morning Start, I am assuming, is the Lord Himself that He gives to His saints. I do not know if there are other passages that shed more light on this or not.

#5 freeatlast, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012