1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rev.7:1-8

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Plain Old Bill, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Just exactly what are these verses talking about.I've read several commentaries on these verses and it seems they all have an ax to grind so I get 7 different interpretations.What do you think?

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Hello Bill. You will get a bunch of different answers here too. One thing that I am sure we all agree on is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the Jehovah's Witness. [​IMG]
    Seriously, here is my take on it. I see no reason to take the passage in any way but literal: The twelve thousand from each tribe of Israel is 12,000 from each tribe of Israel. They are set apart by God Himself for a purpose, apparently to proclaim the Gospel during the tribulation period.
    One of the big toublesome points among those of the various views on eschatology is about the literal Jews, literal Israel; those descended from Jacob (Israel).
    Many look at passages like "For they are not all Israel, which are Israel." (Romans 9:6b) (Also 9:7&8) Some look at passages such a these and ignor, deny or term as allegory passages which clearly shows that "God hath not cast away His people..."(Romans 11:2) "Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee." Romans 11 goes on to say that the Jews are natural branches and we are grafted in against nature and that the blindness of Israel is only until the fulness of the gentiles be come in. Daniel 9:24 states that "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people..." Daniel lived hundreds of years before the start of the church age and, therefore, has nothing to do with the Church.
    Literal Israel still has a part in God's plan for the future. You can take your passage quite literally.

3. Plain Old Bill

One of the more interesting interpretations I have heard is that this is 144,000 Jewish virgin men set aside to preach the Gospel.They will go thriugh the tribulation preaching the Godspel and have a special annointing.Although I see hints in this direction I can't find any direct Scripture.
    You are right this has nothing to do with the JW's.

4. Plain Old Bill

I apologize for the misspellings. I should have edited the last entry.

5. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Personally I believe these 144,000 to be symbolic of the saved of the jewish nation/race, and the saved of the gentiles are presented immediately after as the "great multitude".