1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revelation 1:10 - that great and terrible Day of the Lord

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by wopik, May 26, 2006.

1. wopik

wopik New Member

Why do people assume Rev. 1:10 is speaking of Sunday ?

"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet".

No day of the week is mentioned.

Some believe this refers to Sunday, while others believe this has to do with the “Day of the Lord”.

This passage has been wrongly translated in the KJV. It should read, “I was by the Spirit in the Day of the Lord…” The Greek words used and translated “The Lord’s Day”, are the same as used in 1 Thes 5:2; 2 Thes 2:2; 2 Pet 3:10 and are properly translated the “Day of the Lord” in all of the these other passages. These Greek terms are equivalent to the Hebrew “Day of the Lord” in Isa 2:12; 13:6,9; Joel 2:11, etc. As for the preposition "on" (on the Lord's day), the Greek "en" means "in".

So this passage is NOT saying John was in the spirit on Sunday, but that he was taken by the Spirit into the future, into that great and terrible Day of the Lord.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's new to me. I've never heard it referred to as a Sunday, but that doesn't surprise me either [​IMG]

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

That's a strained interpretation at best. Revelation begins with the letters to the seven churches and John is not 'taken into the future' until chapter 4. Then he is told he is going to be shown what must come to pass, so he doesn't go into the future at any time, he is simply shown a vision of the future. But whatever. I have to wonder though, if worshipping on Sunday is anathema, why did the Lord not rise on the Sabbath?

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no command in scripture saying "Come together for worship on the day the Lord rose from the dead". So given that this is just "a man made custom" anyway - why in the world would someone think that "God should not allow the resurrection day to be some day other than His Holy memorial of creation"?

In 1Cor 11 "For as oft as you do this you do show the Lord's Death until He comes" -- sounds like a Friday evening service might suffice IF one was incline to "do this weekly" - to "weekly show the Lord's Death until He comes".

But I don't think Paul was arguing for that specifically.

In Christ,

Bob

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Your right, there is no command to do so. If you want to go to church on Saturday, I say do it. If you are going to keep the sabbath, I say you have gone back under the law, and you ought to keep it the way it was commanded in the law.

Psalms 118:22-24
    22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
    23 This is the LORD's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
    24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

6. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

My understanding of Rev. 1:10, it is not talking about Sunday or second coming either. Rev. 1:9-11 talk about the introduction of Jesus Christ appeared to John at the island of Potmas by through revelation(supernatural communication). "On the Lord's Day", it is not speak of so called, 'Day of the Lord'. Also, it says, "...and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,". This seems speak of rapture, because of its refer with 1 Cor. 15:51-54 & 1 Thess. 4:15-17 and also Rev. 4:1 too.

But, this verse does nothing with rapture or second advent either. Neither Rev. 4:1 have do with rapture.

John's point of Rev. 1:10-11 talking about the sound of Lord's voice. John doesn't take word, 'trumpet' into literal like as thing. He describe about the voice sound like as trumpet, which is Christ's voice.

Follow next verse 11 talks about introduction himself as Christ unto the seven churches of Asia(Turkey). Verse 11 does nothing with rapture or second advent. It talks about the introduction of Jesus Christ, who he is.

'On the Lord's day' of Rev. 1:10 is talk about on that day in the year of around 95 A.D., the day, the Lord appeared to John on the island of Patmos. That's how John received message from Jesus Christ by through the revelation.

'Revelation' is a supernatural communication between God and man by through visions, dreams like as what God did to Daniel, and Paul.

I hope that you understand what Rev. 1:9-11 talking about.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

7. wopik

wopik New Member

This is a bit off the topic but, was Jesus’ Crucifixion late on Friday, just before the Sabbath, or late on Wednesday, just before the annual festival Sabbath? The latter of these alternatives would give us our three days and three nights.

Stated another way, Jesus’ body went into the tomb in the last moments before the sun went down, beginning the Sabbath day.

So our question is, was this late on Friday, just before the Sabbath, or late on Wednesday, just before the festival Sabbath? The latter of these alternatives would give us our three days and three nights.

8. Mary Diana Lynn Harper

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

This is a bit off the topic but, was Jesus’ Crucifixion late on Friday, just before the Sabbath, or late on Wednesday, just before the annual festival Sabbath? The latter of these alternatives would give us our three days and three nights.

Stated another way, Jesus’ body went into the tomb in the last moments before the sun went down, beginning the Sabbath day.

So our question is, was this late on Friday, just before the Sabbath, or late on Wednesday, just before the festival Sabbath? The latter of these alternatives would give us our three days and three nights.
    </font>[/QUOTE]What's wrong with Thursday?