1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revelation 17:8

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by DesiderioDomini, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

It appears that no one in the last thread was willing to address this issue, so I am not opening this up to them. I want to open it up to the rest of the board.

Is kaiper estin a typo in the TR, or is it an authentic reading in the KJV?

What are your thoughts?

2. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is. KJB
    And yet is (kaiper estin). Read kai parestai, and shall come. Lit., shall be presentVINCENT'S WORD STUDIES - REVELATION 17 What is your point that God dosent Know greek and that you are trying to todo your best to put a Question on the translation of the Textus Receptus, Well I'm a Textus Receptus man Myself, and what in the world are you talking about are you trying to Rob my Joy as Robycop3 and TCassidy and the sundace Kid. Well I missed posting last night because they closed the thread, thank you C4 I almost broke the rules in posting. The point I would like to make is that Gnostisism,Greek and Platoism are like peas and carrots! Now Paul Knew Greek when he stood on Mars Hill and preached as they said to him "What will this Babbler say" But he didnt sway them with Big Words only Jesus Christ and Him Crucified and that folks in Any language is what is to be preached! Althogh those who Know greek, have a Puffed up Knowledgr of the word and have become unprofitable hippies to the English Speaking folk. Why dont you go to greece and witness to them maybe they will say "what will this hippie have to say"? . Why do we need to search the Scriptures if we have the received text that is By far the Best ever! Why do we need to get caought up in manipulating the Word of God thru mans teachings and not stick to tradition! I guess It is only your Stubborness that keeps you still searching for the truth! We have the Word of God Today in Almost every language but yet you are trying to Write the gospel acording to the 12 apostates!
    and try to start you own CULT: Repent and turn Back to tradition the early church fathers had the copies and were handed down from the first century all the way to 1611 and to all the World the truth hurts when it is Applied like the blood of Jesus! I'm catching on All who oppose the One Word of God Will Gang up untill some one douts they are even Saved. but all I got to do Is just remined the Devil to the place where I first received Jesus into my heart and that settles it foreever! He changed Me. I haven't been the same since. Well have a Blessed day!P.S.Don't shoot the wounded!

3. william s. correa

ooops "doubts, forever, Knowledge" I'm going to invest in a better Program that needs no typing only dictating! then you will all get a real mouthfull! Oh yeah thanks for the encouragement Standind Firm in Christ, All those lies that were Spoken of me if any of it is true I apologize to you, and have no hard feeligns toward any one here! Thanx and God Bless

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, in other words, william, you cannot answer the simple question so you try to hide behind a lot of rhetoric. Remember what Jesus said, "they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." Jesus condemns your type of activity.

5. DesiderioDomini

Would anyone else besides William care to give it a try?

Dr. Cass, I know you are not KJVO, but I would like your input on this reading. I will be honest, I am not sure what the reading should be, but I find myself unwilling to accept the KJV reading without any record it existed before 1516. I am certain you have researched this matter more than I. Do you have time to offer your thoughts? Perhaps that will spur others on to do the same.

6. william s. correa

What is your question?

7. william s. correa

Jesus did not come to this earth to condemn it but that the world might be saved.

8. standingfirminChrist

William,

Having eyes to see, they see not. I have seen your answer in the post, and yet they say you did not answer.

The reason they do not see our answers, Brother, is because the answers we give are not what they want to hear. Heaping up to themselves teachers, having itching ears?

In the last days scoffers shall come? Surely the scoffers are amongst us now.

Keep up the good work, william. May God continue to use you mightily to reveal the truth to those of us who are willing to lay down the traditions of men and study the Word to show ourselves approved unto God.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its right there in the OP, William. "Is kaiper estin a typo in the TR, or is it an authentic reading in the KJV?"

10. David J

David J New Member

Why will you guys not answer this simple question?

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did William answer the OP, "Is kaiper estin a typo in the TR, or is it an authentic reading in the KJV?" Point it out to me. I want to read it. Or, better yet, quote it.

The reason we don't see your answers is that you don't post any! So far you have not answered even one question put to you. You seem to hate the KJV when it says "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." Why do you have such a hatred for obeying the bible you claim to believe?
    Amen! Ruckman! Riplinger! Gipp! Ear ticklers! Every one of them!

Amen! You, william, and the rest of the KJVOs who blow a lot of hot air but when asked to give a simple answer to a simple question, you can't so you start calling other people names and questioning their salvation.
    Blowing hot air and refusing to give an answer is not a "good work."
    I have yet to hear one thing from either of you that is truth. In fact all you post is a bunch of nonsense. KJVO traditions.

I have been studying the word of God for longer than most of the posters here have been alive. I took my doctorate in textual criticism and manuscript evidence. Of the two of us I am the one who can defend the KJV with facts. All you ever post is lies and personal attacks. Why can't you defend what you claim? What is wrong with you that you can talk a lot but never seem to say anything? Could it be you don't have a clue what you are talking about? I think that is probably the answer. You are a fake!

12. standingfirminChrist

William answered the question as I did in the previous thread. we both answered showing that the intent of the question it to throw doubt on God's Word.

The received text is not in err.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So your "no answer" is your answer. I should have known. You just cannot answer any question you have been asked. Typical. And what is really sad is that you don't answer the questions then you lie about it and claim you did. How sad for a Christian to resort to lying to cover up his ignorance. :(

14. standingfirminChrist

seems to me Jesus answered questions with questions too. I guess you claim he is lying to cover His ignorance too?

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now you are claiming to be Jesus! Wow! Your blasphemy seems to have no end!

16. DesiderioDomini

I'm sorry guys, but this is downright HILARIOUS.

I hope the Doc is laughing as hard as I am.

Not that I am laughing at the ignorance, but what I am laughing at is the fact that while these 2 SAY they are defending the KJV, IN FACT they are casting MORE DOUBT ON IT THAN ANY OF THE REST OF US by refusing to address a very simple question.

The KJVO myth is dying by the hands of KJVO!!!!

I'll restate, on the off chance that William, standingfirm, Linda, or any of the others change their mind here: Is the reading "kaiper estin" (sorry I dont have a greek font, perhaps Doc can post that) an authentic reading as found in Revelation 17:8, or was it a typo on the part of Erasmus which found its way into the KJV?

17. DesiderioDomini

actually, very good point. Jesus did answer some questions with questions.

However, if there was someone who had a LEGIT problem with something he taught, do you think he would ignore it, or would he, out of his love, address it directly so the seeker would know?

Did those who asked Jesus HONEST questions ever walk away thinking "Man, why did he not want to answer that?"

No! He didnt just say "I am the Son of God because I am the Son of God", (The KJV is perfect because the KJV is perfect....), rather, he gave MANY UNDENIABLE PROOFS as to who he was. NO ONE HAD AN EXCUSE for not believing.

Here, we have a serious problem in your claim, and rather than address it, you ignore it. If Jesus was suspected of teaching error, would he ignore it?

I am really praying that you find the courage to be honest and address this issue. Whats the worst that can happen? You look it up, see I am wrong (which is what you claim), and everyone here sees how big of a fool I am? In the meantime, the word of God is vindicated from my idiotic rants?

Is "kaiper estin" a typo or the reading inspired by God?

18. william s. correa

Ok you loose the KJB is it

19. william s. correa

Its right there in the OP, William. "Is kaiper estin a typo in the TR, or is it an authentic reading in the KJV?" </font>[/QUOTE]It has to be the best translation from the TR to English because in that translation the other meanings just woulndnt work! in My opinion.

20. william s. correa

reading inspired by God!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.