1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Revelation 20!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, May 17, 2015.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Redemption was made at the cross.
    Christ himself will reclaim the earth with a very simple solution.

Revelation 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    --He will demonstrate his might and power over Him. Throw him in the pit and throw away the key

#61 DHK, May 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Th point is satan has been given certain authority by God, man was given dominion over the earth by God. God gave satan dominion as the prince and power of the air that is clear in scripture. God will eventually cast satan out of heaven and confine him to earth again Revelation shows. Then satan will be bound for 1000 years and in the bottomless pit so that his influence (dominion) will no longer be upon mankind and yet mankind will still rebel in the 1000 year kingdom as seen in Revelation 20.

So let's just say satan has a great influence upon mankind and what man does upon the earth. The earth is right now still under the curse and needs to be redeemed. The terms of that redemption can only be met by the Kinsman redeemer who died on the cross to redeem mankind from sin. Becoming the propitiation for all of mankinds sin.

That being so He is the only one who can fulfill the terms of redemption contained in the scroll of redemption with the seven seals seen in Revelation 5.

Then He will have a 1000 year Kingdom upon the throne in Jerusalem which has been redeemed with the earth and becomes the blessed city once again in that Kingdom.

No matter what we sidetrack with the fact of the thread is Revelation 20 and no matter how you slice it, there is a resurrection that begins the 1000 year Kingdom, which has it's capital as the blessed city, which is not New Jerusalem since it is still in Heaven. Then the 1000 years is complete satan is loosed and able to form a rebellion by mankind. They number as the sands of the sea. Then the Great White Throne occurs and all the unbelieving dead are raised to face Christ. Then sentenced to the Lake of Fire forever thus the resurrection to life with God is separate from the resurrection of the dead, unbelievers.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Ephesians 1:15-23
    15. Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
    16. Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
    17. That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
    18. The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
    19. And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
    20. Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
    21. Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
    22. And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

23.Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Surely you are not disputing what Paul says in verses 19-23.

19. And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
    20. Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
    21. Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
    22. And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Scripture doesn't contradict scripture. And none of the verses you quoted contradict anything I have already said. Nice scripture. Do you have a problem with it?

5. OldRegular

Are you saying Satan is now in heaven?

Actually I have posted Scripture several times that shows Satan is bound currently!

I thought the Great Tribulation was the redeemer of the earth.

Just where in Scripture is the scroll called the scroll of redemption!

If the earth has been redeemed why does Scripture tell us that after the Great White Judgment there will be a New Heaven and New Earth?

Just what resurrection is it that begins the 1000 year kingdom? I thought the Church was to reign with Jesus Christ during the 1000 years yet you say it is still in heaven!

6. OldRegular

I suppose next you will tell us that Adam mortgaged the earth to Satan! The Word of Faith people teach that Jesus Christ had to go to Hell to be redeemed. Do you believe that?

7. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He already did that in the "who owns the earth" thread, and then spent a lot of time back peddling away from the statement that Adam mortgaged the earth to Satan.

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I used an incorrect term last time. And I said that over there in that thread. My analytical side kicked in and gave me the word mortgage.

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No that word popped in my analytical mind last time.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Satan has never been unable to access heaven. Job 1:6-7;
    6 "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.
    7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

Job 2:1-2;

1 "Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.
    2 And the Lord said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

They came before the Lord.

Where did this take place if not in Heaven?

Then we see this

Revelation 12:7-9:
    7 "And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
    8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
    9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

This takes place at the 1/2 way point of the Tribulation. sounds like he is in Heaven till this point but able to travel to the earth and too and fro on the earth at this time.

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Must have missed them,

Romans 16:19-20;
    19 "For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
    20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."

Seems satan was battling hard against the Christians at Rome.

1 Corinthians 5:4-5;

4 "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

Here we see sovereign God will turn a believer over to satan who refuses to repent and they will die the sin unto death. The Body destroyed but the soul is eternally saved.

1 Corinthians 7:5 "Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency."

Satan can still attack believers this is clear from what Paul says.

2 Corinthians 2:10-11;

10 "To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
    11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices."

We must continue to resist falling into to sin because Paul says we are ignorant of his devices. Sounds like he has authority to attack us.

1 Thessalonians 2:18 "Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us."

Satan hindered the work of God and kept Paul from his destination.

Revelation 2:8-10:

8 "And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
    9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
    10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."

Satan attacked the believers, through the synagogue of satan. He has the power to cast believers into prison. Now he is using ISIS to kill believers.
    So where is the synagogue of satan?

Revelation 2:24 "But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden."

We are to know the depths of satan, he has authority to attack us.

Revelation 3:9-10;
    9 "Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
    10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth."

Again we see the synagogue of satan those who follow the authority of satan in religious worship will worship at Jesus' feet. But, those who are saved will be kept from the time of tribulation which is coming to those who dwell upon the earth. A great promise of the church being snatched away. Notice what it says in verse 12 "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name."

Those who He keeps from the time of tribulation will become pillars in the temple of God, this is the temple in heaven seen beginning in chapter 4 and finishing in Chapter 6. Clearly a promise to believers of this present age.

These verses make it clear satan is not currently bound.

12. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No I said that Christ was worthy as the Kinsman reedeemer because of His efficacious work on the cross to open the seven sealed scroll which contains the terms of redemption. As each seal is opened a judgment comes forth upon the earth which effects those upon the earth. Thus the earth is being redeemed by these judgment. Restored to Pre-Fall state, which we see in Isaiah 11.

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Revelation 5:1-

1 "And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.
    2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
    3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
    4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
    5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof."

Right here we see it, in Apocalyptic literature we must see the verse as those it was written would have seen it. They knew exactly what a seven sealed book meant. It was the scroll containing the terms of redemption for a property lost. Those of that time understood and didn't need it spelled out. When we look at it through their eyes it is clear. A little research on the book of redemption would make it clear to almost anyone who read this passage.
    It is right before the eyes of all to see who understand what a seven sealed scroll represented.

14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

"If the earth has been redeemed why does Scripture tell us that after the Great White Judgment there will be a New Heaven and New Earth?"

The redemption of the Tribulation is for the 1000 year Kingdom. The new heaven and new earth follow that in which all the elements as Peter says are burned up. Once God has completed His plan for man on earth, He renovates the earth and creates a new one which has no sun or moon because He will dwell with mankind and be the light.

15. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Quite clear again in scripture:

Revelation 20:4-5;
    4 "And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection."

The first resurrection is complete with the resurrection of the Tribul;ation saints who will sit upon thrones with the rest of those who were ressurected from the Church. Who are the believers of the of the Tribulation both Jew and Gentile. Who goes into the 1000 year reign well the Church who accompanied Christ is there as well as the O.T. saints and all the saints of the Tribulation, including those who made it through alive. All will live "and reigned with Christ a thousand years."

Then we see the second resurrection the resurrection of "the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished."

And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

8 "And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
    9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
    10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
    11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

The unjust appear before the Great White Throne and are sentenced to the Lake of Fire because they failed to believe on the Lord Jesus and tjheerefore their names are not written in the book of Life. Their works judged from another book proves works cannot get you a place in eternity with God. Their rejection of Christ lands them sqauare into the Lake of Fire. God's dealing with mankind complete the earth is renovated by Fire and the New Jerusalem comes down.

One more very important verse here, 1 Corinthians 6:2-3;
    2 "Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
    3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?"

We are with Christ at this point and we judge the world and angels that is the angels of satan as we stand with Christ.

16. OldRegular

I sure do. You, DHK, are contradicting Scripture!

The above clearly states about Jesus Christ, that GOD: hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church.

In case you don't like the KJV the NASB {1963} says: 19. and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might
    20. which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead, and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,
    21. far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age, but also in the one to come.
    22. And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church,
    23. which is His body, the fulness of Him who fills all in all.

You dispute that when you say:

The following Scripture shows that you are wrong: 1 John 4:4. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

So you see, DHK, you are wrong!

17. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

From the interlinear

Ephesians 1:

16 THRU because-of this also-I HEARing THE according-to faith IN THE Master Lord JESUS AND THE LOVE THE INTO ALL THE HOLY-ones saint NOT I-AM-CEASING thanking giving-thanks OVER for-the-sake-of YOU(p) ye REMINDer mention OF-YOU(p) making ON OF-THE the prayers OF-ME

16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

17 THAT THE God OF-THE Master Lord OF-US JESUS ANOINTED Christ THE FATHER OF-THE esteem glory MAY-BE-GIVING to-YOU(p) ye spirit OF-WISDOM AND FROM-COVERing revelation IN ON-KNOWledge realization OF-SAME of-him

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

18 HAVING-been-enLIGHTenED THE VIEWers eyes OF-THE THRU-MIND comprehension OF-YOU(p) INTO THE TO-PERCEIVE YOU(p) ye ANY what ? IS THE EXPECTATION OF-THE CALLing OF-SAME of-him AND ANY what ? THE RICHES OF-THE esteem glory OF-THE tenancy enjoyment-of-the-allotment SAME of-him IN among THE HOLY-ones saints.

18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

19 AND ANY what ? THE OVER-CASTING transcending GREATness OF-THE ABILITY power OF-SAME of-him INTO US THE ones-BELIEVING in-accord-with THE operation OF-THE HOLDing might OF-THE STRENGTH OF-SAME of-him.

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20 WHICH IN-ACTS he-operates IN THE ANOINTED Christ ROUSing Him OUT OF-DEAD-ones AND seats-him IN RIGHT OF-Him IN among THE ON-heavenlies celestial-ones

20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21 OVER-UP OF-EVERY ORIGINal sovereignty AND authority AND ABILITY power AND masterdom AND EVERY NAME beING-NAMED NOT ONLY IN THE eon this but AND also IN THE beING-ABOUT one-impending

Notice the word Eon = alternative spelling of aeon, an indefinite long period of time. That would be in this EON and the EON to come. More to show the dispensations that Paul taught. Thus from the straight Greek to English we see that God deals with mankind through EON's, long periods of time followed by another. That would be what we call a dispenstaion wouldn't it?

21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22 AND ALL UNDER-SETS subjects UNDER THE FEET OF-Him AND Him GIVES HEAD OVER ALL to-THE OUT-CALLED ecclesia

Here we see He UNDER-SETS subjects UNDER THE FEET OF-Him, what subjects, would you consider the unbelievers subject to Christ or in Rebellion to Him? Notice the KJV. He is the Head over the ecclesia, the Church.

22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

23 WHICH-ANY IS THE BODY OF-Him THE FILLing complement of-the-one ALL IN ALL beING-FILLED completing

23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Just as footnote here I almost always go to the interlinear for the straight out translation on the deep subjects. It is very enlightening.

#77 revmwc, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OR, While it is true that God will eventually destroy this world, until that happens satan is in charge of this world (Grk cosmos - order of government).

The same world as in 1 john 2:16

NIV 1 John 5:19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Luke 4
    5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
    6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
    7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

Now, as a summary to address this issue of the teaching of some dispensationalists such as Chafer and Scofield, etc - that the church is a parenthesis or intercalation.

A doctrine which many/most dispensationalists reject because it could be construed to make the church appear to be some kind of an after thought on God's part.

Neither of these men or modern dispensationalists (let me know if you know of one) endorse Open Theology or denies the Sovereignty of God. Therefore those terms (parenthesis or intercalation) cannot have the idea of an "afterthought" as the correct interpretation which these men have used.

It was a very poor choice of words (which I and others have admitted to over and over again) to illustrate the fact that the church was/is a "mystery" -unknown - not revealed until the age of grace. That Jews and Gentiles would be partakers together in the body of Christ, - the church - during the dispensation of grace.

To continually beat us up with this doctrine of parenthesis-intercalation which most of us reject is not fair.

We are your brethren and you/we all believe in the visible and bodily return of Jesus Christ to the earth to destroy the works of the devil.

We differ on the details.

HankD

#78 HankD, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  19. OldRegular

Where does Scripture say the scroll had the terms of redemption? Nowhere!

20. OldRegular

From revmwc

21 OVER-UP OF-EVERY ORIGINal sovereignty AND authority AND ABILITY power AND masterdom AND EVERY NAME beING-NAMED NOT ONLY IN THE eon this but AND also IN THE beING-ABOUT one-impending

The Scripture states that Jesus Christ is reigning now {this eon} and in the one to come. What is your point?