1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Review of The Voice

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Marcia, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Someone posted info here not long ago about the new Bible translation, "The Voice."

Well, here's a review of it:

Source
    http://www.extremetheology.com/2008/11/review-of-the-voice-new-testament---part-one.html

He goes through a rigorous examination of several verses in John 1 to show how "The Voice" changes or adds things to the text.

You people who know Greek will appreciate it even more as he goes into the Greek text.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

awww, that's one sad review . . .

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, but I wonder how many people care?

I think people in the church today are very unaware of and indifferent to the attack on sound doctrine.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Probably not many do care. And because the don't care, they won't recognize the unsound doctrine. And they won't recognize it because one has to understand doctrine to know when it's unsound. That is what I am finding woefully lacking in discussions at school and at church.

Generally speaking -

We no longer memorize Scripture or understand it's historic context.
    We pull verses out of context.
    We discuss how we feel about Scripture more than we care/understand what it factually says.

We seem to be pretty good about caring for each other to an extent and that's a good thing, but I'm not sure we are doing it for biblical reasons. It seems more social in nature.

All of these are merely my observations from discussion with people hunting books in the media center and my Bible students.

I guess I'm saying that I don't think average church goers are good enough of a Bible students to recognize poor doctrine (or when a movement has moved to cult status).

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll like to know who those scholars, writers, pastor, etc, are.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hello, TCGreek,

Which "scholars, writers, pastors, etc." are you referring to?

Did you read the review?

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The previous thread on "The Voice" had an excerpt from John 1. In verse 11, they have the term "inner calling." Several who commented said that this whole passge was very mystical.

Here is verse 11 as translated by "The Voice:"
    "Though the Voice utters only truth, His own people, who have heard the Voice before, rebuff this inner calling and refuse to listen."

Here is the reviewer's take on verse 11:
    I'm going out of town Saturday for a week and will not be on the BB while I'm gone. I'll try to check back here Friday.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I first heard about this "bible" here and when DH went to Barnes and Noble one night, we saw it and I quickly looked through it. Honestly, just in picking it up, I felt like I was doing something wrong - and I didn't even know much about it. The whole time I was holding it, I felt weird. I honestly told my hubby that it felt evil. I've had that happen a few times before - **SHUDDER**

Thanks for the link to the review. I'm going to bookmark it and read through it tonight after our Thanksgiving when I have more time. :) I'm also going to send it to DH and to our pastor probably so they have the info too.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

:thumbs:

Happy Thanksgiving, Annsni! :wavey:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You too Marcia! :wavey:

Dinner is done, dishes are done and the carcass is in the pot making a nice stock for Sunday's soup (Williamsburg Turkey Soup - an AMAZING creamy turkey soup). I'm so tired and am ready for bed but it's only 5PM! LOL

I'm going to run to the drug store for some medication then come back to have a cup of tea then read the article. I think that will help to counteract the feelings I'm going to have reading it. LOL

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Marcia,

I didn't see any names. McLaren seems to be just endorsing.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Okay, I just wondered who you were referring to when you said "scholars." It wasn't clear.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, annsni!

Did you get to read the review?

Btw, I'm going out of town tomorrow for a week, and will not have my computer. So see you on the BB sometime after Dec. 6! :wavey:

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I did Marcia. It's amazing that anyone can think that this is a good thing. I've subscribed to get the continuing review because he sounds like he's got some good info there. :)

Have a great time out of town, whatever you do!

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks! Maybe I'll subscribe, too.

Some friends gave me a week in Williamsburg at a sort of vacation place there as a gift. So I'm going to get away from work; that means no computer.

16. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

If the individual books as sold by Thomas Nelson are an accurate indication of the primary authors, then we know who worked directly on the Gospels and some other book in the The Voice New Testament (in order of publication)--

The Dust Off Their Feet: Lessons from the First Church (Book of Acts, Sept. 2006) - Chris Seay & Brian D. McLaren (commentay and articles by 9 scholars & pastors)

The Voice of Matthew (Jan. 2007) - Lauren Winner

The Voice of Luke: Not Even Sandals (June 2007) - Brian D. McLaren

The Voice Revealed (John's Gospel, Fall 2007) - Chris Seay

The Voice of Hebrews: The Mystery of Melchizedek (Feb. 2008) - Greg Garrett & David Capes

The Voice of Mark: Let Them Listen (March 2008) - Greg Garrett & Matthew Paul Turner

The Voice of Romans: The Gospel According to Paul (Fall 2008) - Chris Seay, David Capes & Kelly Hall​

17. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

It seems that the reviewer's primary criticism of The Voice is found in this statement from the website --
    The Voice claims that it is "based on the earliest and best manuscripts from the original languages." However, it employs the use of italicized words that the translators admit are not in the original text. They claim that those italicised "words or sentences may contain information that would have been obvious to those originally addressed in the Gospel or letter and are meant to help the reader better understand the text without having to stop and read footnotes." It is primarily through this device that The Voice smuggles false doctrine and teaching into the Biblical text.​
    But it seems the reviewer didn't notice the key word "may"; that is, not ALL the italicized words in The Voice text represent thoughts that were "obvious to those originally addressed". Some italicized words might reflect that concept, others might not. But notice that the reviewer nearly demands that every italicized word be held to the 'understood-by-the-original-audience' standard --
    ... Neither words are supported nor implied in the original text which leads me to ask, by what objective criteria did the translators of The Voice use to determine that these words "would have been obvious to the original readers of this Gospel?" (in referring to Verse 10)

... Again they've added these words in italics but I can see no reason why we should think that the original audience would have assumed these thoughts... (in referring to Verse 11)​

Specifically, the reviewer begins by objecting to two phrases in verse 10. The first one is "He does not call out from a distant place but draws near" (this is not found in the Greek). However, I took it as a transition from the end of verse 9 which claims that the true Light "was coming into the cosmos"; this is commentary that solidifies the concept that God was leaving Heaven in order to communicate 'up-close-and-personal' with humanity. The second phrase is "and speaks clearly" (again, these words are not supported by any underlying Greek text). But is this a doctrine or teaching that runs counter with truth or Scripture? This brings us the reviewer's comments on verse 11 (as in OP).

The reviewer complains about two more italicized phrases. The first one is "Though the Voice utters only truth." Although not supported by the Greek, is that a false statement? The second phrase is "who have heard the Voice before" which seems to indicate that the "the Voice" (Jesus) had come to the "His own people" (the Jews, who had literally heard God's voice before) and they had rejected the Messiah. The reviewer now says that --
    ...What is even more troubling is that the translators have Jesus speaking to us through an ‘inner calling’. This is neither supported nor implied by the Greek text yet they do not have the words 'inner calling' italicized...​
    The objection may center on the treatment of the Greek word παρέλαβον (a form of paralambano, Strong's #3880) which is translated as "received" in the KJV. The term can mean to receive something transmitted. The Jewish leadership rejected Jesus' message both outwardly and inwardly (spiritually). Does the Savior reach our 'heart' (soul): externally or internally? Did Fanny Crosby mean that we should audibly hear that "Jesus is calling, is tenderly calling today"?

I am not endorsing The Voice; it is a very loose translation (perhaps even a paraphrase, depending upon how you define it). However, I am not convinced by the first portion of this particular review that there are "false doctrine and teaching" in The Voice (even though I suspect that there may be). There is more to the review which I may examine later here.

#17 franklinmonroe, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008