1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Revised Thoughts On The HCSB

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Colossians 1:12

NIV,NET, ESV : who has qualified you
    NASB : who has qualified us
    Darby, Weymouth,WEB : made us fit
    NLT, ISV, HCSB : who has enabled you
    [The Father has indeed qualified his own to share in the inheritance of the saints. The use of "enabled" is weak. "Made us fit" is also good.]

2 Peter 3:15

NIV : our Lord's patience means salvation
    ESV : count the patience of our Lord as salvation
    NET, NASB : regard the patience of our Lord as salvation
    GWT,HCSB : regard the patience of our Lord as an opportunity for salvation
    [ The rendering by GWT and HCSB is lame and very Arminian. Both translations deserve demerits for that poor reading.]

#61 Rippon, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every once is a while, a verse or passage is mention that should at least be discussed if not understood. Lets look at Colossians 1:12.
    In post 61, the observation was that G2427, hikanoō should not be translated as "enabled." But the Greek word does indeed mean to make fit, or equip, and therefore "enable" is consistent with the meaning of the word.

But lets look at the verse a little more, why are we giving thanks to the Father? Did the Father equip us so we qualified to share, or did He qualify us for a share or portion of the inheritance? He qualified us for a share. And how did He do that? He transferred us into the kingdom of His beloved Son.

Putting it all together, the verse could be rendered this way: Giving thanks to the Father who qualified us for a share of the saints inheritance in the Light. (The Light referring to Jesus.)

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turning to 2 Peter 3:15, the HCSB rendering is spot on. Because of the delay in the second coming of Jesus, that patience of our Master provides an opportunity for salvation of the lost.

NLT = And remember, our Lord's patience gives people time to be saved.
    HCSB = regard the patience of our Lord as an opportunity for salvation
    ISV = Think of our Lord's patience as facilitating salvation
    GWT = Think of our Lord's patience as an opportunity [for us] to be saved.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If "enables" is so apt, then why didn't you use it in your own creative reworking below? Apparently qualified is dandy enough for your re-rendering of the verse.
    "...to share in the inheritance of his saints in the kingdom of light" is much better than your tampering of the text.

And don't you know when you need an apostrophe? In your cumbersome rewording the word "saints" should be saints'.

Your rewrite is in error when you say :"... inheritance in the light." It still needs to be in the kingdom of light, as just about every single translation has it. You need to leave well enough alone.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got to love them folks.
    Enabled is apt. Thus the fault finding is bogus.
    Does just about every translation have "in the kingdom of light?" I found only one version, out of more than a dozen that said kingdom. Mr. Rippon's claim is total twaddle.
    Did I put light as Light? Yes. Did Mr. Rippon present my view correctly? Nope. How many versions capitalize Light? I found two (NASB and Weymouth)
    So "Giving thanks to the Father who enabled us for a share of the saint's inheritance in the Light." actually reflects better the message. How did He do this? He transferred us into the kingdom of His beloved Son! (See Colossians 1:13)

#65 Van, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Van has pointed out below, I was in error about that. The NIV reading does indeed stand alone. I should have checked it out before saying that.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The capitalization of the letter "l" has never been an issue.
    Whew! Your English stands in dire need of repair. It is not speaking of one saint --"saint's. It is speaking of the sharing of the saints' inheritance. As Lynne Truss says on page 41 of her wonderful book Eats, Shoots & Leaves : "But when the possessor is a regular plural, the apostrophe follows the 's'." (p.41)

If you are all fired up to use "enabled" here, (when you were content to use "qualified" earlier) you must use it correctly. "Who enabled us for a share" is horrible English. You could have managed to say "who enabled us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light." But no, that would have been too straightforward and grammatically acceptable. How about this? "Who enabled us to partake of the inheritance of the saints in light."
    Yoda you are.

#67 Rippon, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic post, seeking to discuss any topic but Colossians 1:12. Is this the tommyrot up with I must put?

This person is presents falsehoods consistently wants to find fault with my expression. Anytime someone addresses how something is said, rather than what is said, they are being disingenuous.

Let me try a third time, Giving thanks to the Father who enabled us for a share of the saints' inheritance in the Light, is a better translation than many others.

Apparently Mr. Rippon is unable to grasp the difference between being enabled to share and being enabled for a share or portion. :)

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can my post have been off-topic when I was discussing Col. 1:12? I was the one to first bring up that passage in post 61. And I made three other posts regarding it.

Besides, this thread of mine has been discussing many passages from the HCSB --not just a single verse.
    "This person is presents" what? Your English is mangled. But what falsehoods have I consistently presented? You easily revert to childishness when your pet renderings are questioned.
    The way you have said things is indeed what you have said! You make no sense.
    I hate to break it to you, but you are the only one who believes that. You have no fans. Your "folks" have not come out of the woodwork praising you for your novel interpretations.

Your unique reworking still demonstrates poor English. The third time is not the charm in your case.

It makes as much sense as when you made the declaration:"The English idiom to pull off a target escapes some, but others have actually pulled of [sic] a target." (10/1/2014)