1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revival Of An Old Spurgeon Quote

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh , but some may say is it not written that " He gives to every man a measure of grace to profit withal ?" If you like to repeat that wonderful quotation so often hurled at my head , you are very welcome , for it is no quotation from Scripture , unless it be an Arminian edition . The only passage at all like it refers to the spiritual gifts of the saints and the saints only . But I say , granted your supposition , that measure of grace is given to every man to profit withal , yet He hath given to some a measure of particular grace to make that profit . For what do you mean by grace , which I put out , to profit ? I can understand a man's improvement in the use of grease , but grace improved and made use of by the power of man I cannot understand . Grace is not a thing which I use ; grace is something which uses me . ( Divine Sovereignty sermon 5/4/1856 )

#1 Rippon, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My Bible says that God has given to each one a measure of FAITH, not grace.
    Romans 12:3

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You probably already know this, but it refers only to members of the Body of Christ. In context:

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean that the King James is wrong?.
    Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
    MB

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

No. The King James is exactly right, qualifying every man in the same way that the version quoted does: "Every man who is among you. . ." and, if you go to the next verse, "For as we have many members in one body. . ." or onto verse six, where you'll find that every man has "gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, [let us prophesy] according to the proportion of faith. . ."

Every man means what it means in context, and in this context, it is every man of a certain group. In context, this is talking about the faith given to members of the body by which they exercise their spiritual gifts.

#5 russell55, Jan 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2007
  6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It is not what I consider to be one of his best quotes.

But, his average are better than most people's best.

And, I think he would have agreed - his quotes were not Bible substitutes.

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Russel;
    I agree to the context of scripture.This faith given us it is what saves us.
    Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
    It's the subject I was referring to.

This isn't written in scripture.
    We are saved by grace through the faith of Jesus Christ. Not our own faith as many think. Man of course has and can have faith in Christ but, it won't save him. We aren't saved by our faith but the faith Jesus gives us. If we were saved by our faith this would mean man is saved by his own righteousness and that's impossible.
    MB