1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revivals

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, May 19, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think opinions about this topic are diverse here among the members . I will start out with an Arthur Walkington Pink quote extracted from a larger work in 1952 ( the year of his death ) .

It is the studied judgment of this writer , and he is by no means alone therein , that doctrinal preaching is the most pressing need of the churches today . During the past fifty years a lot has been said about , and much prayer has been made for a God-sent revival , but it is to be feared that that term is often used very loosely and unintelligently . Unless we are mistaken , if the question were put , A 'revival' of what ? a considerable variety of answers would be given . Personally , we would say a revival of old-fashioned piety , of practical godliness , of fuller conformity to the holy image of Christ . The 'revival' we need is a deliverance from that spiritual apathy and laxity which now characterizes the average Christian , a return to self-denial and closer walking with God , a quickening of our graces , and the becoming more fruitful in the bringing forth of good works . Whether or not Scripture predicts such a revival we know not . Two things we are sure of : that whatever the future may hold for this world , God will maintain a testimony unto himself ( Psa.145:4 ; Matt.28:20) and preserve a godly seed on earth , until the end of human history ( Psa.72:5; Isa.27:3 ; Matt.16:18 ) . Second , that there must be a return to doctrinal preaching before there will be any improvement in practice .

2. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

amen and amen

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm looking forward to the day when God sovereignly pours out his Spirit on congregations so we want have to schedule it any more.

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

But what if I'm away on vacation that week?

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Gee, Pipedude, if you miss the scheduled spring outpouring, you'll just have to wait until the scheduled fall outpouring. Or else postpone your vacation. These outpourings only come twice a year for four days, you know.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I always did wonder why the Lord didnt like the summer and fall.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is written, "Then the Lord appeared to Solomon at night and said to him, "I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of sacrifice. "If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land. "Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to the prayer offered in this place.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

gb, I agree that revival can be prayed down, but rarely can it be worked up. But more accurately, when people are burdened for the lost and the sins of the people, and are moved to pray and seek God's face, then it is likely that revival has already begun.

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It is written, "Then the Lord appeared to Solomon at night and said to him, "I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of sacrifice. "If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land. "Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to the prayer offered in this place. </font>[/QUOTE]I have never liked this verse as a proof text that we can pray down a revival. The healing of the land has to do with the restorment of good crops not that of restored hearts, in addition it is addressing Isreal not the church.

I certainly think it is good to pray for revival, but I do believe we cannot make it happen, and simply having an evangelist in for a week of meetings is no revival. True revival is God sent, and happens when He chooses to send it, not when we "manipulate" it from Him.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think for a moment that the issue is ever about praying for a revival but about being right before God. I believe that when the Christians who are born again begin acting like they are truly born again then we will see people reached and discipled. I cannot tell you how many pastors who have asked me what I did to change the churches I pastored. When I told them I knocked on 75 to 200 dooors each month the majority told me they could not get their congregations to do that. I told them that the kind of churches which will not do God's work does not need a pastor.

Today there is an increased interest in students going to seminary but a decreased interest in pastoring. I see that as God's hand to reach people.

Within six months after leaving the pastorate I no longer had to deal with those who would drag you down and were only interested in a church building and church politics. Right away I prayed that God would give me one person to disciple. Within six months I started meeting with 20 young people who were going to church on Sundays but were doing nothing. Two years later everyone of them were reproducers making disciples.

11. Mary Diana Lynn Harper

Revival

I would like to say this about revivals, I have never been to a revival, I would once in my life like to attend an old fashion revival where the Spirit of God is present and moving among the people because the message is about God. Myself, I think I would personally have a Spiritual Release and Praise and Worship God in a beautiful way. I believe it would uplift the Spirit of God to move within the revival and bring new meaning of revival to Gods people. AMEN:praise: :praise: :praise: :praise: