1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rewards

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Moriah, Apr 6, 2012.

1. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

Other translations say "the reward OF the inheritance. It appears that whatever one thinks they are they are two separate things. There is the inheritance. There is the reward of the inheritance.

2. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Moderator? Anywhere? No? Didn’t think so.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

This scripture, Mathew 25:34 says the INHERITANCE is the KINGDOM. So, for those who say the inheritance and rewards are different, please explain how there could be a reward besides the kingdom.

Matthew 25:34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

There are some translations that say, “a reward in the inheritance,” but all the translations say “inherit eternal life” as in Matthew 19:29 and Luke 10:25.

Matthew 19:29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Luke 10:25[ The Parable of the Good Samaritan ] On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

If eternal life is not the reward, then will these people in Matthew 6:1 still get to go to heaven? ---

Matthew 6:1
    [ Giving to the Needy ] “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

How about the people in this scripture Matthew 6:5 Jesus was talking about…if they received their reward is full, is there other rewards they still might get for other things they do? ----

Matthew 6:5
    [ Prayer ] “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

This next scripture Jesus says his reward is with him. Why do you think it is singular “reward” and not plural “rewards” since people here are claiming we get reward(S)? ---

Revelation 22:12
    [ Epilogue: Invitation and Warning ] “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.

For anyone who wants to say the reward is not eternal life, please tell me what kinds of reward(s) there will be. Please use scripture to tell me what kinds of rewards there will be. In addition, tell me why you do not believe the scriptures that say eternal life is an inheritance, or do you believe eternal life is a reward but only one of the rewards?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Corinthians 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
    --An incorruptible crown.

Philippians 4:1 Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.
    --The crown of souls won to Christ.

1 Thessalonians 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
    --A crown of rejoicing.

2 Timothy 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
    --A crown of righteousness--for those who love his appearing.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
    --The crown of life--to those who love him.

1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
    --The crown of glory--for pastors.

Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
    --Crown of life--faithfulness out of love.

Each one of these are rewards. All of these crowns are the various rewards that are given to us in heaven. We are pictured in heaven as casting our crowns before the feet of Jesus.

5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Where do you get the crown is not eternal life? In these next two scriptures, one can see that the crown is called a crown of righteousness, in the other scripture, the crown is called the crown of life. Is this not the same crown meaning eternal life? If not, then you are saying there are more than one crown we all receive. Why would the saved get one crown for righteousness and another for life? Only the righteous have life.

2 Timothy 4:8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
    James 1:12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
    So, are you saying the crown of souls is an actual crown?
    Are you saying there is a special crown for rejoicing, or is rejoicing a crown?
    Therefore, you are saying that one person can receive many crowns is that correct? Could you tell me what scripture says one person will receive more than one crown? Jesus does not say we have crown(s), but instead Jesus says “crown.” Revelation 3:11I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.
    I also would like to know if one scripture says crowns are the rewards.
    Do not the scriptures that say the crown of life prove to you that the crown is about receiving eternal life? See these scriptures. Does that not prove to you that the reward is eternal life?

James 1:12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
    Revelation 2:10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

#105 Moriah, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death; but the act of favour of God, eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Eternal life is a gift, not a reward. It can never be worked for. It is a gift, only to be received.

The crowns are rewards, those things that we are rewarded for, for the service that we have done on this earth. They have different names for the different services performed. In fact one of those rewards can only be attained by pastors. Thus they are not all the same. Not one of them refers to eternal life. Eternal life is not a reward; it is a gift.

Revelation 4:4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.
    --Each one had more than one crown.

Revelation 4:10 the twenty-four elders shall fall before him that sits upon the throne, and do homage to him that lives to the ages of ages; and shall cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
    --Look what they did with their crowns.

#106 DHK, Apr 9, 2012
  7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You say the rewards are crowns, so then what is the crown of life? See James 1:12. How can one receive the crown of life but not eternal life?
    Read this scripture. Matthew 6:1[ Giving to the Needy ] “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
    Now tell me, if someone practices their righteousness in front of others to be seen, Jesus say they will have NO REWARD from their Father in heaven, will not they still get the crown reward of life? Jesus says no reward, but you say they can still get a crown of life reward.
    I do not agree with you, for the scripture says a crown of life. How does one get eternal life without a crown of life? I want this answered by you. Please convince me if what you say is true.

Colossians 3:24 says, “since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

That is in the NIV translation. Please explain the NIV translation what the reward is.

Here is the KJV of Colossians 3:24, “Knowing that of the Lord you shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for you serve the Lord Christ.”

Explain to me the KJV, since another poster seems to think it does not mean the same as the NIV translation.

In addition, I really want you to explain to me what the inheritance is. Please make it plain and simple, say, “The inheritance is ___.” Give scripture.

#107 Moriah, Apr 9, 2012
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It doesn't say the crown of eternal life. The Bible doesn't say everything. It could refer to the quality of life. For example:

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we children of God, and what we shall be has not yet been manifested; we know that if it is manifested we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
    --Again the Bible does not give us all the details of heaven.
    An unrighteous person can pretend to practice righteous all he wants, but that is not the righteousness Jesus will accept. Jesus never accepted the righteousness of the Pharisees. They were just filthy rags.
    Also righteousness practiced by believers in front of others is simply "right acts" practiced in front of others. In other words it is doing the right thing with the wrong attitude--acting like a Pharisee who loves to be seen of others.
    The gift of God is eternal life. A gift is not a reward. Eternal life is not a reward. A reward is earned; eternal life cannot be earned. The crown of life is not the crown of eternal life for that is not what it says. Eternal life is not earned. That is a heresy.
    The NIV, IMO, is one of the poorest translations around. Nevertheless, even in that translation it connects "inheritance" to "service." That is so easy to see. Our inheritance has directly to do with our reward, what we lay up for ourselves in heaven. It is not eternal life.
    It connects reward to inheritance. Our inheritance is what we lay up for Christ in our service.
    Our inheritance is what we lay up for ourselves as we labor for Christ.
    Don't lay up your treasure on earth where moth and rust corrupts, but lay up your treasure where moth and rust cannot corrupt, and thieves cannot break in.

9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The Bible says the crown of life. Of course, it is eternal life.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

Revelation 2:10
    Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

10. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

Is it also possible Moriah that there are some rewards that are separate from eternal life and the kingdom. There is also the possibility that some may say that you should be as literal with the whole verse (Matt.25:34) as you are with the beginning part, that being "prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Both sound like a victor's crown or a crown that overcomes trials and tribulation. That is the context.
    I gave you seven references to crowns. They are not all the same. Only two of them are of the same name. What about all the others? Eternal life is a gift, not a reward. Eternal life is to be received freely never to be rewarded or worked for. If this is what you think then you have a religion of works just like Hinduism or Islam.

12. Moriah

Moriah New Member

That is not answering my question. Please answer my question. Here is the question again.

Read this scripture. Matthew 6:1[ Giving to the Needy ] “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Now tell me, if someone practices their righteousness in front of others to be seen, Jesus say they will have NO REWARD from their Father in heaven, will not they still get the crown reward of life? Jesus says no reward, but you say they can still get a crown of life reward.

Jesus is talking to all, even believers.

Gift and reward are synonyms.

You might be teaching heresy. The life you are saying that the crown of life is not eternal life! Therefore, you are saying the crown of life is for a temporary life. What kind of crown is that? Do we not all already have that? lol

You would be wrong about that, and that is my opinion.

You are wrong. The Bible says the inheritance is eternal life.
    Jesus says inherit eternal life. Are you going to keep going against Jesus’ words?

Matthew 19:29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

You have said that we work for rewards, and now you say our inheritance is what we lay up for Christ, so now, you are saying that we work for our work is that correct?

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

What do you think God prepared for true believers from the foundation of the world, could it be...eternal life? Of course, it is eternal life.

14. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

Some Calvinists would view this post as you agreeing with them . For true believers eternal life was prepared from the foundation of the world, as in predestination. I was wondering what your response to my question:
    Is it also possible Moriah that there are some rewards that are separate from eternal life and the kingdom.

15. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

Moriah, Aside from wanting to be accurate in understanding the Scriptures(which is important) is there any other reason to believe the view that inheritance is our reward?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

At least use a good translation and then you can figure out the meaning.

Matthew 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
    --It has nothing to do with righteousness, but rather giving alms, giving to the poor.
    --Read the entire chapter and you will learn more. Learn the context.
    No they are not. A gift is free. A reward is earned.
    You can believe what you want Moriah. You can even add to the Word of God words where there aren't any. Adding to the Word of God isn't wise. It does not say eternal, but you want to add that word. To definitely say what it means for sure we don't know, but it seems to be related to tribulations and trials. You think you can be 100% right on everything. Are you God? Do you know everything? Can you just admit that there are some things in the Bible the Lord has not revealed to us?

Teaching that eternal life comes to us as a reward is heresy. It is a works based salvation. Eternal life is a gift. Check Romans 6:23. "It is the gift of God."
    No, it does not say that.
    This verse is pre-cross and Jesus is speaking of discipleship. If you want to take it literally then sell all that you have, give to the poor, take up your cross, and follow Jesus to the ends of the world, and then you will "inherit" eternal life. But first do the aforementioned.

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
    If you are going to have eternal life this is what you must do.
    And this is the context of Mat.19:29. Are you willing to do this?
    A person works for their reward. They are rewarded for their work. Do you work for nothing?
    I have children that work in various fields. They are rewarded at the end of the month with their pay. That is what they worked for. It is their reward for working.
    Our inheritance is the reward that we have gained by our service while on earth.
    A gift is not a reward. Eternal life is not our inheritance because eternal life is a gift.
    No, the Scriptures don't teach that.
    Jesus can only build a mansion with the material that we give him? If you don't get busy, you will end up with a shack and not a mansion. Now does it make sense to you?
    And have you done that? What third world nations that have never heard the gospel have you been to? Did you sell everything you had to get there and then invest it in getting the gospel to them.
    Take the example C.T. Studd:
    http://www.wholesomewords.org/missions/biostudd.html

Have you done that?
    And are you doing this.
    If we go by your theology you have a lot to do before you will ever get to heaven!!

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Ha ha ha Even the New American Standard Bible says “righteousness,” and I know you have used that translation before. I did use a good translation, and I used many different good ones.
    Good deeds, and righteousness are what alms giving is.
    If you really believe, I have not read the whole chapter than you are worse off than I thought.
    You are the one who adds to the word of God! Tell me, where does the Bible say we get reward(S)? Did you add that DHK? Tell me, where does the Bible say crowns are rewards? Can you show me what scripture says that, or did you add that? Be careful how you judge, it is probably the very thing you are guilty of.
    Yes, it does say eternal. Here are the scriptures again.

Luke 10:25[ The Parable of the Good Samaritan ] On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

Does this attack on me mean you are conceding that you do not know and that you are wrong? That will be the first time I heard you say that then. So, you think you are 100% right on everything? Do you think you are God? Do you know everything?

We are discussing things in the Bible. You are just adding words and denying what Jesus does tell us.
    You preaching and teaching that we do not have to do anything is worse than heresy.
    Therefore, you are saying the inheritance is not eternal life. lol
    I am a bondservant. I do not work for wages, but my Father gives me His kingdom, because I obey Him, those who obey Him are those who love Him. Go read what God does to his servants who do wrong.
    The inheritance is eternal life…that is what Jesus says.
    Jesus says inherit eternal life…it is an inheritance.
    Galatians says the inheritance is the kingdom of God. Are you still going to say the inheritance is not eternal life?
    Galatians 5:21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
    Read this next scripture, this scripture says the inheritance is the kingdom. So, are you still going to say that the inheritance it not eternal life?
    Matthew 25:34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.
    Here is another scripture that says the inheritance is the kingdom of God.
    1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
    Another scripture that says the inheritance is the kingdom of God. Is that not eternal life?
    1 Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
    I gave you many scriptures that say the inheritance is eternal life, and the kingdom of God.
    I do not believe you have had the eyes of your heart opened.

18. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Not like how the Calvinists believe, for the plan for salvation was predestined before the creation of the world, and of course, God knows who would accept.
    I have searched the scriptures and do not see any reward besides eternal life in the kingdom of God. What more would one want?

19. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Oh yes, there could be the kingdom of heaven within you if you do what Jesus says. You will be a new creation. Jesus will reveal himself to you. I can give you scriptures for all that I just said.

Read what happens to the servant who was not doing what the Master said to do.

Matthew 24:43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into.44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

45“Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions.48But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

You probably have read where DHK and others on the board have said sinning does not affect our salvation (OSAS), but you have read Matthew 24 for yourself, does it sound like it does not matter if we sin or not?

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From dictionary.com:

gift: something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.

synonyms: donation, contribution, offering, benefaction, endowment, bounty, boon, largess, alms, gratuity, tip, premium, allowance, subsidy, bequest, legacy, inheritance, dowry.

reward: something given or received in return or recompense for service, merit, hardship, etc.

synonyms: desert, pay, remuneration; requital; bounty, premium, bonus.

I don't see them as synonyms at all.