1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren/40 Days of Purpose

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Scarlett O., Oct 13, 2002.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church is going through the 40 days of purpose with Rick Warren's church. We started yesterday (Saturday) with a simulcast being viewed by churches from all 50 states and several foreign countries.

I can only say this. In all of my 41 years of listening to pastors and teachers, I have never been so moved or enlightened as to God's truth as I was yesterday.

I have read below of some people's criticism of Rick Warren. He is painted as a false prophet at best and as unGodly at the worst. I'm stunned!

We watched him for 2 solid hours, live! And here is my rebuttal to those who find him offensive.

</font>
    • He backed up every word that came out of his mouth with scripture. And not just "willy-nilly" taking things out of context as some do. He used the Bible with clarity and solidity.</font>
    • There were four songs and not one single one of them was "worldly" or "rock and roll". The songs were a blessing to me personally and the people singing were singing from the heart and not for attention as some do.</font>
    • He made the idea of God's purpose for our lives very simple and plain. His main thrust was that life is all about God. It's not about us. Ever.</font>
    God has a purpose for mankind as a whole and as individuals.
    And he's not talking about your choice of a mate or career or where you live.

There are probably a handful of choices for each of those things that would have allowed for you to live a happy little life.

He is talking about why did God make us? He has five things that he expounded on quite beautifully.

</font>
    • worship - do we please God?</font>
    • fellowship - which has nothing to do with doughnuts and coffee!</font>
    • ministry - every has a ministry of some sort</font>
    • discipleship - our whole goal is to be more like Christ</font>
    • evangelism - we have to tell the world about Jesus</font>
    I was excited by his teaching. I was convicted by his teaching. And I look forward to the next 40 days of my church actively seeking God corporately and finding what he wants us to be about.
    And I hope. No, I know that after 40 days that I, personally, will never be the same. And not because of Rick Warren. But because of God who just happened to use Rick Warren to get His plans across to millions of people at once.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

You go, girl!! I was just as aggravated as you were by some of the posts about Warren. I've heard him back up his ideas with Scripture as well. But you know, we've never done it that way before!!!:)so it must be heresy. Have a great day!
    TaterTot

3. g_1933

g_1933 New Member

lol

4. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

You must not have read all the posts. Some of us agree with Warren's philosophy of ministry and support and defend him [​IMG]

I hope the 40 days is a productive time for you and your church as you learn to focus on the purposes!

5. lizajane

lizajane New Member

We are starting the 40 Days of Purpose this coming Saturday. I am really excited about it. It was good to read your post!

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Ditto here. The music is wide open party time. Especially "We All Need."