1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren and Barack Obama

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Nov 22, 2006.

1. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I know very little about Rick Warren other than he is new age and a lot of people look up to him because of his best selling book " Purpose Driven Life". So I can't really praise or criticize him , but I noticed that World Net Daily had an article reporting that he invited Barack Obama ( a hard core liberal who supports partial birth abortion) to speak from his pulpit. What in the world is he thinking? Doesn't this really tell us all we need to know about Rick Warren?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

no he's not, he is, imho, a good pastor and servant of God

imho, I would never invite a republican or democrat to preach from a pulpit of a church where I was serving...politics and christianity don't mix.

but if you're going to you might as well invite whom ever you deem fit. Barak Obama is an excellent speaker (and by all accounts) a good Christian. If his particular political persausion on a couple of issues bothers you, than look at President Bush and some of his problematic stances, or any other republica politician and find some of their particularly troubling stances and ask the same questions.

I have no problem with Pastor Warren, and rather agree with his ministry philosophy. I would never invite a politician to a church where I served, much less allow them to share from a pulpit. Your position is against his stances, and while I might disagree, I suggest we also investigate the torubling positions republicans hold as well.

(btw: I believe Barak Obama will be president of the united states on day)

What in the world is he thinking? Doesn't this really tell us all we need to know about Rick Warren?[/quote]

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why don't you push your agenda on a board that actually cares? This has been played out enough here already.

4. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

The facts are the facts. Warren invited Obama into his pulpit and Obama supports killing babies. True or False.

5. Blammo

Blammo New Member

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I don't get enough of people railing against this religious idol. I think Deacon has made a fair observation. Why does a Christian pastor allow a pro baby killer to speak from his pulpit?

"For almost a decade, Obama has been a leader in the Illinois legislature in the battle to protect a woman's right to choose and promote equal economic rights and opportunities." - (Source: Campaign website, ObamaForIllinois.com May 2, 2004)​

"Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" - Amos 3:3

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most people do not know Rick Warren. You claim to know little about him other than to say you know enough from your detailed research that he is "new age". You have provided no citations where you draw your extensive research from. Amazing how many people get sucked in by the "detailed research" of others. It is no wonder that non-believers think of so many Christians as stupid.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many times they mix very well depending on the person. There are just as many crooks pastoring churches just as there are honest politicians. Weekly we read and hear about some fallen pastor who ignored the warings and kept feeding his "pet alligator" only to be found out by his own sin.

9. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It doesn't take much research to determine that the Message is a New Age Bible and that Mr. Warren promotes it. It doesn't take much research to read Mr. Warren's book to see how he promotes New Age practices. It doesn't take much research to know that Warren walks together with New Agers like Ken Blanchard. It is no wonder that many believers find many Christians to have an awareness of the world equivalent to an ostrich.

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

All I can say about this thread is consider the source, i.e., World Net Daily. Enough said?

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Are you saying that Barack Obama has not in fact been invited to speak at Rick Warren's church on December 1, 2006?

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

No, of course not. However, World Net Daily is not known for honest and objective news reporting. All one has to do is read the majority of articles WND has to offer, including the link to the one Blammo posted. If one has a point to prove I would suggest using credible news sources. I would suggest one without superfluous and ridiculous analogies.

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I would share your concerns that WND is a neocon propagandist news outlet. However, rather than a neocon bias, I suspect that the article in question has a rather Christian bias which I am not opposed to.

Setting aside the superfluous and ridiculous analogies, Mr. Warren is in fact having a Senator from Illinois, who is unapologetically pro-choice, (or otherwise stated is an accessory to murder) speak from his pulpit. Mr. Warren is allowing this, all in the name of fighting against HIV/AIDS, a disease of behavorial consequence/curses. It would seem the Christian response would be to take a stand in defense of innocent life, rather than to give primary importance to a disease that is a consequence of sin.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If the politician was a preacher I would let him preach. Hopefully he knows the Gospel from a campaign speach. If not, I don't mind pulling a Man's coat tail if I have to. I've done it before.

15. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Thursday, November 16, 2006
    Barack Obama: Angel of Light, or Anti-Christ - Rick Warren knows...
    Posted by: Kevin McCullough at 4:48 PM

Boy, here we go again...

Remember this?

Now Rick Warren of Saddleback Community Church in Southern California has one upped Hybels/Clinton 2000.

Barack Obama will not only speak at Warren's church at his upcoming AIDS conference, but also sought Warren's feedback on his new book.

What "common ground" could Obama and Warren possibly have on AIDS? It's bad and something needs to be done?

SURE - but what?

Obama believes in condoms, Warren is biblically bound to believe in abstinence...
    Obama believes in abortion, Warren is biblically bound to believe in life...
    Obama fought for the right of hospitals to allow children to die outside the womb... i.e. Christ Hospital in Chicago.
    Obama fights against the protection of the institution of marriage on the state and federal levels...
    Obama promotes homosexual unions as being the same thing as marriage...
    Obama believes advocates for "hate speech" laws that would require the silencing of clergy on the issue of homosexuality and the relation that behavior has to the practicing of faith...
    Obama so strongly believes in abortion, that in running for the United States Senate in Illinois he had his wife write a letter to the voters of Illinois to assure them that he is a champion of abortion rights...
    Obama (when he occassionally attends) goes to a Chicago "church" that does not adhere to any doctrinally sound positions in its theology...

My question to Rick Warren is - would you essentially invite the anti-Christ to share your pulpit simply because you both think that "something needs to be done" about AIDS?

Rick Warren's staff should hear from any who are bothered by this... here's the phone number: 949.609.8000. You can (and should) e-mail them here as well.

Rick, we're waiting...

http://kevinmccullough.townhall.com/g/04a0ada0-4cb9-47eb-92b4-8d46535a44af

16. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Why in the heavens should I care about Rick Warren? I'm not a part of his flock, and no one here claims to be. If he's a bad shepard the sheep should be able to move on by themselves because I'm not leaving my Church to rescue them. You all should care about your own Churches as well instead of posting about anothers unless you're aruond a hundered miles from it.

17. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I simply linked to the story so people could see what the OP was referring to. It was not my intention to distract from the point of this thread. Now we have to discuss the source?!?

Is it true that Rick Warren invited Barak Obama to speak at Saddleback?
    If so, what do you think about that?
    Is it true that Barak Obama promotes special rights for homosexuals?
    Is it true that Barak Obama promotes the right to abortion at any time for any reason?

WorldNetDaily may not be the best source for unbiased information, but is there ANY truth to the story I linked to, or is it all a lie because of the source?

18. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If the purpose driven plague only affected Saddleback it would be a non-issue. However, Rick Warren is more than just a pastor of a local church and thus it infects many.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Many Christians differ in view on most of these issues also. This is clear by just reading this board. I would hope Obama would not preach any of these topics.

As for AIDS support, I like the fact they are doing something. Sure, I would like to see abstinance before marriage but if you can't refraim, then I suppose protected is safer than unprotected. I appreciate Rick standing up to make a noise. Most of the Church is silent.

In short, I love any Christian who sticks to their guns and push to see the morals of the kingdom instituted in every life. However, this is like a starving man complaining about the table cloth. Sometimes it's better to serve the food on paper plates and keep praying we'll get good china some day than to let the world starve because we don't have good plates. I know the Lord doesn't comprimise his values but man has proven he can't live according to the law.

20. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

how many churches does he preach from? If it's still just one Church, no one should be intimidated by the size, stature, or even their biblical authority and understanding. If he's flexing and stunting his Church around or weilding it against other Churches and Demonations, then we have issues that we can sit around and do nothing but post about.