1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rick Warren gushes over Catholics

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone surprised that Catholic doctrine has not changed since the Reformation?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, it wasn't my intent to malign Luther or his ministry, but to accentuate the ongoing disagreement with the Reformers on the ID of The Whore (even a lot of PBs believe as he), and to give the girls here a good measure to go by before they start squealing accusations of anti-Semitism. And you're right, each statement which is listed needs to be read in context, which that article does not do.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Uh ... really? Don't think so. Paul's major subject throughout his writings is "sola fida, faith alone. That breaks down into several subcategories.

One of his main focuses is justification by faith, the concept that humans are saved from sin by believing in Jesus. That negates works.

Jewish tradition focused on ritual observations and living according to Jewish law. Paul created a theological framework for understanding that Jesus' death and resurrection triggered a fundamental change in humanity's relationship with God--a relationship in which faith, rather than behavior, was the central element.

Yes, he mentions false religions. But the didn't make up anywhere near "most" of his epistles. And I believe Paul would be guided by the simple question, relative to Warren, "Is the gospel being preached?" Most of you here will claim "No" to be the answer.

You're wrong. Get over it.

4. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

TND, sorry but you are wrong, Colossians, Galatians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, 1 Corinthians and 2 Thessalonians all have false religions confronted by Paul. And Rick Warren needs to preach the whole gospel and not just what is easy for idolaters hear. He needs to repent and ask for forgiveness to the thousands of churches he has ruined.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know, and I didn't mean to imply that it was. It was the purpose of the site on which his comments were listed. I was just saying we need to be careful. :type:

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post brother. You make many good points.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ive gotten on you over things you have posted about RW in the past that were in error, but on this we agree. From the beginning I have said he receives far too much criticism for things he shouldn't, but this is not one of them. It is sickening to hear him refer to the pope as "our pope" and gush over how the pope is doing " everything right " around the 14 minute mark. It is also one thing to partner with unbelievers (the catholic church as a whole) over things like feeding the hungry, mental health, etc....but to invite them to your church in full support and encouragement of their "new evangelism" is anti biblical.

#47 webdog, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  8. thisnumbersdisconnected

You are the one who is wrong. You are referring to a few verses among entire epistles, with the exception of the letter to the church at Galatia, which is essentially a confrontation of the Judiazers. Nonetheless, his writing continued, even in that book, to be about God's grace, and faith given through that grace. To claim he wrote "most of his epistles to point out false religion" is simply bad commentary.

#48 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gospel of Rome saves no sinner, and the papacy is NOT getting inspiration to teach the doctrines of God, as that proof is in the doctrines held by Rome, that negate the Cross and resurrection of Jesus!

10. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, I looked back and I did say he wrote the Epistle's to refute error, I should have said he wrote in most of his Epistle's concerning false religions. Does that sound better. Thanks